Hibernation - winter is coming

Welcome to the DeLorean Club Forum, this area is for general DeLorean chat

Re: Hibernation - winter is coming

Postby DMCDELLBOY » Sun Nov 27, 2016 5:20 pm

what a lovely day just took the d out for a 100 mile run perfek :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
DMCDELLBOY

VIN #: 11075

Postby jamesrguk » Mon Nov 28, 2016 10:01 am

Nothing like jinx'ing yourself as I'm sat with steam pissing out the back of my car 1/2 way to work!!!!

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
jamesrguk

VIN #: 5462
Spaxed

Postby Horsebox » Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:27 pm

jamesrguk wrote:Nothing like jinx'ing yourself as I'm sat with steam pissing out the back of my car 1/2 way to work!!!!

That's pants, I feel for you having had a similar experience recently. Did a hose blow off? I had the overheat but not the steam-athon and was lucky as I was a half mile from home.

Otterstat failure do you reckon? What did the temp gauge do? I swear I spend almost as much time looking at the gauge as I do looking at the road
Horsebox

VIN #: 06042

Postby jamesrguk » Mon Nov 28, 2016 8:14 pm

Caught it early, quick refill and all appears fine, I've spotted a damp mark on the floor in the garage I think it had been very slowly dripping from the joint between the radiator and the 1st rubber hose it obviously got below the minimum and thus kicked up a fuss. I didn't have to suffer the shame of an AA recovery, father in law to the rescue with bottles of water.

jamesrguk

VIN #: 5462
Spaxed

Postby bjbrownie » Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:18 pm

I don't believe in 'hibernation' -we've had some great days out doing a bit of winter driving, I think it's more detrimental to have a car sitting unused for months rather than cleaning a wee bit of salt and muck off (let's face it,we all love to clean our cars!) and there's some nice dry weather now!
Attachments
image.jpeg
Winter motoring!
image.jpeg (1.1 MiB) Viewed 3146 times
bjbrownie

VIN #: #10556

Postby dannyj75 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:18 pm

After all this I taxed the car and took it out for a nice little spin on Saturday!
I won't be taking the car out on horrible wet days if i can avoid it but just want to keep the brakes working.
dannyj75

VIN #: 3320

Postby A Van » Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:15 am

dannyj75 wrote:After all this I taxed the car and took it out for a nice little spin on Saturday!
I won't be taking the car out on horrible wet days if i can avoid it but just want to keep the brakes working.

Nice !
Alistair V

Vin 11753 - B/Auto - Kuwait, painted black
Ex Vin 11766 - B/Auto - Dubai
Ex 11622, 6064

RIP Mike 'Bozzy' Bosworth 19/04/1969 - 31/12/2015

Official Spokesperson and Media Liaison Officer, and off road Buggy flipper
DeLorean Club

The Future's Bright....
The Future's
DeLorean Club
A Van

VIN #: 11753
Spaxed

Postby jerzybondov » Mon Dec 19, 2016 3:59 pm

I went over to my Dad's yesterday where the D has been 'resting' for two or three months. Thought I'd check her over for mice, spiders, mould etc. And of course running issues.

Absolutely no biological invasions, and when I turned the key, she started up on the first spin of the starter before settling down to a perfect idle. Drove her back and forwards a bit to work the brakes and the clutch, warmed the engine up and then turned her off.

Perfect. She can keep on hibernating as far as I'm concerned!!
VIN 7176
Official Club Reaper Extraordinaire.
jerzybondov

VIN #: 7176
Spaxed

Postby Horsebox » Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:13 am

Can I rent some of your Dad's garage for my D too please :-) Mine decayed last winter sat in the garage - brakes stopped un-stopping. Snow chains are on this year! Who needs antiskid and traction control when you have no power anyway.

When you say it started on first spin of the starter, did it start on the first crank attempt (maybe firing after a few seconds), or it started instantly you turned the key?

I ask because I have a primary pressure that builds very slowly, maybe 6 seconds from zero pressure. Even if I haven't started it for just a week it will turn over somewhat (3 secs??) before bursting into life. Nothing to grumble about I know....but I'm curious to know why. Accumulator doesn't leak.

Mark
Horsebox

VIN #: 06042

Postby jerzybondov » Sun Dec 25, 2016 9:48 pm

The car often takes a few seconds on the starter before she fires up - and as much as 10 seconds and a whack of throttle if the engine is semi-warm (caught in that weird space between cold and hot, say an hour after it was last running) - but it didn't even feel like it needed that few seconds this time.

I don't think needing a few cranks is all that unusual :D
VIN 7176
Official Club Reaper Extraordinaire.
jerzybondov

VIN #: 7176
Spaxed

PreviousNext

Return to Welcome! ... General DeLorean chat