New MOT Laws

For anything else not specifically DeLorean related....

New MOT Laws

Postby MikeWard » Tue Dec 29, 2015 4:25 pm

Borrowed from another forum.

Just in case some of you didn't realise.

Historically if you put your car in early for MOT and it failed, you were still legal to drive.

This is no longer the case.

If your car fails it has no MOT even if your old certificate has a month to run

Apparently this became enforceable November 2015.

and:
New EU MOT rules starting from 2017

Despite sweeping changes to the MOT Test demanded by the EU which took effect at the beginning of 2012, even more far reaching changes will take affect after 2017.

For the motorist the biggest change will be that cars with defects which render them ‘dangerous to drive’ could be banned from the road, although whether or not that will happen in Britain is as yet undecided. There will also be changes around how vehicles’ emissions are checked and regarding electronic components which have a safety related function, such as adaptive braking, cruise control and traction control.

The new EU rules are in the form of a Directive, so exactly how they will appear in the MOT Test can be decided by the British Government – and the Department for Transport, working with the Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency will in due course be working out the details. Until that task is completed it won’t be possible to say exactly how motorists will be affected.

Historic vehicles and ‘substantial’ change

One aspect of the new EU rules is a change in the definition of an ‘Historic Vehicle’ which can be exempted from MOT Test. Whereas currently the British MOT exemption cut-off is 1960, the new EU rules apply the exemption when a vehicle is 30 years old – unless it has undergone “substantial change” from how it was when manufactured. Again, this could affect the owners of historic vehicles, depending on what the Department for Transport (DfT) define as a ‘substantial change’.

We understand that the DfT will be running a ‘workshop’ with interested parties to consult on issues surrounding the new EU rules on such Historic Vehicles.

- - - Updated - - -

EU wants to 'split' MOTs and repairs…

UK motorists would be massively inconvenienced by the EU's latest MOT proposals

-Many EU member states recently rejected a raft of 'new MOT road safety measures' from the EU which would have entailed increased costs to both the respective states and to motorists in those states.
-The measures were rejected both on the grounds of cost and on the technical issue of the EU's right to impose a 'Regulation' of this kind on member states.
-The European Parliament has responded by suggesting, among other things, that MOT Testing Stations should not be allowed to carry out repairs to vehicles which they had been or would be involved in Testing.
-This measure would result in inconvenience and expense for the car driver at the very least, with the likelihood of large conglomerates establishing massive Testing-only centres outside towns and cities.

Last summer, the European Commission proposed a number of significant changes to the European MOT Test, with which the British Government would have to comply, which would not only have significantly inconvenienced motorists, but would also have cost the country almost two billion pounds in unnecessary costs.
The majority of those proposals were rejected by member states of the European Union, so the Commission had to put forward a much watered-down version for scrutiny by the European Parliament. The Parliament, however, decided to recommend some further changes of their own, the most significant of which was to propose that in future MOT Testing Stations would not be able to carry out MOT repairs; and Testers would not be able to repair a vehicle for which they were going to do the re-Test.
Extra time, inconvenience and cost
In Britain this would seriously inconvenience motorists, by forcing them to make three different journeys should their cars fail the MOT. The first journey to a 'stand alone' MOT Testing Station which would not be allowed to carry out repairs. Then another journey to a vehicle service and repair business to get the work done, and finally, a trip back to the Testing Station for a re-test, and probably another full fee to pay.
This is in contrast to the current system whereby if a car fails the MOT, and the garage can repair it straight away, then assuming it is convenient for the car owner, that is what happens. This is especially convenient when the failure is very simple, a small bulb, or a wiper blade perhaps.
Clearly the changes suggested by the European Parliament would not only cost motorists more, but would be hugely inconvenient too – especially for working mothers, for example, who simply haven't got the time to plan for three different trips around the school run and all the other things they have to do to get their cars MOT Tested and repaired at different places.
DeLorean Club

The Future's Bright....
The Future's
DeLorean Club
MikeWard

VIN #: 04708

Re: New MOT Laws

Postby eric » Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:22 am

Could do with an update in this section now.. I believe come 2021 the 40 year rule will come into play for most of us and MOT exemption.

"The outcome from the ‘Roadworthiness testing for vehicles of historic interest’ consultation was released on 14 September 2017.
We have decided that most vehicles over 40 years old (on a rolling basis) will be exempt from MOT testing from 20 May 2018."

I think there has been a lot of tightening on the fault/warning lights as well, these would have been advisories but are now fails. So if your Labmda light were on it would be a fail.

There is only one thing in life worse than not owning a DeLorean.
Owning one which is not running...
eric

VIN #: 7161
Spaxed

Postby bandit » Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:22 am

You’d take the bulb out then wouldn’t you.
bandit

VIN #: 7024
Spaxed

Postby eric » Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:33 am

Or reset it :) I read a nasty story on the Defender forums about someone who purchased one and it turns out the chap had loads of faults, had removed dash glass taped over all the slots as it was easier than getting to the bulbs and put it back together then MOT'd it for it to pass.

There is only one thing in life worse than not owning a DeLorean.
Owning one which is not running...
eric

VIN #: 7161
Spaxed

Postby MikeWard » Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:35 am

I'm not sure I agree with removing the need for a test - most of us look after out cars, but think of the owners who don't, they'll be all kinds of crap suddenly permitted on the road. I still intend to chuck mine in once a year, if nothing else it's good to have a fresh pair of eyes look over the car in case they notice something you haven't.

On the plus side though, free road tax! :dance: :jzd:

bandit wrote:You’d take the bulb out then wouldn’t you.
Or disconnect the electrical plug at the lambda counter box :)
DeLorean Club

The Future's Bright....
The Future's
DeLorean Club
MikeWard

VIN #: 04708

Postby bandit » Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:46 pm

I’m doing fuck all with any of mine mot wise, once they are 40 yrs old, the Government can go swivel. I’ve got one that’s in that bracket now, one that’s a 1980 & my 81 D’ so they are both close.
The thieving, sanctimonious, self pocket lining, none Brexit sorting pricks can fuck off if they think they’re havin’ owt more off me than I have to give.
bandit

Spaxed

Postby arranj » Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:39 pm

I'm predicting a sudden dip in demand for windscreen washer pump motors ;)
Arran | DCUK 004 | VIN #1764 | Official DeLorean Club World Headquarters, Norfolk, UK

Das Webmeister
DeLorean Club

arranj

VIN #: 1764
Spaxed

Postby bandit » Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:06 pm

Ha ha yeh, the one on my van has been fucked for the last 4 mot’s & passed every time. You need a good tester
bandit

Spaxed

Postby andys » Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:15 pm

l wonder if insurance companies will want some sort of annual test once they hit 40 years old.

May be worth some MOT stations doing a MOT ‘lite’ for classics to check the essentials, brakes, steering etc.

I personnally appreciate a second pair of eyes just to make sure I havent done anything stupid.
Andy Smith

VIN #3592
andys

VIN #: 3592
Spaxed

Postby andyd » Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:54 pm

Every so often I trek up to norfolk to have lots of pairs of eyes confirm my stupidity!
andyd

VIN #: 814

Next

Return to Off Topic