E10 fuel to replace E5 in the UK proposal

Welcome to the DeLorean Club Forum, this area is for general DeLorean chat

E10 fuel to replace E5 in the UK proposal

Postby Rissy » Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:04 pm

I've just been reading this:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/cars/a ... duced.html

Although i think this proposed move could cause some real headaches for other cars (my M3 for one!, probably also my Civic!), I'm not sure if that means much for our D's or not since they were originally spec'd to run on really low US Octane fuel. Am i right?

This move, if it goes forward, means that as soon as another couple of years, we could see the disappearance of super fuels in the UK, and our good old traditional RON 95 fuel being replaced by a new "cleaner" standard minimum, which *seems* to be a proposed equivalent to around about a 90 RON fuel. If so, and considering i think the D' is spec'd to be a minimum of 91 RON (i think), does that mean a headache for our D's too?
Rissy
Chris M. Morionem qui loquitur multus sine cogitatione.

May 1981 vin#1458
"LEX" - Officially used in Britain's Greatest Machines (80's episode) with Chris Barrie.
Grey Wheels
Grooved, flapped Bonnet
Black Leather Interior
Chassis: #1073
Engine: #2839

Main Car(s):

2005 BMW M3 E46 Shape 3.246 Straight Six in Velvet Blue
1999 Honda Civic MB6 Shape 1.8VTi VTEC in Pirates Black
Rissy

VIN #: 01458

Re: E10 fuel to replace E5 in the UK proposal

Postby priesh » Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:16 pm

This could really be a pain! Surely they will have to keep higher octane fuel for classic car owners and enthusiasts.
priesh

VIN #: 1373

Postby Admin-bloke » Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:30 pm

Admin-bloke, "The D Whisperer"
Pie n Pint Northerner....
Vin #4068 - y'official "Mighty Auto" test car for Admin-bloke tuning.

https://www.justgiving.com/campnibble

Forum Founder [means I just installed it........] and Tech Help
DeLorean Club

The Future's Bright....
The Future's
DeLorean Club
Admin-bloke

VIN #: 4068
Spaxed

Postby Dangermouse » Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:35 pm

FWIW, E10 is the standard petrol stateside for years and all of my cars run fine on it, though petrolheads bemoan it's use. There are many articles on the belief that it "ruins engines" which is more a concern for Ferrari owners than Micras.

Many new cars here are designed to run on E85 fuel too which is cheaper but gets worst mpg.

There are stations that stock "ethanol-free gas" though, so it is still available
Dermot
vin 2743
Ex-Dunmurry-ite,
but now nr. Atlanta GA
US o'A

Vin 2743 – Black, Auto, non-lowered, non-Spaxed, non-carbed, non-turbo’d, non-de-catted, just as Neal drove it on the boat in August ‘81
Dangermouse

VIN #: 2743

Postby Nick H » Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:12 am

The real problems occur with storage. The ethanol attract’s water. So that’s not good for classic cars that sit in storage over the winter.
Ideally the last fill up before storage wants to be with ethanol free fuel.

If you watch some of the US car restoration shows on TV they often mention how bad the smell is of
low grade gas when it goes off. Sometimes they mention that someone put hi grade Race gas in a car before storage and this saves the fuel system from deteriorating.

It’s also a issue for garden machinery (lawn mowers, chain saws etc.) that gets stored over the winter or for extended periods.
In the States I saw special pure gas zero ethanol fuel for garden equipment. Not seen it here in the U.K.

I did find this though.
http://www.ethanil.co.uk/

Nick H
Nick H

VIN #: 2862
Spaxed

Postby Nick H » Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:53 am

Looks like you can get race fuel in the U.K.

And they do a specific zero ethanol storage fuel
https://aaoil.co.uk/product-category/racing-fuel/storage-fuel/

Nick H
Nick H

VIN #: 2862
Spaxed

Postby Admin-bloke » Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:35 am

I personally put low ash 2 stroke oil in my D about 200ml per full tank (50 litres) to lubricate the k jet.

Usual disclaimer, this is my personal choice and not a recommendation for you to put this in your own car etc etc.

I also run the car as low as possible before winter storage, so in spring time it gets a full tank of fresh fuel.

Be grateful that we have plastic petrol tanks that don't corrode :D
Admin-bloke, "The D Whisperer"
Pie n Pint Northerner....
Vin #4068 - y'official "Mighty Auto" test car for Admin-bloke tuning.

https://www.justgiving.com/campnibble

Forum Founder [means I just installed it........] and Tech Help
DeLorean Club

The Future's Bright....
The Future's
DeLorean Club
Admin-bloke

VIN #: 4068
Spaxed

Postby Dangermouse » Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:11 pm

Nick H wrote:The real problems occur with storage. The ethanol attract’s water. So that’s not good for classic cars that sit in storage over the winter.
Ideally the last fill up before storage wants to be with ethanol free fuel.

If you watch some of the US car restoration shows on TV they often mention how bad the smell is of
low grade gas when it goes off. Sometimes they mention that someone put hi grade Race gas in a car before storage and this saves the fuel system from deteriorating.

It’s also a issue for garden machinery (lawn mowers, chain saws etc.) that gets stored over the winter or for extended periods.
In the States I saw special pure gas zero ethanol fuel for garden equipment. Not seen it here in the U.K.

/[/url]
Nick H

Yes, it does go "off" fairly quickly.

I use "Stabil" as an additive for lawnmowers, DeLoreans etc when I know I will be storing it for a while

https://www.walmart.com/ip/STA-BIL-xc2- ... 54&veh=sem
Dermot
vin 2743
Ex-Dunmurry-ite,
but now nr. Atlanta GA
US o'A

Vin 2743 – Black, Auto, non-lowered, non-Spaxed, non-carbed, non-turbo’d, non-de-catted, just as Neal drove it on the boat in August ‘81
Dangermouse

VIN #: 2743

Postby jamesrguk » Fri Aug 31, 2018 5:26 pm

I use my car all year round so fuel doesn't hang around for long in my tank, so hopefully the water issues will be less of an problem for me.

There is however the other ares of concern which is how the Ethanol reacts/effects the integrity of old rubber fuel lines. This is getting a lot of coverage in the classic car press as various cars have burned to the ground through lines possibly weekend by the ethanol in the fuel. Obviously fuel line maintenance it key regardless of what fuel you are using.

J
jamesrguk

VIN #: 5462
Spaxed

Return to Welcome! ... General DeLorean chat