CB Radios

Welcome to the DeLorean Club Forum, this area is for general DeLorean chat

CB Radios

Postby willinot » Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:13 am

Hi Guys,

copying this across from my post on the DOI

I was just thinking of last weekend and all the breakdowns and people going missing such as Matt and I.

Does anyone have experience of CB radios. I was thinking that if we were each able to have one for the next meet up it could be really handy and a bit of craic. I would also save on roaming charges.

I know nothing about CB's but they seem to start quite cheap on ebay but perhaps the range is useless unless a bit of money is spent.

So next time we can do it smokey and the bandit style!
Paul
willinot

Re: CB Radios

Postby arranj » Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:49 am

Now that IS a good idea Paul. I know we got lost about 3 times, trying to keep up with the DeLoreans in our hire cars! :lol:

I have a couple of illegal handheld radios that are great. About the size of a mobile phone and comes with voice activated handsfree as well - they're illegal because their range is too high and/or a license is required (these ones don't use the CB band). Mine do 12 miles (probably only about 2 in "real" conditions), but there are some ones on ebay that do 30 miles! for only £30 as well! (just search for "30 mile two way radio"), although again will probably only do about 4 miles in reality
Arran | DCUK 004 | VIN #1764 | Official DeLorean Club World Headquarters, Norfolk, UK

Das Webmeister
DeLorean Club

arranj

VIN #: 1764
Spaxed

Postby willinot » Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:05 am

Break break for a copy!

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/?_from=R40&_trks ... Categories

Is this the type, I was still assuming that I would have the car radio sized ones with the 80's style ariel on the louve!

If this type will pick up all the bands anyway it would be the one :-)
Paul
willinot

Postby tourettes tony » Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:00 am

TT
vin# freedom :)
X factor winner 2009
Yorkshire squirt winner 2009
Officially no more engine rebuilds well maybe 2 more :)

If you need any Tech help, don't ask
Club Cultural Ambassador and Official Tourettes Tutor
DeLorean Club

The Future's Bright....
The Future's
DeLorean Club
tourettes tony

VIN #: 30035

Postby arranj » Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:00 pm

willinot wrote:Break break for a copy!

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/?_from=R40&_trks ... Categories

Is this the type, I was still assuming that I would have the car radio sized ones with the 80's style ariel on the louve!

If this type will pick up all the bands anyway it would be the one :-)

Yep - that's it. I have a pair of Midland radios. The only thing is though - the USA chargers are no good to us without a voltage converter, but mine has AA batteries in (not sure how they are powered these days). Plus also they are illegal to use in Europe. The bands used on them will only really work with similar (USA) radios - these are way better than the Motorola crap we're allowed to buy legally in this country, which have a realistic range of about 100 metres - for a handheld little thing the range is really good (but nothing like 30 miles!).
I agree though a nice 5 metre aerial on the louvres would be way cooler!
Arran | DCUK 004 | VIN #1764 | Official DeLorean Club World Headquarters, Norfolk, UK

Das Webmeister
DeLorean Club

arranj

Spaxed

Postby mnickels » Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:40 pm

Suggestion from Daniel Moore on DOI forum in case anyone is interested

Hi Paul,

I like that idea. :lol:

You would have to install a CB radio. You would also need a magmount for the antenna. Could damage the stainless on the DeLorean.
A handheld CB eats batteries and is a no go.

My dad recommends a PMR 445 handheld. A proper set throws out 5 Watts. A handheld CB only puts out approx. 2.5-3 Watts at the max and is a very cumbersome radio.
We could arrange to purchase them at the right price for the club through our business. We need to know how many members would be interested.

These radios would have a drop in charger or plug in whichever model is selected.
Model types: Yeasu, Kenwood, Icom, Motorola.
They are professional PMR's(Private Mobile Radio). They give no trouble.

This would be brilliant to do away with roaming charges.

Regards,

Previous restoration progress on http://www.deloreaneurotec.co.uk/forum/ ... php?t=1069

Ireland Rep
DeLorean Club

The Future's Bright....
The Future's
DeLorean Club
mnickels

VIN #: 2456
Spaxed

Postby DMC GLEN » Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:19 pm

1 9 A ROGER ALL

you can buy a set of radio from argos or some other palce like that that will do up to a mile as my friend from another car club has them when he does trips with his car club around the up and we also use them when he sends me up ringing to do follow spots some times there around £40.00 to £100.00 for a set of two or three one a the front one in the middle and one at the back of the thats how is normally works
Glen Hale
DCUK 006
(OFFICE) 0121 270 7306

http://www.ghservicesuk.co.uk
Security & Communications Services
DeLorean Club

The Future's Bright....
The Future's
DeLorean Club
DMC GLEN

VIN #: VIN LESS
Spaxed

Postby RobvdVeer » Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:25 pm

Before the invention of the mobile phone and flat rates me and my friends used to go together on holiday by car. We bought CB's for cheap (around 60 euros for a set) and that went amazingly well. At least 10 Km's of range. The antenna's we no higher than 60 cm and had a magnetic foot with rubber padding.

And of course we had a tremendous amount of fun talking to complete strangers on the road...
Rob van der Veer
RobvdVeer

VIN #: 0b111001101111
Spaxed

Postby arranj » Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:27 pm

DMC GLEN wrote:1 9 A ROGER ALL

you can buy a set of radio from argos or some other palce like that that will do up to a mile as my friend from another car club has them when he does trips with his car club around the up and we also use them when he sends me up ringing to do follow spots some times there around £40.00 to £100.00 for a set of two or three one a the front one in the middle and one at the back of the thats how is normally works

10-4 Glen - but the illegal American ones are the same size, cheaper, and about 30 times more powerful.

Das Webmeister
DeLorean Club

arranj

Spaxed

Postby tourettes tony » Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:44 pm

shall we stick to using mobile phones :lol:
vin# freedom :)
X factor winner 2009
Yorkshire squirt winner 2009
Officially no more engine rebuilds well maybe 2 more :)

If you need any Tech help, don't ask
Club Cultural Ambassador and Official Tourettes Tutor
DeLorean Club

The Future's Bright....
The Future's
DeLorean Club
tourettes tony

VIN #: 30035

Next

Return to Welcome! ... General DeLorean chat