Re: Engine stops while driving

Postby InoX » Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:17 am

Nope
InoX

Postby arranj » Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:20 am

No :)
Nor do you need to withdraw the baffle.

Undo the main massive clamp, ease the pump out - there are 2 rubber hoses "in there". The return hose clamps onto the pipe sticking out the side of the pump boot, the pickup hose clamps on the bottom. Un-clamp both hoses, replace the fat one, re-clamp both hoses, job done. Easy 5 minute job (translation: 5 hours).
Arran | DCUK 004 | VIN #1764 | Official DeLorean Club World Headquarters, Norfolk, UK

Das Webmeister
DeLorean Club

arranj

VIN #: 1764
Spaxed

Postby Admin-bloke » Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:56 pm

There's a difference between a "misfire" caused by an electrical issue, that would effect the sparking at the plugs, and a lack of fuel pressure that can cause the same thing on the k-jetronic fueling, that can appear to be the same.

If it's electrical, the common fault is what Mike has described with the connections on the coil/ ballast resistors. But also consider getting the main battery checked under load. I'll assume you've looked at the voltage gauge add a starting point etc.

If it's fuel pressure related, then one of the common items is as Andy had pointed out, there could be a problem with the pick up pipework in the fuel tank. The easiest way to rule this out is to fill the tank with fuel and trial this.

With respect to the pictures, the blue female blade connector on the grey bung was there to prevent a short circuit as the oxygen sensor was disconnected, because the oxygen sensor was duff. It was left to run in "open loop" as it ran better.

The %CO exhaust reading could be a red herring, but the other 3 exhaust gases would be useful, as high HC (hydrocarbons) would be an indicator of unburnt fuel to diagnose an electrical misfire or failed injector.

I highly recommend not to let the garage start assisting items in the hope to fix the problem as you'll find they make it worse. I forgot where you live, but another owner nearby could help. I'm afraid anything south of Birmingham is a big mystery to me. .....

Good luck, Post results as soon as possible.
Admin-bloke, "The D Whisperer"
Pie n Pint Northerner....
Vin #4068 - y'official "Mighty Auto" test car for Admin-bloke tuning.

https://www.justgiving.com/campnibble

Forum Founder [means I just installed it........] and Tech Help
DeLorean Club

The Future's Bright....
The Future's
DeLorean Club
Admin-bloke

VIN #: 4068
Spaxed

Postby Corsair » Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:57 pm

Thanks AB That solves the open loop problem. HC levels were 529 PPM Idle speed and Smoke level given only as a pass. Is 0.04% too lean?
Will pass retest MOT for minor defects tomorrow and can then try legally roadtesting with full cold fuel but have ordered pick up pipe and reinforcing spring
to rule that out and as a future precaution. Will recheck ballast resistor and all other ignition bits. Have some figures to test the parameters somewhere. Have no intention of allowing local garages to muddle with the car but will sort it with help and advice on here. Battery is quite new but will try to get a load test. Also need to flnd the engine to frame earth strap. Thanks for the reply and I will update you.
Regards Chris
Corsair

VIN #: 1797
Spaxed

Postby Admin-bloke » Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:53 am

Only if you are sure that there is NO electrical misfire at the spark plugs, the setting for a standard oem delorean k-jet is %CO 1.0 to 1.3.
HC's should ideally be less than 300ppm.
The adjustment is done with a 3mm long Allen key under the bung, near the hexagonal fuel distributor. Adjust only no more than 1/8th of a turn, then connect the bung back in and then wait for 2 monies to stabilise before taking another reading.

The only other misfire I've noted was from my own car where the main HT lead from the coil to the centre connection on the distributor cap had a break and when the engine moved about went open circuit intermittently. I can't remember if that lead was replaced on that cat or not. Oem HT lead has metal shielding for radio suppresion.

Good luck
Admin-bloke, "The D Whisperer"
Pie n Pint Northerner....
Vin #4068 - y'official "Mighty Auto" test car for Admin-bloke tuning.

https://www.justgiving.com/campnibble

Forum Founder [means I just installed it........] and Tech Help
DeLorean Club

The Future's Bright....
The Future's
DeLorean Club
Admin-bloke

VIN #: 4068
Spaxed

Postby Corsair » Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:19 pm

Thanks NIck Car is up on hoist today for new fans and radiator so checking what I can Will let you know and try to access emission meter
Chris
Corsair

Spaxed

Postby Corsair » Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:57 pm

Pickup pipe spares arrived Tue but removal of pump proved impossible. Previous workman had installed it 180 degrees out in an attempt to route fuel hoses clear of spare wheel cover. Fuel delivery banjo is non standard and points wrong way and vertical Fuel return hardware had been twisted to fit the 180deg rotation and was sitting at + 90 deg to pump body which had twisted return hose - see photo Had to remove and replace .Still have non standard hardware to fettle or replace.
Attachments
image.jpeg
Correct orintation
image.jpeg (2.39 MiB) Viewed 2821 times
image.jpeg
Wrong return orientation
image.jpeg (1.46 MiB) Viewed 2821 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (1.7 MiB) Viewed 2821 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (452.43 KiB) Viewed 2821 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (1.66 MiB) Viewed 2821 times
Corsair

Spaxed

Postby Corsair » Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:10 pm

Replaced fuel pump it runs. ButInow have starting problems which I think I have traced to weak battery ( replaced new but unused for years by PO) Earth strap will be replaced - looks okay but-thermotime switch has dodgy connector but have new one as spare. However fuel pump does not cycle every ignition 2 position for 4 secs. Which relay /circuit is responsible and can I source at local motor factors tomorrow with new batt etc
Need input thanks Chris
Corsair

Spaxed

Postby Corsair » Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:16 pm

And does anyone think that twisted restriction in the distributor return pipe could back pressure and cause some of my symptoms?
Corsair

Spaxed

Postby Corsair » Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:03 pm

Missed MOT retest.Missed Hamburg. New battery ,earth strap good . Still won't start. Coil and ballast resistor contacts clean .Engine fires while cranking then dies.Crank starter circuit? Cold start valve must be working -tried plug swap and exhaust stinks of fuel as engine only fires on first crank then again after rest. Any ideas ? Chris
Corsair

Spaxed

PreviousNext

Return to Welcome! ... General DeLorean chat