Stainless Exhausts : Fitting Days 26 / 27th September

Welcome to the DeLorean Club Forum, this area is for general DeLorean chat

Re: Stainless Exhausts : Fitting Days 26 / 27th September

Postby arranj » Thu May 06, 2010 8:17 pm

I can't emphasise enough what the sea air does Phil. Everything is rusty! The bodywork is rusty on my car! Every piece of chrome and stainless in my house is rusty! Taps, bins, light fittings, cutlery - you name it!
For rust I am a bad example. Plus I never wash my car! But the black bit in the middle is my point. Unpolished would still look crap on my car I know, but it is the better way IMO.
Arran | DCUK 004 | VIN #1764 | Official DeLorean Club World Headquarters, Norfolk, UK

Das Webmeister
DeLorean Club

arranj

VIN #: 1764
Spaxed

Postby jamesrguk » Fri May 07, 2010 12:10 pm

Phil349 wrote::shock: Doesnt look good for a long life stainless exhaust! What grade of stainless do they use? Even the pipes and welds look rusty. Do you think this is just limited to the polished finish ones? wouldnt have thought so.

Thanks for the pic.

That's not rust or corrision it's just heat discolouration, I have this on mine but the surface is smooth as silk to the touch, no corrosion.

It probably shows up more on the polished version than it does on the un-polished one.

It's a very well made/hand made product and given the man-hours that go in to each one I doubt they'd bother using materials that were'nt up to the job.

James

p.s. I live by the sea too, that's why the DeLorean has out lived the 2 Triumph spitfires I've had
jamesrguk

VIN #: 5462
Spaxed

Postby arranj » Fri May 07, 2010 12:41 pm

James - is yours unpolished then?
Arran | DCUK 004 | VIN #1764 | Official DeLorean Club World Headquarters, Norfolk, UK

Das Webmeister
DeLorean Club

arranj

VIN #: 1764
Spaxed

Postby jamesrguk » Fri May 07, 2010 1:25 pm

arranj wrote:James - is yours unpolished then?

No Mine is polished and looks similar to yours, not quite so bad, but mines only been on for a year.

A short metallurgy lesson: The chromium and nickel in stainless steel oxidizes when exposed to oxygen at high temperatures. This oxide coating is continuous, and protects the underlying metal from corrosion. In some steels, the oxide coating takes on a characteristic color, often gold/blue/ brown - it depends on the alloy, the temperature the oxide was formed at...

James
jamesrguk

VIN #: 5462
Spaxed

Postby bandit » Wed May 12, 2010 8:45 am

It's 304 grade, same as the car is made from & DOES NOT RUST.
bandit

VIN #: 7024
Spaxed

Previous

Return to Welcome! ... General DeLorean chat