New Cleaner (better than Barkeepers?)

Welcome to the DeLorean Club Forum, this area is for general DeLorean chat

Re: New Cleaner (better than Barkeepers?)

Postby iudexmaximus » Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:47 am

So, early tests have been performed, in order to find the best way to apply these products, on.. my kitchen sink :mrgreen:
This sink is nearly as old as the delorean, so it's a good benchmark :lol:
Both products should be applied on a cloth, and not directly on the steel surface.

I started first with BKF: it's a white powder (...) with light abrasive and degreasing agents. It removes the dirt laying on the steel, nearly without polishing and without leaving marks. If you take a look at the cloth at the end of the process, you can see the abrasive effects: light black marks will be there, but no as strong as with the dodo.
In any case, you need to rinse the surface after having applied the bkf.
The surface is more matt than with the dodo, so teh abrasive effects are lighter.
In my opinion, the bottle should be provided with a filter on the weighing hole since it's very hard to perform a proper weighing: the risk to overweigh is concrete.

I skipped this area during the cleaning process:

Now, my mother is very happy because the sink has never been so shining :lol:

Steel kleen, on the opposite side, is competely different: it's a watery liquid in a gas-free spray bottle. It seems that it doesn't contain abrasives, since it doesn't leave black residus on the cloth.
Its behaviour is similar to WD40: it cleans and at first it leaves a slightly greasy film, but then absolutely undetectable when it's dry. You don't need to rinse the surface.
So, if you wait some minutes after having applied the products and then you touch the surface with your fingers, no fingerprints will be there! :shock:

iudexmaximus

VIN #: 00878

Postby iudexmaximus » Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:43 pm

So, time has come to test BKF and Steelkleen on a real delorean panel!

The panel was split again in three areas: the left one was assigned to BKF, the right one to steel kleen and the middle one to steelkleen again, but without any additional pumping from the bottle.
I would like to remember you that the left area has been treated with Dodo Juice product and a lot of black polishing residus was trapped inside the grain.

So, time to start with BKF: will I succeed in removing the black residus in the grain?
Optimism - Episode 4 :lol:

It's not easy to weight the BKF on a towel..

I respected the grain direction..

Time to rinse!

Yes: the black is gone!

And the surface is really bright and shining!

Now, let's apply steel kleen on the right side

These marks won't be buffed..

We made the fingerprints test: no marks left!

We used the same wet cloth, without pumping any more steel kleen, to detail the small area in the middle with good coverage..

In this picture you can see the difference among the surfaces

Will BKF remove rust dots?
Yes, it will: I used a very very very small amount of BKF (the owner was worried about ruining the grain and be forced to regrain the whole car or treat the whole car with BKF) on the first dot on the left and the result was fine if compared to the untreated ones.

So:

- is your steel dull, neglected since a long time, scratched and not shining? Apply BKF, being careful to mask rubber and plastic areas and rinse carefully.
- is your steel recently grained, shining and beautiful looking and you want to protect it from tirekickers fingerprints? Apply steel kleen with a microfibre and in half an hour your job is done.
iudexmaximus

VIN #: 00878

Postby DMC GLEN » Sat Oct 02, 2010 10:46 pm

hi all

on the cleaner side i here that dave h is either selling a load off or the doc are selling to there new members :lol: :lol: :lol:
Glen Hale
DCUK 006
(OFFICE) 0121 270 7306

http://www.ghservicesuk.co.uk
Security & Communications Services
DeLorean Club

The Future's Bright....
The Future's
DeLorean Club
DMC GLEN

VIN #: VIN LESS
Spaxed

Postby MikeWard » Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:34 pm

Sorry to bump an old topic, but what was the end outcome of testing the debruce cleaner?

I will be needing to buy some cleaning poducts shortly so wanted to know if this was available, or if I should go with bar keepers? Speaking of bar keepers, do we still only get the powder version in the UK?
DeLorean Club

The Future's Bright....
The Future's
DeLorean Club
MikeWard

VIN #: 04708

Postby A Van » Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:13 pm

Hi Mike

DeBruce is good...but abrasive and not ideal on brushed stainless.

SteelKleen works great on normal stains, but if you get lots of grime, rain etc..and it wont shift with Steelkleen then something a little stronger is needed.

The twins (Ian and Shane) use a sponge or mellomene pad which they have cleaned a few cars at Eurotec with...including Admin Blokes..which looked stunning.

This is the same sponge below.

http://www.lake-renewable-energy.com/in ... 9504130582

Works wonders!
Alistair V

Vin 11753 - B/Auto - Kuwait, painted black
Ex Vin 11766 - B/Auto - Dubai
Ex 11622, 6064

RIP Mike 'Bozzy' Bosworth 19/04/1969 - 31/12/2015

Official Spokesperson and Media Liaison Officer, and off road Buggy flipper
DeLorean Club

The Future's Bright....
The Future's
DeLorean Club
A Van

VIN #: 11753
Spaxed

Postby cis6409 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:16 pm

hi guys/al
yes i still use the mellomene pad to clean the cars and its still as brilliant as ever imo. really gets tough stains out like in built grime ,rust, oil, dust etc i use the green metal cleaner mixed with water with the mellomene pad and will shift anything buried deep within the grain and allows the natural shine of the grain to come thru, then just dry off with chamois and buff with a microfibre cloth
the company can supply a 'delorean care kit' if you like, its called http://www.jskcleaning.ie - tadgh o shea is the man to e-mail there if you want to give it a go...
cheers
shane
cis6409

VIN #: 6409

Postby MikeWard » Wed May 25, 2011 11:46 am

A Van wrote:The twins (Ian and Shane) use a sponge or mellomene pad which they have cleaned a few cars at Eurotec with...including Admin Blokes..which looked stunning.

This is the same sponge below.

http://www.lake-renewable-energy.com/in ... 9504130582

Works wonders!

I washed the car last night using this, you weren't kidding when you said it works wonders. My car hasn't looked this clean since I picked it up from Chris back in March! Not sure what the correct method should be, but I was cleaning the whole car using the pad and a bucket of zipwax.

Only downside that I found, is that the pad seems to disintegrate after some time. The half of the sponge I used had to be binned at the end of the wash.

cis6409 wrote:the company can supply a 'delorean care kit' if you like, its called http://www.jskcleaning.ie - tadgh o shea is the man to e-mail there if you want to give it a go...
Based on the results I've seen, I might just do that :) Any idea on price for a dmc cleaning kit?

On another note, what do most folks use to clean/condition the leather?
DeLorean Club

The Future's Bright....
The Future's
DeLorean Club
MikeWard

VIN #: 04708

Postby cis6409 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:38 pm

hi
yes the mellomene pad will break down after couple of goes unfortunately but i get in rectangular block form and just tear off small patch off it and use one "patch" per panel.

also you can use the mellomene to clean the windows and headlights etc its brill at cleaning glass of all types - just dip the pad in plain water and clean the glass followed by drying with a chamois.. works wonders

i cant remember the price for sure but somewhere around the 65euro mark including p+p. but that should last you 6 months to a year depending on how much you clean the car

ive also just tryed a new product to the range called 'beyond kleen'. this you apply to the car after cleaning it with the mellomene and it gives it protective sheen coat. its kul cause you can apply it to everywhere; the steel, bumpers trim and all the black stuff and gives it a nice even look all over
cheers
shane
Last edited by cis6409 on Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cis6409

VIN #: 6409

Postby Admin-bloke » Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:43 pm

Cheers for the info Shane :)

It won't be the same this year not swapping engine tunes for car cleaning !
Admin-bloke, "The D Whisperer"
Pie n Pint Northerner....
Vin #4068 - y'official "Mighty Auto" test car for Admin-bloke tuning.

https://www.justgiving.com/campnibble

Forum Founder [means I just installed it........] and Tech Help
DeLorean Club

The Future's Bright....
The Future's
DeLorean Club
Admin-bloke

VIN #: 4068
Spaxed

Postby bozzzydmc » Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:45 pm

LOL ! Funny but true ;)
Bozzzy | DCUK 003 | Yorkshire, UK

DeLorean Club
bozzzydmc

PreviousNext

Return to Welcome! ... General DeLorean chat