Price Gains

For anything else not specifically DeLorean related....

Re: Price Gains

Postby Darren C » Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:49 pm

Yes Really Biff! :shock:

I was fortunate to buy my car when it was $2 to the £1 :D
It cost me a tad over £7K with all taxes paid to buy & ship to Southampton.
Insurance in a multicar policy for me was £68 year fully comp on the De in 2006 rising to almost £100 this year.
Storage costs are Zero as I have garaging at home.
Maintenance over the 9 years is probably around £500 as I do it myself.
The biggest cost was in the restoration which I suppose I spent about £3K on parts. Again labour was free.
So I suppose over the 9 years it's cost me about £11,500.00 all in.
To be fair no one quotes what insurance, restoration or maintenance has cost during ownership when it comes to price rises; so in the current marketplace with a nice Delorean priced between £30 & £40K (some have recently fetched more) with a purchase price of just over £7K a 400% mark up is about right in my circumstances. :D
Last edited by Darren C on Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
@classiccarguru1
Darren C

VIN #: 4532
Spaxed

Postby Darren C » Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:52 pm

A Van wrote:
Admin-bloke wrote:And I thought the streets were paved with gold down South. .. ;)

Only when Darren's earrings fall out

Shiver me timbers......aaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

:lol:
@classiccarguru1
Darren C

Spaxed

Postby A Van » Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:22 pm

I am sure I remember someone working on your car though Darren..... :) :)
Alistair V

Vin 11753 - B/Auto - Kuwait, painted black
Ex Vin 11766 - B/Auto - Dubai
Ex 11622, 6064

RIP Mike 'Bozzy' Bosworth 19/04/1969 - 31/12/2015

Official Spokesperson and Media Liaison Officer, and off road Buggy flipper
DeLorean Club

The Future's Bright....
The Future's
DeLorean Club
A Van

VIN #: 11753
Spaxed

Postby Biff » Tue Jan 19, 2016 12:25 am

Darren C wrote:Yes Really Biff! :shock:

I was fortunate to buy my car when it was $2 to the £1 :D
It cost me a tad over £7K with all taxes paid to buy & ship to Southampton.
Insurance in a multicar policy for me was £68 year fully comp on the De in 2006 rising to almost £100 this year.
Storage costs are Zero as I have garaging at home.
Maintenance over the 9 years is probably around £500 as I do it myself.
The biggest cost was in the restoration which I suppose I spent about £3K on parts. Again labour was free.
So I suppose over the 9 years it's cost me about £11,500.00 all in.
To be fair no one quotes what insurance, restoration or maintenance has cost during ownership when it comes to price rises; so in the current marketplace with a nice Delorean priced between £30 & £40K (some have recently fetched more) with a purchase price of just over £7K a 400% mark up is about right in my circumstances. :D

Didn't mean it to be abrupt Darren just talking. chewing the fat! :D

Thinking about it, you should add in costs as you where comparing it to other paper assets.
Allowing for inflation £7k has got to be £8/8.3k nowadays.
Car insurance should be included as you should include protecting your asset.
Home garaging is still an cost/investment for the asset. You are paying for that garage, be it rates, heat/light, repairs, house insurance or property purchase cost.
Even if you don't count your labour and put it down to hobbie/past-time, the restoration costs should be included as you'd hope the resto has improved the car & also the resale value.
Even after all costs of ownership, you're still looking at well over 100% pure profit and a whole load of fun.
Not bad at all. :clap:
Biff

VIN #: 05127

Postby arranj » Tue Jan 19, 2016 1:13 am

Biff wrote:a whole load of fun.

This is a benefit in kind, which needs to be charged back to those costs, or else added on top of the asset value. Owning a block of gold brings (for the sake of argument) little-to-no day-to-day benefit, other than its capital increase. But if the car has been used over the same period of time, then that use needs to be factored in too, and a significant monetary allowance made for it.
Arran | DCUK 004 | VIN #1764 | Official DeLorean Club World Headquarters, Norfolk, UK

Das Webmeister
DeLorean Club

arranj

VIN #: 1764
Spaxed

Postby jamesrguk » Tue Jan 19, 2016 1:19 am

I bought mine for £9'500 in 1999 about £15k with inflation over the past 15years (fun tool for seeing how inflation effects things) http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/bill ... -1900.html

I must have spent £5000 spread over the years on parts, then there's 15years of Mot + Tax + Insurance which must average £300/annum so that's £4500 alone

Although labour has been 90% DIY so the car probably stands me £24'500 I might be able to get £27'000 for it, so in short I have enjoyed owning and maintaining a delorean but haven't really lost money. Is it a good investment over those 15years, not particularly.

Oh and 20'000 miles of driving at an average of 22mpg / £0.95/ltd since 1999 adds another £4'000

Obviously if you just look at the recent years that figures would probably be more impressive as there is no doubt certainly over the past 4,5,6 years the prices have sharply risen.

Unfortunate for those hoping to buy their 1st D though, it's all irrelevant to me as I never plan on selling it.

Obviously there is the fun and experiences which owning a DeLorean has granted me which you can't put a price on, people I've met, friendships I've made, places I've gone simply because I own this funny little car.

If I went back to 1999 I would tell myself to buy the car every time.

J
jamesrguk

VIN #: 5462
Spaxed

Postby bandit » Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:54 am

It starts getting a bit ott if you apply your rates paid on your own garage as a direct cost of owning the car ( which of course, it's not ) if you happen to have a garage you would have those costs anyway, they are F A to do with owning a car.
In my case my running costs are nil, cos Malc lives near me, so I just drive around with his plate on & don't bother with things like tax & insurance as I know Malc is a very law abiding chap.
The same plate also helps when doing a drive off from fuel stations. You should try it
So all in all my car has made 40000% gain
& therefore I'm the winner :lol:
bandit

VIN #: 7024
Spaxed

Postby Darren C » Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:02 am

Arran, James you’re absolutely right, you can’t put Delorean ownership on a balance sheet.
The fun, friends, experiences and general joy the car gives to others is priceless.

Biff, if you count the amount of charity money I’ve been privileged to raise directly from Delorean ownership in you’re “cold accountancy view” my cars returned 800% :D
@classiccarguru1
Darren C

Spaxed

Postby A Van » Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:18 am

bandit wrote:It starts getting a bit ott if you apply your rates paid on your own garage as a direct cost of owning the car ( which of course, it's not ) if you happen to have a garage you would have those costs anyway, they are F A to do with owning a car.
In my case my running costs are nil, cos Malc lives near me, so I just drive around with his plate on & don't bother with things like tax & insurance as I know Malc is a very law abiding chap.
The same plate also helps when doing a drive off from fuel stations. You should try it
So all in all my car has made 40000% gain
& therefore I'm the winner :lol:

Pmsl
Alistair V

Vin 11753 - B/Auto - Kuwait, painted black
Ex Vin 11766 - B/Auto - Dubai
Ex 11622, 6064

RIP Mike 'Bozzy' Bosworth 19/04/1969 - 31/12/2015

Official Spokesperson and Media Liaison Officer, and off road Buggy flipper
DeLorean Club

The Future's Bright....
The Future's
DeLorean Club
A Van

VIN #: 11753
Spaxed

Postby Biff » Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:26 am

bandit wrote:It starts getting a bit ott if you apply your rates paid on your own garage as a direct cost of owning the car ( which of course, it's not ) if you happen to have a garage you would have those costs anyway, they are F A to do with owning a car.

Yes you are right, if you are just talking about your hobbie etc.
But earlier in this thread Delorean ownership was talked about in financial terms, compared against other assets/commodities.
In which case, all financial implications should be considered.
A car dealership, where the car is purely seen as asset/profit/loss, would have to consider these implications for the storage unit. (Unless you are 'Wheeler Dealers!' of-course :lol: )
If you truly wanted to remove this cost, you could just park it up, un-insured, on a bit of waste land for 15 years and hope for the best. :?
Biff

VIN #: 05127

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic