Delorean fire across the pond

Welcome to the DeLorean Club Forum, this area is for general DeLorean chat

Delorean fire across the pond

Postby DMCTodayMichael » Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:24 pm

Didn't find it in a search so here is the story:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/jalopnik.c ... 888602/amp

I am personally checking every few days to see if an arrest has been made.
DMCTodayMichael

VIN #: 5609

Re: Delorean fire across the pond

Postby arranj » Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:53 pm

I noticed in a message to Josh he was saying something about a lot of medical bills, then in this latest instalment on his YouTube channel he's making a story about something completely unrelated (DeLorean fire) being about a medical company ("Rite Aid(?)") - perhaps there is a link there? Some kind of vendetta? Or he could just be a complete dick - he doesn't come across well on camera, doesn't look that ill.

Every other DeLorean fire I've seen, it's all about the DeLorean fire - no-one is threatening to sue the road for not being self-extinguishing. This guy, first thing (and only) thing hes' going on about is trying to blame a nearby store when he was already on fire anyway - completely unrelated.
Arran | DCUK 004 | VIN #1764 | Official DeLorean Club World Headquarters, Norfolk, UK

Das Webmeister
DeLorean Club

arranj

VIN #: 1764
Spaxed

Postby Dangermouse » Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:58 pm

Arran

RiteAid is just a glorified chemists shop - sells medication but also other household needs - somewhat like a mini-Co-Op. I doubt it is related to his medical issues.

He was charged with "no proof of insurance" last year and claims he was "under-insured" on the D (Possibly no insurance ???, particularly if he is selling it). He may well have had no medical insurance and if he suffered, say a broken leg, it would be easy to rack up a 6 figure bill.

It is unclear what his source of income is - possibly door-to-door sales.

Like Michael, I await a possible arrest, but if he had no car insurance, it wouldn't be for insurance scam as he would have no one to make a claim from. Which brings us back to RiteAid - deep pockets that all his "followers" seem to be blaming.

Allegedly, of course.
Dermot
vin 2743
Ex-Dunmurry-ite,
but now nr. Atlanta GA
US o'A

Vin 2743 – Black, Auto, non-lowered, non-Spaxed, non-carbed, non-turbo’d, non-de-catted, just as Neal drove it on the boat in August ‘81
Dangermouse

VIN #: 2743

Postby DMCTodayMichael » Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:20 pm

I believe "under insured" in his mind and what he is trying to convey is different. He has from day one bragged about putting 30k into this car (after he bought it) and has marketed it as a DPI restored car which it has been proven not to be the case(lie#1)
He said it was going to be sold layer that day for 70k and I believe we can all agree that's lie#2.
I personally think the story about him getting hit is a lie as well and perhaps the fire to boot (lie 3 and 4)

When he says underinsured, he means he didn't have enough insurance to cover what he wanted the public to be what the car was worth (70k). It was probably insured for around 30k as most are. So he starts a fire, makes it public and this will have a 2 fold outcome, insurance pays out what he actually invested in the car and the internet fame and subscribers will be a bonus.

It is however possible that he started the fire thinking he could put it out, insurance pays for what little damage there would have been, and he gets his much needed fame from it, but the snag was the rite aid debacle. Maybe he wasn't expecting to be refused an extinguisher and he ended up losing his car instead of putting out a small fire for internet views. Any way you slice it, it's an awful lot of suspicious red flags in this story and when I first heard of the circumstances (his BMW and the suspicious way it was vandalized a mere few months ago) the very first thing I thought of was the guy who tried to drive his Veyron in the lake a few years ago.
DMCTodayMichael

VIN #: 5609

Postby Dangermouse » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:15 pm

Could be.

However most people don't know that regular car insurance is only for what the insurance company say the car is worth. As you and I know, and I suspect he doesn't, classic cars need an "agreed value" policy. A guy with a string of used older BMWs (before the "all cash" i8) has almost certainly just got standard Allstate/State Farm type driving policy. Now, maybe he discovered this when the adjuster came out to his i8 and didn't add on any money for all the wrapping and gold tat that he had added. :lol: .

Personally, I think he is only just smart enough not to say "hey, the car is uninsured", instead using the euphemism "under-insured", so he doesn't look such a doofus to his "followers"

Or perhaps he was just on a minimal Liability Only policy that didn't cover accidents. Or fires.

Maybe he'll make a youtube movie about it one day :lol:
Dermot
vin 2743
Ex-Dunmurry-ite,
but now nr. Atlanta GA
US o'A

Vin 2743 – Black, Auto, non-lowered, non-Spaxed, non-carbed, non-turbo’d, non-de-catted, just as Neal drove it on the boat in August ‘81
Dangermouse

VIN #: 2743

Return to Welcome! ... General DeLorean chat