Should I give up on living the dream?

Welcome to the DeLorean Club Forum, this area is for general DeLorean chat

Re: Should I give up on living the dream?

Postby TristanC » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:35 pm

DMC1983 wrote:Thanks Tristan. I did stop by after work but he wasnt there. When you pick up your car, if its not too early/ive finished work etc, it would be cool if i could meet up with you if thats ok? If not, no worries.

I won’t physically be there to pick it up mate - otherwise, I’d be more than happy to meet up.
I’m all the way over in South Wales. I have a transporter to collect for me.

However, my car will be with Chris for at least the next 2 to 3 weeks.

Cheers
Tris
Tristan J Carroll
#11477 Jan '82 Grey Manual
Member No.: 187
TristanC

VIN #: 11477

Postby DMC1983 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:29 pm

Oh well. Our paths may cross one day. Tbh, i dont really want to pester chris. I have some questions for him but i understand hes at work. I also dont want to be "one of those guys" if you know what i mean.
DeLoryan
VIN 5219 - Oct 81
Grey Interior, Manual
Grooved Hood
Reg:  FNP 478W (Finding Numerous Problems)
Travelling And Recreation Developed In Style
Member of the Beverley Hills Car Club Club
DMC1983

VIN #: 5219
Spaxed

Postby jerzybondov » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:26 pm

DMC1983 wrote:
Are these just chancers/gold mine syndrome sufferers or are these cars really worth more than 30k now?

Well like any car, a DeLorean is worth what someone is willing to pay for it. Look at the classic car market generally and you'll see a lot of stuff that wasn't worth much a few years ago now commanding big bucks, and it doesn't even have to be that special.

The DeLorean that sold in the Silverstone auctions a few months ago was a good indicator of where the market is at - that car went for £42k (I think) and condition wise it wasn't exceptional. I know there are several cars in the club I'd rather have over that one.

And if you look at what it costs you to get a decent, driving piece of 70s or 80s exotica that's comparable to the DeLorean you'll be needing much deeper pockets than that.

So no, people pricing their cars over £30k aren't gold mine syndrome sufferers (unless it's a clapped out shocker that's sat since 1984) or chancers - they're just pricing their cars according to the current market. If no-one wanted to buy a DeLorean for over £30k the prices would still be £15-20k like they were 10 years ago, or £5-10k like they were 10 years before that.

Good luck with your search, and do keep saving - the dream is worth it :D :thumbsup:
VIN 7176
Official Club Reaper Extraordinaire.
jerzybondov

VIN #: 7176
Spaxed

Keep going, YOU CAN DO IT!

Postby DMC1983 » Sun Feb 09, 2020 1:06 am

Going over a few of the threads i started, i thought i would update this one in case anyone is looking and feeling the way i did when saving up and seeing the current asking prices.

DONT GIVE UP!

Yes prices are climbing and yes some cars will be out of reach but every so often, a car will appear within your price range. It does happen. Im proof of that.

Project cars will likely be the more appropriate purchase for many buyers but they dont pop up often in the UK and when they do, they go quick. So importing may very well be your best bet. Importing is also a fairly simple, straightforward process now and theres plenty of help in this very forum on how to import.

What im saying is, keep going. It can get disheartening at times, but dreams do come true ;)

s-l400.jpg
s-l400.jpg (26.54 KiB) Viewed 1305 times
DeLoryan
VIN 5219 - Oct 81
Grey Interior, Manual
Grooved Hood
Reg:  FNP 478W (Finding Numerous Problems)
Travelling And Recreation Developed In Style
Member of the Beverley Hills Car Club Club
DMC1983

VIN #: 5219
Spaxed

Previous

Return to Welcome! ... General DeLorean chat