HaggisTek (or notes on fitting an exhaust)

Welcome to the DeLorean Club Forum, this area is for general DeLorean chat

HaggisTek (or notes on fitting an exhaust)

Postby andyd » Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:30 pm

Hello all,

Some observations on exhaust removal, and subsequent fitting of the new system.

The system fitted was bought a good while ago through the club, standard "UK club exhaust"

Before starting , best to have 24 new exhaust studs and brass nuts.

I also had 12 stainless bolts, washers and brass nuts to bolt the system together, plus a number of stainless M6 bolt, washers, penny washers, nyloks, and a few M7's as I remember.

Also gaskets for the head, and for the joints in the system.

I had previously applied PlusGas to the nuts a few nights beforehand- a week would be recommended to let it work best...

I arrived in a secret location near Southampton, and got the car on the lift about 6pm on Friday night. Best to disconnect the battery at this point- there are quite a lot of unshielded lives around the starter and alternator.

IMG_0707.JPG
IMG_0707.JPG (2.34 MiB) Viewed 3745 times

A pot of proprietary J12 penetrating fluid and a paintbrush was waiting for me. Some say this is an acetone-ATF mix, but I dont think anyone really knows whats in it...

When applying this to hot manifold nuts, be extremely careful- the flash point of the solvent is comparatively low, and potentially this could go up if the engine is too hot... You have been warned!

We decided to see if they would move. To our delight, all did. Probably due to the hot engine we thought?? The holes in the ally head expand away from the steel stud, and we thought all the ones we could get to came out. More on that later.

Also slop liberally onto the cat and Y pipe nuts.

We managed to get the 9 accessible studs moving in the warm head. Delighted, we retired for a pint, and returned early the next day.

When doing this, you will probably have to simply snap the nuts of the Y pipe and the cat. You may get lucky and get these off. I think one of our nuts came off, the rest were broken off with brute force and a long bar.

IMG_0708.JPG
IMG_0708.JPG (1.88 MiB) Viewed 3745 times

With the cat out the way, we got onto the final manifold studs hidden behind it. In this case, two of the studs didn't want to move. Due to the cold head we thought?? So it may be better to get the studs moving on a hot engine would be the conclusion?? We left two in, rather than fight them, and have to drill out broken stubs.

Soon we had the system off.

IMG_0711.JPG
IMG_0711.JPG (2.42 MiB) Viewed 3745 times
andyd

VIN #: 814

Re: HaggisTek (or notes on fitting an exhaust)

Postby andyd » Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:47 pm

Its easiest to remove the manifolds, then the Y-pipe,knock the cat off the silencer and take the latter out, with the brackets and heatshield still attached.

Silly tail finishers be gone!!

IMG_0712.JPG
IMG_0712.JPG (2.46 MiB) Viewed 3738 times

Nows also a good time to remove the starter and alternator.

Be careful not to snap any studs on the alternator or starter. Doing so will delay the job!

At this point we also noticed a previously snapped stud, so we decided to remove this.

This man is a hero:

IMG_0719.JPG
IMG_0719.JPG (1.73 MiB) Viewed 3738 times

With a nice 90 degree air drill, Snap-On stud removal kit, and a lot of skill, we go this:

IMG_0721.JPG
IMG_0721.JPG (1.47 MiB) Viewed 3738 times

I can only imagine the pain of doing this on my tod, lying on my back, with a face full of swarf, with the sump 2 inches from my nose...

We cleaned up the mating surface with emery paper, and I reconnected with my cultural heritage...

IMG_0722.JPG
IMG_0722.JPG (1.34 MiB) Viewed 3738 times
andyd

Postby andyd » Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:04 pm

Nice clean mating surface,

IMG_0726.JPG
IMG_0726.JPG (2.07 MiB) Viewed 3737 times

Next up, wind in the new studs using two nuts locked together. Plenty of Coppaslip!

Offer up the new headers. They should fit perfectly and slide on without any issue. However, occasionally, a little percussive engineering may be helpful with this part:

IMG_0723.JPG
IMG_0723.JPG (1.9 MiB) Viewed 3737 times

But then you get this

IMG_0725.JPG
IMG_0725.JPG (2.17 MiB) Viewed 3737 times
andyd

Postby andyd » Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:56 pm

Note the new lamda sensor above.

Then, with both sides headers on, with gaskets, and tightened down, we loosely bolted the link pipes to the silencers, again with gaskets.

Best move is to bolt the brackets with new rubbers to the heatshield and mount everything "floating", and offer up the exhaust. as an assembly. We left the top bracket off at this point, which was a bit painful later. May be good to have this on, in hindsight...

We noticed the NOS rubbers did not quite fit the system, so had to open these out by about 1mm. Maybe yours will not be necessary to do this, and I know earlier systems did not need this, but my bar-mounts were slightly too big for the rubbers. They were opened out, but not too much, as it should still be a tight fit on these rubbers. We offered it up (like removal, this is definitely easier as a 2-man job), and it sort-of seemed ok. So we slippeds the bolt in to the brackets and their respective mounts. Looked ok, so we then maneuvered to mate the link pipes up to the headers. A little persuasion got the bolts through and nuts on.

Standing back, it looked good. The tailpipes should be even around the cut-outs in the read fascia (even gap all the way round, and pipes level with each other, and protruding the same amount).

It has to be said, this system was just right. It was right first time, and didn't need anything when it came to getting it to fit the rear fascia etc. We got super-lucky and simply bolted it up.

Then, remembering the top bracket, we spent an hour fighting with this to get the new SS bracket (the old one was starting to fracture) to fit with the exhaust and bolt to the block. Quite a lot of fighting and swearing, but we got there in the end.

And it looked spot on!

IMG_0730.JPG
IMG_0730.JPG (2.5 MiB) Viewed 3734 times

Note the shiny new heatshield, and cleaned, blasted, painted brackets! Unseen are the nonetheless very satisfying bling-bling of the new fasteners, rubbers, top bracket, etc.

We also made sure the wiring was tied up out of the way, and routed correctly. We know that none of these 2 shitters are the same, and my earlyish-vin car seemed to have a bit more wiring length available around the alternator than had been seen previously, so your experience may differ. Certainly make sure the wiring is kept well clear of the headers and shrouded if necessary.

We then adjusted the fuel pressures slightly (5.3-5.4 bar for this exhaust.)

IMG_0729.JPG
IMG_0729.JPG (2.22 MiB) Viewed 3734 times

It fired up nicely, and sounded good.

Out for a quick blatt to get it up to temperature, and set the timing and mixture. But that, my friends, is a story for another night!

I had a very satisfying drive back up the M3, and the M25 to Norff London, enjoying the few more ponies it gives, better throttle response, and rather sportier note.

Definitely an improvement. "Neighbours...! I'm back...!!"

Thanks to all those concerned with making this a roaring success. Arran for parts and patience, and of course all those at DMC-S who supplied premises, tools, manifolds studs (!), alternator, Maccy D's, beers, beds and great chat.

A fine club- thanks all!! I'd have been 2 weekends on my back in the cold, fighting with old metal, new metal and learning how to do this. As it was, it was an entirely fun experience, and my car is a lot better for it.

Cheers,

Andy
andyd

Postby Admin-bloke » Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:15 pm

Result :jzd:

A nice well written update, nice one :thumbsup:
Admin-bloke, "The D Whisperer"
Pie n Pint Northerner....
Vin #4068 - y'official "Mighty Auto" test car for Admin-bloke tuning.

https://www.justgiving.com/campnibble

Forum Founder [means I just installed it........] and Tech Help
DeLorean Club

The Future's Bright....
The Future's
DeLorean Club
Admin-bloke

VIN #: 4068
Spaxed

Postby andyd » Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:27 pm

Also- thanks to NickT for his unique DeLorean telemedicine skills!

Cheers nick!

A
andyd

Postby MikeWard » Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:36 pm

andyd wrote:Offer up the new headers. They should fit perfectly and slide on without any issue. However, occasionally, a little percussive engineering may be helpful with this part:

get-in.jpg
get-in.jpg (1.64 MiB) Viewed 3718 times

Now with the appropriate accompanying subtitles :)
DeLorean Club

The Future's Bright....
The Future's
DeLorean Club
MikeWard

VIN #: 04708

Postby Admin-bloke » Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:53 pm

andyd wrote:Also- thanks to NickT for his unique DeLorean telemedicine skills!

Cheers nick!

A

You're welcome :kiss:
Admin-bloke, "The D Whisperer"
Pie n Pint Northerner....
Vin #4068 - y'official "Mighty Auto" test car for Admin-bloke tuning.

https://www.justgiving.com/campnibble

Forum Founder [means I just installed it........] and Tech Help
DeLorean Club

The Future's Bright....
The Future's
DeLorean Club
Admin-bloke

VIN #: 4068
Spaxed

Postby bandit » Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:09 am

Nice one guys, one of the many....
bandit

VIN #: 7024
Spaxed

Postby Slammer » Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:32 pm

Do anybody have clearance problems with that exhaust? The tailpipes are a little bigger than stock I think.
In my case the fascia melts above the tailpipes.
Slammer

VIN #: 06201

Next

Return to Welcome! ... General DeLorean chat