Vin 11789 - refurb

Subsection of cars originally sent out to the Middle East

Vin 11789 - refurb

Postby Spudmurphy » Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:33 pm

So I bought Vin 11789 - and I realised the amount of work required to get this car back on the road.

So I'm about to start the refurb, get it MOT'd and registered for UK roads.

This car was a risk - the petrol tank was out, the radiator was drained down, what was the engine like? would the autobox work?

I went to see it whilst working in Scotland and clambered underneath. I liked the state of the frame .... I could see that this car had potential!! .... So I bought it after consulting with Alistair.

Now after having the car in my possession for 6 weeks or so, I think it's best that I kick off my account of the work that I've done, will be doing and cries for help let's kick off with delivery time !!! The sun louvre was secured during transit - don't worry!!

The gullwings were secured too...... for you eagle eyed the rear quarters were secured with tie wraps.

No working engine and no brakes and a tight 90 degree bend into the garage meant lots of willing helpers!!
L-R My #2 sons mate (Computer whizz); #2 son (Geological Scientist); #1 son (Can't tell you what he does - secret!); my mate (Doc Brown lookalike) #2 sons girlfriend; another mate (ex Sam Hammams minder - and grunt provider)
Curtains courtesy of Laura Ashley

It fits!!

It was a real party atmosphere, people across the street said that it was the most exciting thing that had happened on the street in the last 30 years!

Well that's it for now, will update the thread over the coming days, with some things I've done so far.
Vin 11789 one of the 50 Middle Eastern Cars
Spudmurphy

VIN #: 11789

Re: Vin 11789 - refurb

Postby Domi » Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:57 pm

Congratulation on your purchase, you saved another DMC12 :thumbsup:
I've seen some pic of your car, even if it has a lot of work, it deserved to be restored :)
Can't wait to see the progress on your topic, good luck ;)
Domi Vin#16951
Domi

VIN #: 16951
Spaxed

Re: Vin 11789 - refurb

Postby Spudmurphy » Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:44 pm

Thank you Domi.
Yes it does need to be restored - there's been quite a few pictures of it over the years - and it looks rough.
HOWEVER, already the stainless has cleaned up nice. Yes there are some stainless repairs required - the Roof T section is the worst - oh - the bonnet is kind of toast too - but I'm not giving up on it !!
I think underneath it looks great. There will be plenty of pics posted over the coming days before the Amsterdam trip.
Vin 11789 one of the 50 Middle Eastern Cars
Spudmurphy

VIN #: 11789

Return to Middle Eastern Cars