Vin #11789 started for the first time in my ownership

Welcome to the DeLorean Club Forum, this area is for general DeLorean chat

Vin #11789 started for the first time in my ownership

Postby Spudmurphy » Mon May 14, 2018 10:53 am

On the week end I got vin~11789 started for the first time.

Had to rotate the distributor way past the "hold down" bolt so this afternoon I'll be taking it out and re seating the distributor, thereby re timing it (static).

Have all the meeting unit/ leads and fuel pipes off all ready, to do it the afternoon.

I had my mate Tim a retired Volvo mechanic on hand - he had just literally landed in the UK - after his holiday in Mexico.
I also had young Miles over from Bristol.

In all the excitement the guys (not me!! ) failed to attach the bar to the throttle spool and were wondering why it wouldn't rev up - dohhhh. Even in it's rudimentary condition it ticked over !!

A big step forward for me and goes someway to alleviating my fears on buying a project car that didn't / couldn't run !!

Will take the ubiquitous video this afternoon if all goes well :-)
Vin 11789 one of the 50 Middle Eastern Cars
Spudmurphy

VIN #: 11789

Re: Vin #11789 started for the first time in my ownership

Postby bandit » Mon May 14, 2018 3:42 pm

Nice one sounds like it’s a good ‘en
bandit

VIN #: 7024
Spaxed

Postby jerzybondov » Mon May 14, 2018 4:07 pm

Well done! Was your pal Tim familiar with the B28 unit?
VIN 7176
Official Club Reaper Extraordinaire.
jerzybondov

VIN #: 7176
Spaxed

Postby Spudmurphy » Tue May 15, 2018 8:55 am

Tim used to have his own Volvo business - worked on the cars and lorries (also did some rallying!)

He turned up in his Rover P6 3500 V8 - quite a rare one apparently ?

Tim has worked on the Volvo equivalent and I had to print off the info on the 3 brass adjusters by the w pipe.

We got it fired up and ticking over - just!

The distributor had to be rotated way past the normal adjustment range , so yesterday we reset the distributor , but it didn't fire up :-(

I took off the induction system again to check the distributor .... and it was spot on.

I can now get in and out of the VOD easily now lol

He's coming back on Friday (when I shall be "working from home" )- and we'll recheck everything - spark, injector spray (into bottles), even check that the TDC "is TDC" using the "bolt in the hole behind the water pump trick". But looking underneath the engine at the flywheel marks, it seems like tdc is as it should be.

Did have a weep on the meetering head but torx bolts nipped up underneath it and it seemed ok yesterday (oh please be ok !!!!!).

It's all a step in the right direction and I'm not the only one who has gone through this "problem" - I'll get there - I hope reasonably inexpensively now after :-

New tank
New Fuel pump
new coolant pipes
new radiator
new fans
new fuel lines
new alternator
new battery
new cap/distributor/leads/plugs
new injectors
new water pump/thermostat
screw in otterstat
...... and lots of other things done to the car I shouldn't be doing as I'm not retired yet, as my wife keeps pointing out !!!!
Vin 11789 one of the 50 Middle Eastern Cars
Spudmurphy

VIN #: 11789

Return to Welcome! ... General DeLorean chat