0-60 Times Manual Vs. The Mighty Auto!

Welcome to the DeLorean Club Forum, this area is for general DeLorean chat

0-60 Times Manual Vs. The Mighty Auto!

Postby Miles » Sat Dec 12, 2020 12:41 am

So after a little group chat debate between me and Deloryan as to who would be faster in a race, I decided to experiment. Obviously the manual is faster...but by how much?
I said it would be very close but Ryan disagreed, sticking by the factory stated 0-60 times of:
10.5 - Auto
9.5 - Manual.

I did a couple of runs(with a friend in the car...slowing it down obviously :roll: )

Ended up getting a best time of
9.7 seconds which is considerably faster than the stock rated time. :D ;)

F3CC05AC-89BF-433B-9E6C-E5F4FF087360.png
Screenshot, the 1/4 is wrong as I lifted off the throttle:
F3CC05AC-89BF-433B-9E6C-E5F4FF087360.png (849.67 KiB) Viewed 1596 times

I also did a run, holding it in 1st until the redline but it just seemed wheezy at the top end and ended up being slower at
10.2 seconds.

This is with the UK exhaust.

I just used an app, (which won’t be 100% accurate due to the GPS refresh rate.)
Also it was on relatively flat, straight road.

I am curious to see other people’s results!
The Door Whore

Vin #4529
Miles

VIN #: 4529
Spaxed

Re: 0-60 Times Manual Vs. The Mighty Auto!

Postby DMC1983 » Sat Dec 12, 2020 8:24 am

What app did you use? If we are gonna record this, it should be done using the same sort of equipment.

In theory since you managed to shave nearly a second off the factory times, the same should be for the manual. I suspect the freeflow exhaust has helped here somewhat. However, if the app isnt accurate it could be a second out so the factory times still apply.
DeLoryan
VIN 5219 - Oct 81
Grey Interior, Manual
Grooved Hood
Reg:  FNP 478W (Finding Numerous Problems)
Travelling And Recreation Developed In Style
Member of the Beverley Hills Car Club Club
DMC1983

VIN #: 5219
Spaxed

Postby eric » Sat Dec 12, 2020 9:58 am

Love it... I think you should be proud you are anywhere near that ballpark.

Where on earth did you do it at 10.50 at night.

There is only one thing in life worse than not owning a DeLorean.
Owning one which is not running...
eric

VIN #: 7161
Spaxed

Postby Miles » Sat Dec 12, 2020 1:52 pm

DMC1983 wrote:What app did you use? If we are gonna record this, it should be done using the same sort of equipment.

In theory since you managed to shave nearly a second off the factory times, the same should be for the manual. I suspect the freeflow exhaust has helped here somewhat. However, if the app isnt accurate it could be a second out so the factory times still apply.

The app I used is called "GPS Race timer" on iPhone, not sure about Android.
Regarding the Freeflow exhaust; That obviously won't be a limiting factor anymore but the engine does run out of puff if you hold it to the red line.
I did 4 runs in total and both of the times that I let the transmission computer decide when to change, it was faster!! :o
The Door Whore

Vin #4529
Miles

Spaxed

Postby Miles » Sat Dec 12, 2020 1:53 pm

eric wrote:Love it... I think you should be proud you are anywhere near that ballpark.

Where on earth did you do it at 10.50 at night.

I am very happy with it! I do still think I can get it down to 9.5, if I remove my friend from the passenger seat, and do a run on a really cold evening.

A4174 Ring Road, there's a lay-by just leading onto a flat straight section, and just enough space to get to 60 before the national speed limit section ends...Didn't even break the law! :lol: :lol:
The Door Whore

Vin #4529
Miles

Spaxed

Postby jerzybondov » Sun Dec 13, 2020 2:43 pm

Great work Miles!

I think a TV show timed Dan's old car a few years back (Volvo fuelled manual / stainless exhaust) and were surprised to get a time in the high 7s.

I'd be a little suspicious of that 16.3 quarter mile time in an auto - get your car to Santa Pod next year and you can get a proper sense of the 1/4 mile time!

You can also get a good inference of 0-60 from your Santa Pod 1/4 mile time - go to a list of 0-60s / 1/4 miles (like this: https://www.0-60specs.com/0-60-times/) and compare your 1/4 mile time and terminal speed to other RWD cars - then see what 0-60s they've recorded. Will be more accurate than an app! :D
VIN 7176
Official Club Reaper Extraordinaire.
jerzybondov

VIN #: 7176
Spaxed

Postby Miles » Fri Dec 18, 2020 3:21 am

jerzybondov wrote:Great work Miles!
I think a TV show timed Dan's old car a few years back (Volvo fuelled manual / stainless exhaust) and were surprised to get a time in the high 7s.

That's an impressive number!
jerzybondov wrote:I'd be a little suspicious of that 16.3 quarter mile time in an auto - get your car to Santa Pod next year and you can get a proper sense of the 1/4 mile time!
Will be more accurate than an app! :D

Yeah I lifted off after hitting 60, so the 1/4 is definitely wrong. Santa Pod sounds like a good idea!
The apps can only be as accurate as the GPS refresh rate of the phone. but it gives an idea...
The Door Whore

Vin #4529
Miles

Spaxed

Return to Welcome! ... General DeLorean chat