A Van

VIN #: 11753
Spaxed

Re: Vin 11766 Middle Eastern Car

Postby marwood82 » Mon May 27, 2019 12:40 pm

A Van wrote:What happened to the gearbox

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

long story...

it went up to Eds to have the cold start looked at, and he noticed that the gearbox was leaking oil.
now its always had a slow leak that looked like the crank case seal but it was very slow so id figured id wait until the clutch needed servicing before getting it changed.

however it seemed the leak had gotten much worse, as it also appeared that under the paint on the transmission casing, there was a lot of blue sealant that seemed to be letting oil through.

so it was decided to haul the box out, and have all the gaskets changed.

upon doing so, it was found where the the main part of the leak was coming from

case.jpg
case.jpg (294.82 KiB) Viewed 4727 times

the bearing case had chunk missing out of it along with a crack that ran into gearbox.

after a discussion and concluding that the case was toast, Ed managed to find a spare case and rebuilt the gearbox in that.

he also found the bolts in the clutch plate were from the automatic and were consequently too big and slowing being worn down.

all fixed i went and collected it and started the 400km drive back home.

when i stopped for fuel half way home, i selected reverse to pull out of the carpark space and when i lifted the clutch, i got an odd noise followed by the car lurching forwards and then stalling. i then discovered that i could no longer move the stick.

thinking it might be the linkage, i dismantled the shifter cover in the service station car park and found this.

DSC_1786.JPG
DSC_1786.JPG (4.77 MiB) Viewed 4727 times

the rotating arm on the shifter was cracked and bent and it wouldnt come out of gear.

cue calling ADAC to get it towed to safety and then a call to Ed to get it trucked back to his place.

he found that the plate the shifter had been mounted on was moving by about 500-800mm when you pulled up on the stick to select reverse.
so over time it had been slowly bending this arm until eventually it had failed. the result was that when i selected reverse it had basically tried to select 2 gears at once bent a few things in side the box and jammed it in gear.

so, gearbox out again to be taken apart and repaired, the shifter arm was repaired and re-enforcement plating was added to the area around the shifter to stop it from flexing.

this time i was able to drive it home no problem.

however once home i noticed a whining noise that appeared to be related to use of the clutch. As i was taking it to wolfgang hanks for its MOT i asked him to take a look. turns out it was the clutch throwout bearing.

so gearbox out again and new bearing and pressure plate fitted!

so after all that it does now seem to work ok, the shift is not as clunky as before, .

though the re-centering on the stick could be better, im very keen not to mess with it at the moment!!
marwood82

VIN #: #11766

Re: Vin 11766 Middle Eastern Car

Postby marwood82 » Mon May 27, 2019 3:20 pm

that should read 5mm/8mm (80 cm would be a lot! :-) )
marwood82

VIN #: #11766

Previous

Return to Middle Eastern Cars