MOT consultation

Welcome to the DeLorean Club Forum, this area is for general DeLorean chat

MOT consultation

Postby andyd » Fri Sep 23, 2016 4:51 pm

I havent drilled into this, but posted up in case it is important... It does affect us after all...

https://www.gov.uk/government/consultat ... c-interest

a
andyd

VIN #: 814

Re: MOT consultation

Postby A Van » Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:19 pm

Will take a look
Alistair V

Vin 11753 - B/Auto - Kuwait, painted black
Ex Vin 11766 - B/Auto - Dubai
Ex 11622, 6064

RIP Mike 'Bozzy' Bosworth 19/04/1969 - 31/12/2015

Official Spokesperson and Media Liaison Officer, and off road Buggy flipper
DeLorean Club

The Future's Bright....
The Future's
DeLorean Club
A Van

VIN #: 11753
Spaxed

Postby andyd » Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:42 pm

Hmmmm. As I suspected, extremely boring! However, potentially important. I always dread MOTs, but have very good testers. I normally pass. I would like the D to be exempt. Most d's are not significantly modified, > 30years old and no longer in production. (Dmch?!)

I have a substantially modified bike, registered 1955 which doesn't need testing. I like this! But not much of that bike dates from 55 (tho much is late 70s, and some is modern to a 70s pattern)

However, would I like pre 1987 cars and thus slso bikes to be exempt?? Not sure...

Perhaps worthy of discussion? Darren, any opinion if you see this?
andyd

VIN #: 814

Postby Darren C » Tue Sep 27, 2016 3:02 pm

I think it will ultimately come into force on a rolling basis , like Historic tax exemption as it cannot be fairly enforced based on an age (pre 1960)which doesn’t currently change as time passes.
It’ll divide opinion just like the existing MOT exemptions.
Personally my concern is that cars of the 1960s & 70’s were made of poor steel quality unlike those of the 1950’s, so corrosion is more likely to cause safety issues on cars that go un-checked.
Equally a lot depends on chance, in plain numbers there are more 60’s and 70’s cars still in existence than 50’s cars due to the boom in manufacture and sales in these decades. This increases again in the 80’s. The more cars that go MOT exempt, the risk that there’s going to be a safety related accident that could have been avoided by having an MOT, increases.
True enthusiasts will obviously maintain their cars, but humans are lazy and deceitful by evolution, so with an increase in the numbers of MOT exempt cars, there’s going to be some death traps resurrected and back on the roads.
It’s inevitable the law will evolve, but without other measures in force it may not be such a good idea in time.
@classiccarguru1
Darren C

VIN #: 4532
Spaxed

Return to Welcome! ... General DeLorean chat