Brexit

Welcome to the DeLorean Club Forum, this area is for general DeLorean chat

Brexit

Postby Dave T » Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:24 pm

Im based in Ireland and it has always been the throughout the EU to use the UK as a gate way when importing a classic from outside the EU.
Not just for vehicles of British historical significance but for all classics availing the low vat rate of 5%...well it looks like this may all come to an end over the next few months. There are talks of us going back to the North South border here in Ireland (a huge step backwards for so many reasons) and then on the other side It appears the EU ain't going to bend over to the UK. Out means Out....

So we go back to the old ways purchasing a classic from the UK ... vat charges / customs charges and so on. It will be interesting to see how this will effect car values. For us here in Ireland importing a car outside the EU will become very expensive as our establishment tend to throw the saddle on with vat running at 23% plus high customs charges.....is it fair to say that post Brexit we will be going to the EU countries purchases and sales.
Interesting times indeed... thoughts??
Last edited by Dave T on Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dave T

VIN #: 2030

Re: Brexit

Postby Admin-bloke » Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:50 pm

I'd only worry about it when it actually occurs in 2 years time, there's no point in speculating now. If you're that concerned, consider importing via Holland and use free movement around the EU.

Speculators will probably import via the UK now and keep them to one side for when the Brexit thing eventually happens...assuming that there won't be a linked trade agreement in place and assuming free movement of people is restricted etc etc whatever. ..
Admin-bloke, "The D Whisperer"
Pie n Pint Northerner....
Vin #4068 - y'official "Mighty Auto" test car for Admin-bloke tuning.

https://www.justgiving.com/campnibble

Forum Founder [means I just installed it........] and Tech Help
DeLorean Club

The Future's Bright....
The Future's
DeLorean Club
Admin-bloke

VIN #: 4068
Spaxed

Postby Dave T » Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:12 pm

[quote="Admin-bloke"]. If you're that concerned, consider importing via Holland and use free movement around the EU.

agree :thumbsup: always looking throughout the EU... but interested in 'your' thoughts how the UK classic car industry may be effected when article 50 is fully implemented yes indeed it may take up to 2 years . The 'concerns' here in Ireland are back we go back to the old days of border controls and all that comes with it.... :roll:
Dave T

Postby arranj » Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:06 pm

Dave T wrote:The 'concerns' here in Ireland are back we go back to the old days of border controls and all that comes with it.... :roll:

I don't think it is in either "side"s' interests for that to happen. Remember we in the UK buy more from the EU than the EU do from us. We perhaps don't buy a lot from Ireland (other than computers), but a hell of lot from Germany, Freedom of trade helps big business, and big business drives government policy. There is a bit of sabre rattling at the moment - all part of a negotiation, but I think it is just that. Even if I'm wrong, we're looking at 2 years, then probably a negotiated transition period of a further 2-5 years before anything serious (other than immigration policy) changes.
There is also the chance that either the EU splits completely, or Ireland leaves too(?), then within about a month we'd have worked out a deal for freedom of movement between the North and the Republic I reckon.

I see your concern though, because this is exactly the sort of thing that would get overlooked when they are looking at how to deal with cross-border VAT.
Arran | DCUK 004 | VIN #1764 | Official DeLorean Club World Headquarters, Norfolk, UK

Das Webmeister
DeLorean Club

arranj

VIN #: 1764
Spaxed

Postby Dave T » Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:56 am

well said Aran...

also keep in mind Ireland relies heavily on food produce export to the UK. Its paramount that our politicians on both sides keep our cross border relations going,in saying that I can't foresee 'Angela' entertaining any special arrangements. As you say we may jump ship here too.

I think if fully implemented its inevitable it will have a negative impact on the classic industry since the UK has always the gateway for Global classic
car trade. Interesting times and as of late has got a whole lot more interesting.
Dave T

Return to Welcome! ... General DeLorean chat