Bad Cop, Good Cop

Welcome to the DeLorean Club Forum, this area is for general DeLorean chat

Bad Cop, Good Cop

Postby RobvdVeer » Thu May 06, 2010 5:46 pm

A story of incomprehensible friendliness
By Rob

Last week i got a letter from the regional police somewhere in my little country of windmills and clogs. The letter was pretty official and i immediately felt weak in the knees. What follows is a rough translation of the letter, as it was sent to me in the language of my own country.

"Last sunday, 25th of april 201, at the time of 18:25 of our lord, an automated routine check was done on the A15 highway near [place]. At that check, we found that the vehicle known by the registration number PL1830-2010040875-21910, DeLorean DMC, Gray, Netherlands, License plat RG-40-ZF, chassisnumber SCEDT26T9BD003695, model '81, was not registered as WA insured (ed. WA means mandatory liability).

Because the given license has been given to you, I urge you to confirm within 15 days that the vehicle was indeed insured at the date of April 25th.

[jadajada]

If you don't comply to this order, we may be required to impound the noted vehicle. If the car has not been insured, you must take the vehicle of the open road.

Regards,

[more jadada]"

As soon as i read this letter i mailed my insurance company. "Why not insured? According to my information i have no backpayments or whatever". Next day the company called me back and said I shouldn't worry because everything was fine, and they'd send me a confirmation letter i should forward to the police.

A couple of days passed, including some bank holidays, but no letter yet.

The phone rings.

"Hello sir, this is officer [name] of the local police of [place]. Are you mr. van der Veer, owner of this and that vehicle?"

"Yes I am how can i help you?"

"Yes good that I have found you. I've been trying to reach you for a couple of days concerning the insurance of your car."

I start explaining, but he interrupts me:

"I just want to let you know that i've been investigating the issue, because I found it hard to believe that somebody with such a car was driving around uninsured on purpose. I've contacted your insurance company to verify the status of your insurance and they confirmed it was in fact insured. They also gave me your phone number. After doing some more research, i found that the administration of the license plate was in fact not properly updated in the database at the RDV (Dutch MOT), causing our mailing system to send you an automated letter. This issue has now been corrected so that you will no longer be bothered by us for this incident. Also, we apologize for the error, the letter and the fact that RDV was at fault.

Furthermore, since i so much appreciate the nice car, i've been searching for DeLorean on the internet, and with your name and VIN number I read up on your car and the restoration process of your DeLorean. ....... (i could go on and on right here)."

The friendly officer TOOK TIME to research my car with insurance and the internet to prove my innocence. Thank you very much sir.

The world has just become a slightly better place.
Rob van der Veer
RobvdVeer

VIN #: 0b111001101111
Spaxed

Re: Bad Cop, Good Cop

Postby arranj » Thu May 06, 2010 5:52 pm

And that was a party policital broadcast by the Tulip Party...

Now I have no idea who to vote for Rob!

Sounds like he came on this forum then? Maybe TT's avatar got you off the hook! :D
Arran | DCUK 004 | VIN #1764 | Official DeLorean Club World Headquarters, Norfolk, UK

Das Webmeister
DeLorean Club

arranj

VIN #: 1764
Spaxed

Postby bozzzydmc » Thu May 06, 2010 6:11 pm

Gee ....would we expect the same service from our men in blue ??...

.... I think not !!!
Bozzzy | DCUK 003 | Yorkshire, UK

DeLorean Club
bozzzydmc

Postby DeLorean Cars » Thu May 06, 2010 6:12 pm

That's not the kind of service we'd expect in this country. Anything to do with cars it's guilty intil proven innocent.... "computer says no...." :|
DeLorean Cars

VIN #: 4772, 3352

Postby RobvdVeer » Thu May 06, 2010 6:32 pm

You're all right.. we are NOT used to this kind of service. Not even in the Netherlands.

Let me add that i was not pulled over or anything, i just drove past some sort of digital camera.
Rob van der Veer
RobvdVeer

VIN #: 0b111001101111
Spaxed

Postby delorean12uk » Thu May 06, 2010 6:34 pm

got my Cloggs yet Rob???
Vin: Friday afternoon car, because the bastard thing likes to break all the time

Daily Maintenance a Certainty

Delorean Enthusiasts Love Official Reunions Especially At Norfolk

DeLorean Club

The Future's Bright....
The Future's
DeLorean Club
delorean12uk

VIN #: 4989

Postby A Van » Thu May 06, 2010 6:50 pm

Sounds like he should belong to the commonsense party!
Alistair V

Vin 11753 - B/Auto - Kuwait, painted black
Ex Vin 11766 - B/Auto - Dubai
Ex 11622, 6064

RIP Mike 'Bozzy' Bosworth 19/04/1969 - 31/12/2015

Official Spokesperson and Media Liaison Officer, and off road Buggy flipper
DeLorean Club

The Future's Bright....
The Future's
DeLorean Club
A Van

VIN #: 11753