VIN 11777 Middle Eastern Car - Carl's Car

Subsection of cars originally sent out to the Middle East

Re: VIN 11777 Middle Eastern Car - Carl's Car

Postby Domi » Sun Sep 27, 2009 12:22 pm

What a great story :P
You're lucky to get this old pictures and know more about the past of your car.
Anyway, for the repair,in 1985, I think Ed Berstein already had a garage, not called "D One" at that time, but I guess he already had some spares parts.
It would be nice to get in touch with him and try to know more about that :idea:
Domi Vin#16951
Domi

VIN #: 16951
Spaxed

Postby Peter Filsell » Sun Sep 27, 2009 4:09 pm

Great Work Carl! This can't be the whole article can it??? :lol:

Would be great if someone can fill in the blanks. Really love the Dubai photos and interesting to see the aerial in the wing.

Working in the insurance industry I don't think official 'write off' records go that far back to try and discover the 'other' car, providing they claimed on the insurance?

Gotta love these cars history.....
Peter Filsell
FIL675
Vin #1772

DeLorean Club

The Future's Bright....
The Future's
DeLorean Club

...I've been Imageed by DCUK...
Peter Filsell

VIN #: 1772
Spaxed

Postby arranj » Sun Sep 27, 2009 4:29 pm

Wow Carl! Really good, thanks for the history, we love it don't we?!

I would guess that the aerial could quite easily have been drilled into the donor wing, and would probably have been the sensible option, given that your windscreen is a "plain" one?

As for "making 1 good car out of a bad one" - wow! Seems quite radical - especially if all the panels have been transferred from the VIN#6xx one - what was wrong with that car?!
Arran | DCUK 004 | VIN #1764 | Official DeLorean Club World Headquarters, Norfolk, UK

Das Webmeister
DeLorean Club

arranj

VIN #: 1764
Spaxed

Postby carl hammond » Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:33 pm

Aw shucks, thank you guys for your kind comments. I'm glad that you have enjoyed reading the story as much as I did writing it! :D

Although none of this would have been possible had we not been able to track down the car's first (well second) owner. For this, I have Alistair to thank, as he was the one who successfully made contact with Tim and his excellent communication skills helped us to retrieve this key information. Cheers Al, you're a top man! :D

arranj wrote:Wow Carl! Really good, thanks for the history, we love it don't we?!

I would guess that the aerial could quite easily have been drilled into the donor wing, and would probably have been the sensible option, given that your windscreen is a "plain" one?

As for "making 1 good car out of a bad one" - wow! Seems quite radical - especially if all the panels have been transferred from the VIN#6xx one - what was wrong with that car?!

Arran, yes I imagine that the hole for the aerial could have been drilled in had they used the "other" wing. I'm pretty sure that is not the original wing on my car now as it has never shown any signs of damage? If it is, it would've had to been repaired bloody well and this was almost certainly before Chris Nicholson burst onto the scene with his unique talent!

This is an old pic of the car that was sent to me when Nick still owned it. It shows the original aeriel, anything unusual about it? The aeriel has since been replaced by Chris N when he carried out bodywork on the car earlier this year. The old one looked a little scruffy after the re-brush, so Chris put me a new one on, although I still have a key for the old one!

The question is, which one was the "good" car? I'm beginning to wonder!! :lol:

Seriously though, I have a sneaky suspicion that the other car was probably in good condition (although maybe a non-runner?) Maybe it was a write off that couldn't be legally returned to the road? Or as previously mentioned, maybe it simply didn't have a VIN plate like some of the early cars? Maybe it was stolen? :o

It does seems strange why they chose to keep the original underbody from VIN 11777 and extensively repair this, rather than use the other underbody? Also, I have very good reason to believe that the other car used was a manual, as it appears the frame on my car has been slightly hacked about in which looks like someone was trying to accommodate an automatic transmission!

I know that Dave Howarth saw my car at Mcfall's back in the early 90's. From what he could recall, it was complete at the time, just caked in dust! If correct, it suggests the car was salvaged and restored very quickly by Mcfall's (somewhere between 1985-1991/93) and then left. Of course what's to suggest that the car that Dave saw that day was even mine? maybe he saw the donor??? :?

One thing's for sure, I am determined to get to the bottom of this mystery and I still have a couple of leads to try... so watch this space guys... ;)

All the best

Carl
Carlos
#VIN11777 - Middle East. ;)

Dubai Rep
DeLorean Club

DeLorean Club - "Friends with benefits"
carl hammond

VIN #: 11777
Spaxed

Postby jerzybondov » Sun Sep 27, 2009 8:28 pm

Carl... fascinating stuff. Nice one. :D

Keep us posted as and when you find out more!
VIN 7176
Official Club Reaper Extraordinaire.
jerzybondov

VIN #: 7176
Spaxed

Postby KMC-DMC » Sun Sep 27, 2009 8:53 pm

Wow - thats a great story. The history of many our cars is fascinating. Good luck with the rest of the research.
Kevin
KMC-DMC
Ex owner of VIN 2969
London
KMC-DMC

VIN #: Ex 2969
Spaxed

Postby Admin-bloke » Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:12 am

Top story Carl, nice to hear about a cars history.......I wonder what mine has to offer?
Admin-bloke, "The D Whisperer"
Pie n Pint Northerner....
Vin #4068 - y'official "Mighty Auto" test car for Admin-bloke tuning.

https://www.justgiving.com/campnibble

Forum Founder [means I just installed it........] and Tech Help
DeLorean Club

The Future's Bright....
The Future's
DeLorean Club
Admin-bloke

VIN #: 4068
Spaxed

Postby carl hammond » Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:52 am

OK, I've got an itch that needs to be scratched now! :P

I just rang Mcfall's and spoke to 'Mrs Mcfall'. Although she wasn't involved in the project, I figured she would've at least remembered the car as no-one can forget a car like a DeLorean... and I was right! :D

As you might expect her memories of this are vague - we are talking 20 odd years ago now! However, I managed to get a couple of nuggets of info:

There WERE 2 cars and they were both COMPLETE!

They acquired VIN 11777 in Oct 1986 - a year on from when it was written off in France. Can we assume that the car just sat in the scrap yard in Kent for all of this time?

I can't figure out for the life of me if they had 2 complete cars, why they could not restore both of them and why did they go to the trouble of stripping mine down to use the underbody?!?!?

ARRRRRGGGGHHHH MY BRAIN HURTS!!! :?

All the best

Carl
Carlos
#VIN11777 - Middle East. ;)

Dubai Rep
DeLorean Club

DeLorean Club - "Friends with benefits"
carl hammond

VIN #: 11777
Spaxed

Postby Admin-bloke » Mon Sep 28, 2009 12:51 pm

Probably had engineering capabilities like the people in:

http://thereifixedit.com/
Admin-bloke, "The D Whisperer"
Pie n Pint Northerner....
Vin #4068 - y'official "Mighty Auto" test car for Admin-bloke tuning.

https://www.justgiving.com/campnibble

Forum Founder [means I just installed it........] and Tech Help
DeLorean Club

The Future's Bright....
The Future's
DeLorean Club
Admin-bloke

VIN #: 4068
Spaxed

Postby A Van » Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:35 pm

Did she mention if the other car was damaged at all?
Alistair V

Vin 11753 - B/Auto - Kuwait, painted black
Ex Vin 11766 - B/Auto - Dubai
Ex 11622, 6064

RIP Mike 'Bozzy' Bosworth 19/04/1969 - 31/12/2015

Official Spokesperson and Media Liaison Officer, and off road Buggy flipper
DeLorean Club

The Future's Bright....
The Future's
DeLorean Club
A Van

VIN #: 11753