Finally got round to sending my chassis

Welcome to the DeLorean Club Forum, this area is for general DeLorean chat

Finally got round to sending my chassis

Postby mnickels » Thu Oct 15, 2009 4:38 pm

Well after using every excuse not to strip everything off my chassis I finally got round to sending it. Thomas caught me up with his frame off so had to knuckle down. The 2 chassis's are now on a lorry winging their way to Prostrip in Nottingham. Here are some photos

Previous restoration progress on http://www.deloreaneurotec.co.uk/forum/ ... php?t=1069

Ireland Rep
DeLorean Club

The Future's Bright....
The Future's
DeLorean Club
mnickels

VIN #: 2456
Spaxed

Re: Finally got round to sending my chassis

Postby bozzzydmc » Thu Oct 15, 2009 4:48 pm

Great work Matt... and good choice of place to send your chassis ... looking forward to seeing that when its done buddy

Mike
Bozzzy | DCUK 003 | Yorkshire, UK

DeLorean Club
bozzzydmc

Postby mnickels » Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:45 pm

After a delay I have heard back from Prostrip and my frame is ready. Unfortunately the delay was due to the frame requiring grit blasting to remove rust and corrosion which was present once the epoxy was stripped off. This not only caused a 5 day delay but nearly doubled the price from the quote given. Was £200+VAT, now £360+VAT!!!!

It also means I won't be here to recieve it. In case you don't know, I am going to Tenerife for 10 days of sunshine on Thursday. At least it will be here when I get back to get the metal repairs done prior to galvanising.

Thomas's chassis is meant to be in the same condition and is costing the same so anyone else thinking of getting theirs done here expect a similar price.
Previous restoration progress on http://www.deloreaneurotec.co.uk/forum/ ... php?t=1069

Ireland Rep
DeLorean Club

The Future's Bright....
The Future's
DeLorean Club
mnickels

Spaxed

Postby tourettes tony » Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:34 pm

i would like to do mine but i dont think i could take it :lol: TT
vin# freedom :)
X factor winner 2009
Yorkshire squirt winner 2009
Officially no more engine rebuilds well maybe 2 more :)

If you need any Tech help, don't ask
Club Cultural Ambassador and Official Tourettes Tutor
DeLorean Club

The Future's Bright....
The Future's
DeLorean Club
tourettes tony

VIN #: 30035

Postby arranj » Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:52 pm

Matt - is there much wrong with your frame? Are you being picky? Or do I need to do mine too?! :?
Arran | DCUK 004 | VIN #1764 | Official DeLorean Club World Headquarters, Norfolk, UK

Das Webmeister
DeLorean Club

arranj

VIN #: 1764
Spaxed

Postby mnickels » Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:06 pm

I wouldn't say that my frame was structurally inadequate or was even in a bad cosmetic condition but I suppose you never know until the epoxy is stripped back. All I was aware of was cosmetic rust on around the fuel tank plate, behind the exhaust silencer and front cross member as well as the bottom of the rear shock towers being pretty much battered and disintegrating. I haven't seen pictures and am a bit annoyed that work almost doubling the quoted price was carried out without authorisation, but if it was needed then I am glad I undertook this process as if I hadn't then who knows what problems would have occurred down the line.

Ireland Rep
DeLorean Club

The Future's Bright....
The Future's
DeLorean Club
mnickels

Spaxed

Postby DeLorean Cars » Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:39 am

With a chemical process, you get rid of all contaminents (epoxy, grease & oil etc) as well as rust all in one hit. Also avoids heating the chassis up.
DeLorean Cars

VIN #: 4772, 3352

Postby dmc4087 » Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:15 am

DeLorean Cars wrote:With a chemical process, you get rid of all contaminents (epoxy, grease & oil etc) as well as rust all in one hit. Also avoids heating the chassis up.

That was my understanding of it too Martin, and I was happier with that as the good metal wouldnt be stressed with sand blasting

We might have to talk to them again Matt
dmc4087

VIN #: 04087
Spaxed

Postby bozzzydmc » Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:26 am

Hi Matt,

So just to clarify 'ProStrip' only use chemicals to remove the epoxy and not an oven / grit blasting.

In your case the grit blasting was only used to remove the areas of rust.

http://prostrip.co.uk/content/view/13/27/

Mike
Bozzzy | DCUK 003 | Yorkshire, UK

DeLorean Club
bozzzydmc

Postby DeLorean Cars » Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:10 am

No - as I understand it (and I could be wrong here - I've never used ProStrip, only had secondhand info from the place I use) they don't have a bath large enough for the DeLorean frame, so use an oven to burn it off. This won't get rid of rust though.
DeLorean Cars

VIN #: 4772, 3352

Next

Return to Welcome! ... General DeLorean chat