Practical classics 2021 October

Welcome to the DeLorean Club Forum, this area is for general DeLorean chat

Practical classics 2021 October

Postby Darrenre » Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:24 pm

Anyone seen this months article? It looks like a Delorean buying and selling guide?

0F6EC449-213D-4CE2-BAFF-7BDAB40CB86C.jpeg
Mag screen shot
0F6EC449-213D-4CE2-BAFF-7BDAB40CB86C.jpeg (368.41 KiB) Viewed 2024 times
Darrenre

Re: Practical classics 2021 October

Postby DMC1983 » Fri Sep 10, 2021 11:15 pm

Im guessing their pricing guide will be inaccurate. Ive yet to see any car mag that actually lives in the real world
DeLoryan
VIN 5219 - Oct 81
Grey Interior, Manual
Grooved Hood
Reg:  FNP 478W (Finding Numerous Problems)
Travelling And Recreation Developed In Style
Member of the Beverley Hills Car Club Club
DMC1983

VIN #: 5219
Spaxed

Postby bandit » Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:50 am

DMC1983 wrote:Im guessing their pricing guide will be inaccurate. Ive yet to see any car mag that actually lives in the real world

They are pretty close tbh this is what they list
£15k for a shitter (probably bit low)
£30k reasonable car
£40k nice car
I think I’m right in saying Chris P gave them the info
bandit

VIN #: 7024
Spaxed

Postby A Van » Mon Sep 13, 2021 2:21 pm

Nice to see some pricing finally printed about where it is
Although the release of the musical has pushed things up again

A project car sold for £26k last week - non runner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Alistair V

Vin 11753 - B/Auto - Kuwait, painted black
Ex Vin 11766 - B/Auto - Dubai
Ex 11622, 6064

RIP Mike 'Bozzy' Bosworth 19/04/1969 - 31/12/2015

Official Spokesperson and Media Liaison Officer, and off road Buggy flipper
DeLorean Club

The Future's Bright....
The Future's
DeLorean Club
A Van

VIN #: 11753
Spaxed

Postby DMC1983 » Mon Sep 13, 2021 3:45 pm

Im not convinced the musical is the cause of that. Im seeing cars in the states are climbing now which I think is more reason why theyre climbing here.
BHCC have been pushing prices up too for cars that still need all the usual work plus the BaT auctions doing the same (although thats more the buyers than BaT).

I still think those numbers quoted in the mag are a bit off (especially the 15k one) and if chris p is the one that supplied those figures then that explains why (as he is a bit out of touch with prices currently). If anyone can find a project in the uk for under 20k they should just buy it. Projects are becoming harder to find in the states and even those prices are increasing. However, these are all ones that get listed in various places and the ones sold just via word of mouth are usually lower.

I guess at the end of the day, these cars will sell for what someone else is willing to pay. The last few cars ive seen sell i would say the buyers overpaid but at the same time, it seems to be where the market is going.
DeLoryan
VIN 5219 - Oct 81
Grey Interior, Manual
Grooved Hood
DMC1983

Spaxed

Postby A Van » Mon Sep 13, 2021 3:52 pm

Agreed it isn’t just the musical… but it has renewed interest and I have taken now 4 calls for prospective owners in last week who are desperate after seeing the play!

Alistair V

Ex 11622, 6064

DeLorean Club

The Future's Bright....
The Future's
DeLorean Club
A Van

Spaxed

Postby DMC1983 » Mon Sep 13, 2021 4:08 pm

A Van wrote:Agreed it isn’t just the musical… but it has renewed interest and I have taken now 4 calls for prospective owners in last week who are desperate after seeing the play!

To be fair, Im not surprised. It was a fantastic show. All i wanted to do after is go for a drive in mine.
However, I hope these 4 people know what to look for. The head should rule the heart when it comes to buying a delorean but sadly ive seen it to be the other way round recently
DeLoryan
VIN 5219 - Oct 81
Grey Interior, Manual
Grooved Hood
DMC1983

Spaxed

Postby jerzybondov » Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:01 pm

DMC1983 wrote:Im not convinced the musical is the cause of that. Im seeing cars in the states are climbing now which I think is more reason why theyre climbing here.
BHCC have been pushing prices up too for cars that still need all the usual work plus the BaT auctions doing the same (although thats more the buyers than BaT).

I still think those numbers quoted in the mag are a bit off (especially the 15k one) and if chris p is the one that supplied those figures then that explains why (as he is a bit out of touch with prices currently). If anyone can find a project in the uk for under 20k they should just buy it. Projects are becoming harder to find in the states and even those prices are increasing. However, these are all ones that get listed in various places and the ones sold just via word of mouth are usually lower.

I guess at the end of the day, these cars will sell for what someone else is willing to pay. The last few cars ive seen sell i would say the buyers overpaid but at the same time, it seems to be where the market is going.

Arguably the value of DeLorean hasn't jumped as much as they might have been expected to, given the tailwinds the market is experiencing at the moment (second hand values generally / classic car values / 80s classics especially / BTTF musical) - especially given that at any given moment there's either zero or 1 privately owned car for sale in the UK. So it doesn't take much demand to shift that price point and the market dramatically.

If you look at what's happened to Audi Quattro prices in the last couple of years, or Sierra Cosworths - these have jumped by a massive amount at the top end. And a DeLorean is significantly easier/cheaper to run than a Quattro.

My feeling is that early last year a very good car was worth £40k.

Running into Q4 2021 I'd say that the £35-40k zone now covers 'average cars' (say a decent runner that needs some cosmetic work) and the best ones will be £45-50k. I don't think it'll be long before we see a £50k DeLorean change hands. (I'm not counting the wild couple of sellers online at the moment who have got theirs up at £55k for decidedly average looking specimens :lol: )

Prices here will naturally track the states, and Hagerty are now quoting a condition 2 (excellent condition, but not concours) car at $60.8k. So to import that car into the UK would cost you at least £50k - and then you'd have all of the faff of doing so and making it legal. So these are only going one way...

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?17604 ... uot/page12
VIN 7176
Official Club Reaper Extraordinaire.
jerzybondov

VIN #: 7176
Spaxed

Postby A Van » Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:42 pm

I agree with you Gez and your figures

Alistair V

Ex 11622, 6064

DeLorean Club

The Future's Bright....
The Future's
DeLorean Club
A Van

Spaxed

Postby bandit » Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:01 pm

jerzybondov wrote:
DMC1983 wrote:Im not convinced the musical is the cause of that. Im seeing cars in the states are climbing now which I think is more reason why theyre climbing here.

Arguably the value of DeLorean hasn't jumped as much as they might have been expected to, given the tailwinds the market is experiencing at the moment (second hand values generally / classic car values / 80s classics especially / BTTF musical) - especially given that at any given moment there's either zero or 1 privately owned car for sale in the UK. So it doesn't take much demand to shift that price point and the market dramatically.

If you look at what's happened to Audi Quattro prices in the last couple of years, or Sierra Cosworths - these have jumped by a massive amount at the top end. And a DeLorean is significantly easier/cheaper to run than a Quattro.

My feeling is that early last year a very good car was worth £40k.

Running into Q4 2021 I'd say that the £35-40k zone now covers 'average cars' (say a decent runner that needs some cosmetic work) and the best ones will be £45-50k. I don't think it'll be long before we see a £50k DeLorean change hands. (I'm not counting the wild couple of sellers online at the moment who have got theirs up at £55k for decidedly average looking specimens :lol: )

Prices here will naturally track the states, and Hagerty are now quoting a condition 2 (excellent condition, but not concours) car at $60.8k. So to import that car into the UK would cost you at least £50k - and then you'd have all of the faff of doing so and making it legal. So these are only going one way...

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?17604 ... uot/page12

Yes Jez, but Quattro’s & Cosworths are good cars :lol:
bandit

VIN #: 7024
Spaxed

Next

Return to Welcome! ... General DeLorean chat