Laserdisc power supply help (most OT thing I could ask)

For anything else not specifically DeLorean related....

Laserdisc power supply help (most OT thing I could ask)

Postby jamesrguk » Sat Dec 26, 2015 4:31 pm

Hi all,

I know there are some electronics geniuses in the club so thought I would post this here.

I have a soft spot for the laserdisc format, and indeed have just acquired a 'new' player for Christmas.

This is my fourth LD player, its predecessor, the Pioneer CLD2850, which I still have, packed up about 11months ago, it just gets stuck in standby mode and won't fire up at all. It seems that the power supplys on these pioneer LD players are prone to dying and that is probably the case here.

I have very little by the way of electrical knowledge but am lead to believe that often one or more of the capacitors on the PSU circuit board may have gone bad.

I have tested various internal fueses etc... Which is pretty much the extent of my electrical knowledge.

I am a little loathed to bin the unit, as it has always worked very well and is the later 2-sided style of player.

Would anyone on the forum be interested in having a stab at fixing it? I would expect to pay.

Also what's the thoughts on my newer unit, should I leave it switched off at the wall when not in use? Is that better for the PSU than leaving it in standby? My latest unit is the best LD player I've had to date and want it to last as long as possible!

James
jamesrguk

VIN #: 5462
Spaxed

Return to Off Topic