Working in London

For anything else not specifically DeLorean related....

Working in London

Postby mnickels » Wed Apr 27, 2016 5:05 pm

Gents, I am contemplating a potential job opportunity in London. More specifically in the Holborn area.

It would mean a major change for the family and me, so I am trying to weigh up if it is worth it. It does pay a good chunk of change but if costs rise by the same amount to survive, then there is no point in making the change.

The suggestion has been to commute from Essex. I know there are a few natives on here. What areas are recommended? I can maybe weigh up costs from that.
Previous restoration progress on http://www.deloreaneurotec.co.uk/forum/ ... php?t=1069

Ireland Rep
DeLorean Club

The Future's Bright....
The Future's
DeLorean Club
mnickels

VIN #: 2456
Spaxed

Re: Working in London

Postby Daniel Shane » Wed Apr 27, 2016 6:01 pm

Hi

My company have an office in Holborn and I have a mate that commutes in. It's about an hour and a half on a good day on the train each way. Costs is about 3k a year and trust me it's a tough commute. I travel in from Kent and on a bad day can take 3 hours each way!

Make sure it's job you like otherwise you will end up hating the travel. Also as its west end the cost of food and drinks is high pluse it's full of tourists making getting about and into places hard work

Dan
Dan Shane
DCUK 008
Ex VIN 4754

The Black Stig
DeLorean Club

The Future's Bright....
The Future's
DeLorean Club
Daniel Shane

VIN #: Ex 4754

Postby mnickels » Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:02 pm

Daniel Shane wrote:Hi

My company have an office in Holborn and I have a mate that commutes in. It's about an hour and a half on a good day on the train each way. Costs is about 3k a year and trust me it's a tough commute. I travel in from Kent and on a bad day can take 3 hours each way!

Make sure it's job you like otherwise you will end up hating the travel. Also as its west end the cost of food and drinks is high pluse it's full of tourists making getting about and into places hard work

Dan

Cheers Dan. The job itself is similar to what I have been doing for a number of years now. I do enjoy it.

Struggling to see how to get somewhere for the family for less than than the extra money being offered though. Would be no better off in any locations close to the central or Piccadilly lines
Previous restoration progress on http://www.deloreaneurotec.co.uk/forum/ ... php?t=1069

Ireland Rep
DeLorean Club

The Future's Bright....
The Future's
DeLorean Club
mnickels

Spaxed

Postby jerzybondov » Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:20 pm

Personally I wouldn't commute in from Essex - major trek. Having said that - if it's going to be a long term thing, have you looked at the places that Crossrail is going to serve? That might suddenly make the whole thing rather doable...
VIN 7176
Official Club Reaper Extraordinaire.
jerzybondov

VIN #: 7176
Spaxed

Postby mnickels » Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:34 pm

jerzybondov wrote:Personally I wouldn't commute in from Essex - major trek. Having said that - if it's going to be a long term thing, have you looked at the places that Crossrail is going to serve? That might suddenly make the whole thing rather doable...

Will have to look into that and what the potential short and long term options are

Ireland Rep
DeLorean Club

The Future's Bright....
The Future's
DeLorean Club
mnickels

Spaxed

Postby Admin-bloke » Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:50 pm

Dan

£3k for the pleasure of 3 hours commute each way? That's a day's work in itself.

I won't ever complain about the 20 minute drive into work ever again. ....

Chuff me.....
Admin-bloke, "The D Whisperer"
Pie n Pint Northerner....
Vin #4068 - y'official "Mighty Auto" test car for Admin-bloke tuning.

https://www.justgiving.com/campnibble

Forum Founder [means I just installed it........] and Tech Help
DeLorean Club

The Future's Bright....
The Future's
DeLorean Club
Admin-bloke

VIN #: 4068
Spaxed

Postby mnickels » Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:57 pm

Admin-bloke wrote:

Dan

£3k for the pleasure of 3 hours commute each way? That's a day's work in itself.

I won't ever complain about the 20 minute drive into work ever again. ....

Chuff me.....

The more I look at it the more ridiculous it seems lol

Ireland Rep
DeLorean Club

The Future's Bright....
The Future's
DeLorean Club
mnickels

Spaxed

Postby andyd » Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:08 pm

Hi mate,

The other side:

I live in n12. Nearest tube station is woodside park on the northern line.

15 min walk to the tube, 30 mins on the tube to Warren street, I work in Tottenham Court Road. Leave the house at 8, on bicycle with kid to drop him at nursery, then onto the tube. Always get a seat, Always in work before 9.

Tube is 150 quid a month, which is a bit of a rub. A 2 bed flat here is about 1200 to 1400 a month I think.

Personally, I'm happy as a pig in shit. London rocks, I love it. Working in central london (round Holborn etc) is also fun. Family is good, wife also happy. Kid is not a horrible toerag, schools are good. Got a garage, but thats for bikes (previously for commuting, much cheaper than the tube!) So I rent a lock up for the d.

If you come for interview etc, give me a shout. Also if you like I can put you up for a couple of days? But n12 is perhaps a bit far out for convenience!

Just my 2p worth!

Cheers

Andy
andyd

VIN #: 814

Postby mnickels » Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:53 pm

andyd wrote:Hi mate,

The other side:

I live in n12. Nearest tube station is woodside park on the northern line.

15 min walk to the tube, 30 mins on the tube to Warren street, I work in Tottenham Court Road. Leave the house at 8, on bicycle with kid to drop him at nursery, then onto the tube. Always get a seat, Always in work before 9.

Tube is 150 quid a month, which is a bit of a rub. A 2 bed flat here is about 1200 to 1400 a month I think.

Personally, I'm happy as a pig in shit. London rocks, I love it. Working in central london (round Holborn etc) is also fun. Family is good, wife also happy. Kid is not a horrible toerag, schools are good. Got a garage, but thats for bikes (previously for commuting, much cheaper than the tube!) So I rent a lock up for the d.

If you come for interview etc, give me a shout. Also if you like I can put you up for a couple of days? But n12 is perhaps a bit far out for convenience!

Just my 2p worth!

Cheers

Andy

Cheers Andy! Will definitely give you a shout if I make it that far.

My main issue is the space required for the wife and 4 daughters!

The company are keen that I relocate but a room for me only, and flights each week is around £900 per month. Space for everyone it is looking closer to £2000 which eats into the increased salary a fair whack

Ireland Rep
DeLorean Club

The Future's Bright....
The Future's
DeLorean Club
mnickels

Spaxed

Postby Daniel Shane » Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:52 pm

Personally I hate London

Over priced rat hole that I just don't see the attraction of. For the same money as a flat I can have a 4 bed house, 150 foot garden, double garage, big drive and county side.

It's horses for courses. Some love it other hate hit. I'm in the latter !
Dan Shane
DCUK 008
Ex VIN 4754

The Black Stig
DeLorean Club

The Future's Bright....
The Future's
DeLorean Club
Daniel Shane

VIN #: Ex 4754

Next

Return to Off Topic