Hello and welcome to the DeLorean EuroTec Forum -Say Hi here

Welcome to the DeLorean Club Forum, this area is for general DeLorean chat

Re: Hello and welcome to the DeLorean EuroTec Forum -Say Hi

Postby Sammy » Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:40 am

Hi everyone,

So this is not only my first day on the forum, but my first time ever on any forum! Be nice!

Anyway, sadly I am not yet a DeLorean owner, so won't be offended if no-one wants to respond, I have been looking for about 4 years and keep missing opportunities, and seem to now be looking at a £10k premium because I didn't take the leap when I should have.

So, I'm now looking for a project/part-finished car, can anyone tell me where I should be looking or who I should talk to? I've been through all the major sites both in Europe and the States, but it seems that people are holding onto the cars more and more.

Any advice would be amazing!
Sylva Mojo 2
ST220
Sammy

Postby arranj » Sun Mar 20, 2016 5:08 pm

Hi Sammy and welcome!

Assuming you've seen the one for £15k on here?: http://www.deloreanclub.uk/deloreans-for-sale.html - that list is all of them in the UK. Not sure what your budget is but importing would probably be the way to go for you - it's not too hard, unfortunately the exchange rate is not great. You shouldn't have too much trouble finding a car in the USA.
Some examples of cars that sold for low prices on Ebay in the last month:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221997842949
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/252286572819
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/301843857391
Arran | DCUK 004 | VIN #1764 | Official DeLorean Club World Headquarters, Norfolk, UK

Das Webmeister
DeLorean Club

arranj

VIN #: 1764
Spaxed

Postby Sammy » Sun Mar 20, 2016 7:23 pm

That's fantastic, thanks Arran.

I did see the one for £15k, but going through the links, I assumed it had been sold some months ago, do you know if it is still available?

Thank you for the ebay links, I had guessed by the cars currently on ebay.com that they were the new going rates, glad to hear there are still some bargains about!

So do you know of anyone who has bought a DeLorean from a private seller in the states and been through the process of flying over and getting it in a container? This is a bit new to me.
Sylva Mojo 2
ST220
Sammy

Postby Admin-bloke » Sun Mar 20, 2016 7:34 pm

Hello Sammy, have a read in the following section first as no doubt most of your questions may already be answered here:

viewforum.php?f=148

Good luck with the search :D
Admin-bloke, "The D Whisperer"
Pie n Pint Northerner....
Vin #4068 - y'official "Mighty Auto" test car for Admin-bloke tuning.

https://www.justgiving.com/campnibble

Forum Founder [means I just installed it........] and Tech Help
DeLorean Club

The Future's Bright....
The Future's
DeLorean Club
Admin-bloke

VIN #: 4068
Spaxed

Postby arranj » Sun Mar 20, 2016 7:35 pm

Sammy wrote:I did see the one for £15k, but going through the links, I assumed it had been sold some months ago, do you know if it is still available?
Yes it certainly is - Alistair (AVan) is the expert on this one though. The owner isn't an internet user, and it isn't listed for sale on any other sites - pretty easy to see why it hasn't sold in ages, but I understand he does want to sell. David ( the owner ) is on 07745 740545

Sammy wrote:So do you know of anyone who has bought a DeLorean from a private seller in the states and been through the process of flying over and getting it in a container? This is a bit new to me.

This section is a good read, I know Mike is still working on it, but it is very up to date: viewforum.php?f=148

It is a lot less daunting task than you would think - it's essentially a case of buying the car, transferring the money using a competitive service (I recommend Transferwise), then using that shipping company everyone uses to get it here, change a couple of lights, MOT it, fill in some forms, job done.

Mike will probably reply shortly - list of people that have done it in the last year - they are all on here - Mike, Justin, Gavin, Alex+Tom, all 4 of the Knowlton brothers, countless more I can't think of at the moment. I'll let them announce themselves 8-)
Arran | DCUK 004 | VIN #1764 | Official DeLorean Club World Headquarters, Norfolk, UK

Das Webmeister
DeLorean Club

arranj

VIN #: 1764
Spaxed

Postby Sammy » Sun Mar 20, 2016 9:22 pm

Amazing guys, thank you.

I will go through the various links over the next couple of days and learn a bit more about importing.

I'll also try and give David a call and see if I can arrange to see it! I am assuming from some of the images and comments over the last couple of years that the car is a non-runner, does anyone know a bit more about it?

Thanks again!
Sylva Mojo 2
ST220
Sammy

Postby A Van » Sun Mar 20, 2016 11:19 pm

Hi Sammy, the Scottish car is complete but needs reassembling and then sorting engine which is a non runner
It's not registered in this country either, so that will need sorting.
Do you wish to partially restore one yourself?
Alistair V

Vin 11753 - B/Auto - Kuwait, painted black
Ex Vin 11766 - B/Auto - Dubai
Ex 11622, 6064

RIP Mike 'Bozzy' Bosworth 19/04/1969 - 31/12/2015

Official Spokesperson and Media Liaison Officer, and off road Buggy flipper
DeLorean Club

The Future's Bright....
The Future's
DeLorean Club
A Van

VIN #: 11753
Spaxed

Postby Dan 6511 » Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:21 am

I bought mine as a non runner in california and it came over in a container. Really easy process, I used this company: http://www.hillshipping.com/

They made the arrangements using their contacts in the states to collect it from the seller and load it into a container and then onto a ship. All I had to do was pick the car up from Southampton, but they will even arrange transport to your house as well if needed.
Vin: 6511 Reg: TDV 102W (Totaly Diabolical Vehicle)

Sell it Or Sorn it

Road trips:
2008: Mervyn's D Weekend, Ireland
2008: DMC Europe Open House
2009: DMC Europe Open House
2009: Royal D Weekend, Ireland
2010: Silvercoast, France
2010: Shanefest, Ireland
2010: Luxemburg & Nurburgring
2011: Eurofest, Belfast
2019: International DeLorean Meeting, Hamburg
Dan 6511

VIN #: 6511

Postby Sammy » Mon Mar 21, 2016 2:29 pm

Thanks Alistair,

Yes I want to recon one myself, I have an idea of what I'm getting into (I think), I'm just having a look into registering the car, doesn't look too complicated.

Thanks for the link Dan, definitely a backup. I am going to try and visit the car in Edinburgh, if it doesn't work out, it'll have to be the States! And I'll have a few other questions for you.

I'm totally gutted I missed the meetup last weekend, couldn't believe it when I registered on Sunday! : )
Sylva Mojo 2
ST220
Sammy

Postby MikeWard » Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:20 pm

arranj wrote:This section is a good read, I know Mike is still working on it, but it is very up to date: viewforum.php?f=148

It is a lot less daunting task than you would think - it's essentially a case of buying the car, transferring the money using a competitive service (I recommend Transferwise), then using that shipping company everyone uses to get it here, change a couple of lights, MOT it, fill in some forms, job done.

Mike will probably reply shortly - list of people that have done it in the last year - they are all on here - Mike, Justin, Gavin, Alex+Tom, all 4 of the Knowlton brothers, countless more I can't think of at the moment. I'll let them announce themselves 8-)

Basically yes, that section should contain everything needed complete an import, but if there are any specific questions feel free to ask. We are still waiting on someone with a new import to take some pictures of the headlight modification so that we can compile a full 'how-to' guide (rough instructions currently provided), but other than that the section is complete.
DeLorean Club

The Future's Bright....
The Future's
DeLorean Club
MikeWard

VIN #: 04708

PreviousNext

Return to Welcome! ... General DeLorean chat