Rear number plate woes

Welcome to the DeLorean Club Forum, this area is for general DeLorean chat

Re: Rear number plate woes

Postby jerzybondov » Tue Nov 23, 2021 4:14 pm

Dan 6511 wrote:
jerzybondov wrote:which will have scrambled the cops to go intercept me.

I wonder how quickly they scramble for a burglary :?

Does make you question their priorities doesn't it?
VIN 7176
Official Club Reaper Extraordinaire.
jerzybondov

VIN #: 7176
Spaxed

Postby bandit » Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:30 pm

jerzybondov wrote:
bandit wrote:Got fuck all else better to do obviously. Just like the prick who did me with GUll 81.
Oh & the other 6 who have nicked me for small bike plates over the years

What size have your plates been on the bikes Julian? I’m running 8x6 inch on mine and was hoping that was a decent compromise that wouldn’t attract the attention of the law!

7 x 5 is what I use
bandit

VIN #: 7024
Spaxed

Postby Daniel Shane » Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:02 pm

The problem was more likely that it was a USA style plate that is Illegal in the UK and the fact their Cameras can't read the Font.

I used to have a slightly smaller font for it to fit into the standard bezel and never had any trouble with the police in the UK, France, Belgium, Germany, Poland and Holland for it.

My guess is just that the California plate stands out like a sore thumb and they know its not an EU/UK standard on top of a car that stands out.
Dan Shane
DCUK 008
Ex VIN 4754

The Black Stig
DeLorean Club

The Future's Bright....
The Future's
DeLorean Club
Daniel Shane

VIN #: Ex 4754

Postby philipmcdonald » Wed Dec 08, 2021 11:27 am

jerzybondov wrote:So I’ve been rattling round in my DeLorean for 12 years, the vast majority of those with a U.S. style plate on the back which actually fits in the bezel, unlike a UK plate, which on my particular registration makes it ambiguous about what the letters are as the tops are obscured.

I’ve been pulled up for it once in central London - £50. But a number of separate police have seen the plate and not given a monkeys. It’s technically no more ‘illegal’ than the plates with the protruding letters or letters moved closer together.

And don’t get me started on the squids riding their R1s with a numberplate the size of a gnat somewhere up behind the hugger.

Anyway, I’m about 20 minutes into Belgium on the autoroute today and flashing lights behind me. He pulls me over into a services and threatens to confiscate the car for it having a ‘fake plate’.

He didn’t like my absence of GB sticker either. In the end he just fined me 125 euros. Madness. It’s not even their country’s plate?!

Really wasn’t expecting it to be cracked down on harder out of the country than it ever has done in the country. :doh:

What we did was to buy the solid aluminium frame from delorean go
we had the top and bottom milled out square by a few millimeteres which gave ones square around 5mm top and bottom clearance
refinished and refitted,
then you can fit legal uk import plates
and still see the top and bottom spaces small but clear
total cost around £200
philipmcdonald

VIN #: NOTSURE

Postby acmetowers » Sun Dec 12, 2021 12:48 am

Or the option I used was to buy a new registration that fitted the bezel. Got it from the dvla for £250 all in. Another benefit of this is that the front plate is very small. Image

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
acmetowers

VIN #: 10855

Postby Miles » Wed Dec 15, 2021 1:12 pm

I got my plate made by PlatesforCars and it fits perfectly, didn't have to specify letter size either!
Might be worth getting one so they stop giving you fines!
Those bloody "4D" plates are awful, they should clamp down on those, not a slightly cut off letter. :roll:
The Door Whore

Vin #4529
Miles

VIN #: 4529
Spaxed

Postby jerzybondov » Sat Dec 18, 2021 12:14 pm

Miles wrote:I got my plate made by PlatesforCars and it fits perfectly, didn't have to specify letter size either!
Those bloody "4D" plates are awful, they should clamp down on those, not a slightly cut off letter. :roll:

Couldn't agree more on the 4D plates. The venn diagram of 4D plated owners and massive twats is almost a perfect circle.

You got any pics of your plate Miles?
VIN 7176
jerzybondov

Spaxed

Postby bandit » Sun Dec 19, 2021 4:01 pm

jerzybondov wrote:
Miles wrote:I got my plate made by PlatesforCars and it fits perfectly, didn't have to specify letter size either!

Couldn't agree more on the 4D plates. The venn diagram of 4D plated owners and massive twats is almost a perfect circle.

You got any pics of your plate Miles?

Why are they even ‘a thing’ I don’t get it!
They’re not particularly trick looking or innovative in any way, yet they seem to have taken off hugely
bandit

Spaxed

Postby jerzybondov » Mon Dec 20, 2021 12:41 pm

Are they even technically legal? They don't have the plate manufacturer written underneath, nor do they have the code bottom right. So technically they're no better than my US style rear plate? Which at least looks good!
VIN 7176
jerzybondov

Spaxed

Postby bandit » Tue Dec 21, 2021 9:11 pm

jerzybondov wrote:Are they even technically legal? They don't have the plate manufacturer written underneath, nor do they have the code bottom right. So technically they're no better than my US style rear plate? Which at least looks good!

My understanding is they are not
bandit

Spaxed

PreviousNext

Return to Welcome! ... General DeLorean chat