New record for DeLorean prices?

Welcome to the DeLorean Club Forum, this area is for general DeLorean chat

New record for DeLorean prices?

Postby jerzybondov » Sun Nov 14, 2021 9:58 pm

This went at today's Silverstone auction: £73k!!

https://silverstoneauctions.com/sa077-l ... n=1&pp=100

Yes, the low mileage is responsible for the hammer price, but whoever's bought it is going to have to be prepared to throw a tonne of money at that to get it running right. Doesn't look like it's driven anywhere in decades.
VIN 7176
Official Club Reaper Extraordinaire.
jerzybondov

VIN #: 7176
Spaxed

Re: New record for DeLorean prices?

Postby DMC1983 » Sun Nov 14, 2021 11:19 pm

It likely will be a garage queen
DeLoryan
VIN 5219 - Oct 81
Grey Interior, Manual
Grooved Hood
Reg:  FNP 478W (Finding Numerous Problems)
Travelling And Recreation Developed In Style
Member of the Beverley Hills Car Club Club
DMC1983

VIN #: 5219
Spaxed

Postby A Van » Sun Nov 14, 2021 11:28 pm

Me and Julian had a look round it as it was parked next to the edge of the auction area
Stainless was bad - dents and scuffs

Chris Williams and Andrew Westerman were inside the area when we passed again and we all came to the conclusion
It looked low miles but not that low..

I would be staggered if anyone ever drives it , I think it is just for someone’s collection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Alistair V

Vin 11753 - B/Auto - Kuwait, painted black
Ex Vin 11766 - B/Auto - Dubai
Ex 11622, 6064

RIP Mike 'Bozzy' Bosworth 19/04/1969 - 31/12/2015

Official Spokesperson and Media Liaison Officer, and off road Buggy flipper
DeLorean Club

The Future's Bright....
The Future's
DeLorean Club
A Van

VIN #: 11753
Spaxed

Postby Rissy » Mon Nov 15, 2021 9:52 am

Had a good look round this car yesterday myself. Certainly low mileage, but potentially a combination of low mileage and broken angle drive at some point? Original Tyres hardly touched. LCAs only minor blemishes with regards to stress ruffling along the flanges. Interior looked old but not very worn out (except for a circular patch behind the passenger seat on the battery compartment flap (weird)). Doors needed attention to close properly, not a big deal. Surprisingly, the headliners didn't look too bad.
Questions regarding storage. The car was filthy beneath the surface. Clearly someone has had a pop at a few modernisations including brake lines at the front, and fuel lines at the back. Stainless hasn't been looked after, again, storage questions. This car probably could have collected more if someone had cleaned it up properly, and had Chris go over the stainless before auction, but for some, originality like that is worth more. Certainly some work and attention to get it running safely and reliably, but as is the common opinion, probably to be squirreled away again never to see the light until the next auction.

My opinion based estimate. Had this been a private sale, without "telephone bidders", only considering the low mileage and originality to boost the value; I think the price should have still only been about £45k, which is a bit of a kick in the teeth for people who've kept their car roadworthy, or restored it to be. All that time, effort and hard work, and money spent just to keep it at the same level of value (possibly lower - only due to auction trends) as someone who's never enjoyed that car, or driven it anywhere and instead kept stored somewhere just to degrade over time. Sad.

Congratulations to the new owner though. If desired, it could be a nice car with some love and attention put into it to bring it up to what possibly could be concourse material - fairly rare for this marque.
Rissy
Chris M. Morionem qui loquitur multus sine cogitatione.

May 1981 vin#1458
"LEX" - Officially used in Britain's Greatest Machines (80's episode) with Chris Barrie.
Grey Wheels
Grooved, flapped Bonnet
Black Leather Interior
Chassis: #1073
Engine: #2839

Main Car(s):

2005 BMW M3 E46 Shape 3.246 Straight Six in Velvet Blue
1999 Honda Civic MB6 Shape 1.8VTi VTEC in Pirates Black
Rissy

VIN #: 01458

Postby A Van » Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:54 pm

I think your off the mark there Chris with that price? With that low mileage which was verified, but admittedly possibly not that low it falls into collectors category which is a different marketplace than a road car.

Given the extremely low mileage never registered car at Brooklands a few years ago for about £57k ( which is not driven and likely never will be )

Even so one of the last cars to sell recently went for £50k ( which wasn’t all that tidy) another complete restoration project at £26k, RHD WH at £60k few weeks ago ( at least two other buyers would have paid £70k, but the seller took the asking price)

Alistair V

Ex 11622, 6064

DeLorean Club

The Future's Bright....
The Future's
DeLorean Club
A Van

Spaxed

Postby Rissy » Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:33 am

I could be off, I'm not aware of all cars which have sold or especially gone under the hammer. I'm just comparing to "normal" DeLorean type values and sales. However, I'm not sure why you think the mileage for this car was verified. It wasn't. There was NO accompanying paperwork for this car. So it couldn't be verified.

During that auction on Sunday, there was only one interested party, and conveniently, two "telephone bidders". Guess which one of these bidders won the car.

Everyone has an opinion, and I guess with differing opinions, if more than one person is bidding on anything then it's the difference in opinions which determines the person that bows out, and the person who goes on to take the prize, whether it's a reasonable value or not. I guess one could come back to absolute basics and say that something is worth what someone is willing to pay for it. in that case, absolutely I'm off the mark. But I wouldn't have paid that money for that car. There's much better examples out there to get for cheaper, not necessarily with some of the original attributes this one was sporting; let down by the lack of accompanying paperwork people would normally want to see as some sort of verification. Paperwork is just as important as the car itself, and some people forget that.
Rissy

May 1981 vin#1458
"LEX" - Officially used in Britain's Greatest Machines (80's episode) with Chris Barrie.
Grey Wheels
Grooved, flapped Bonnet
Black Leather Interior

Main Car(s):

Rissy

Postby A Van » Wed Nov 17, 2021 12:59 pm

There was some paperwork which is likely the bidder was aware off and possibly it wasn’t with the car.

https://silverstoneauctions.com/sa077-l ... -462-miles

Alistair V

Ex 11622, 6064

DeLorean Club

The Future's Bright....
The Future's
DeLorean Club
A Van

Spaxed

Postby Rissy » Wed Nov 17, 2021 1:40 pm

Strange. They were asking us at the show if we knew anything about it, because it was sporting an empty documents box?
Rissy

May 1981 vin#1458
Grey Wheels
Grooved, flapped Bonnet
Black Leather Interior

Main Car(s):

Rissy

Postby A Van » Wed Nov 17, 2021 2:54 pm

Well it must be somewhere I suppose

Probably with the seller to prevent removal etc

Alistair V

Ex 11622, 6064

DeLorean Club

The Future's Bright....
The Future's
DeLorean Club
A Van

Spaxed

Postby bandit » Wed Nov 17, 2021 7:13 pm

The lambda counter matched the mileage as well didn’t it Al ? Which whilst not an absolute guarantee of the miles it’s a good gauge
bandit

VIN #: 7024
Spaxed

Next

Return to Welcome! ... General DeLorean chat