Working in London

For anything else not specifically DeLorean related....

Re: Working in London

Postby mec » Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:30 am

We live in Romford Essex, Gemma commutes into London, She works in St pauls which isn't to far from Holborn, It takes her about an hour or so to get in, I will check what she pays a year, It is cheaper from where we live than say Brentwood for example which is only one train stop Further on but costs around a £1000 more in train fares as it goes into the next zone,
another option for you is to bike into London, not sure if you know but I'm doing the Knowledge to become a Central London Black cab driver, It would probably also take me about an hour to get to Holborn on the scooter its about 20 odd miles, not sure if you have a bike licence but it could be another option
NTH347X... now DMC 81X
Mike C aka MEC
vin - #4395

2009 DMC Europe open house Roadtrip member
Official 2010 Silvercoast "Chaved Banana"
Unofficial 2011 Eurofest Autotest WINNER ! 128.7 secs
2013 Silvercoast DMC Roadtrip Representitive
Eurofest 2016 Roadtrip member
2019 Hamburg Official Convoy Member

DeLorean Club
mec

VIN #: 4395
Spaxed

Postby mnickels » Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:23 am

mec wrote:We live in Romford Essex, Gemma commutes into London, She works in St pauls which isn't to far from Holborn, It takes her about an hour or so to get in, I will check what she pays a year, It is cheaper from where we live than say Brentwood for example which is only one train stop Further on but costs around a £1000 more in train fares as it goes into the next zone,
another option for you is to bike into London, not sure if you know but I'm doing the Knowledge to become a Central London Black cab driver, It would probably also take me about an hour to get to Holborn on the scooter its about 20 odd miles, not sure if you have a bike licence but it could be another option

Thanks Mike. Will look into costs associated with your hood.
Previous restoration progress on http://www.deloreaneurotec.co.uk/forum/ ... php?t=1069

Ireland Rep
DeLorean Club

The Future's Bright....
The Future's
DeLorean Club
mnickels

VIN #: 2456
Spaxed

Postby delorean12uk » Thu Apr 28, 2016 3:37 pm

mnickels wrote:Gents, I am contemplating a potential job opportunity in London. More specifically in the Holborn area.

It would mean a major change for the family and me, so I am trying to weigh up if it is worth it. It does pay a good chunk of change but if costs rise by the same amount to survive, then there is no point in making the change.

The suggestion has been to commute from Essex. I know there are a few natives on here. What areas are recommended? I can maybe weigh up costs from that.

Hi Matt, I'll put my 2 pennys worth in, Commuting from Essex isn't so bad if you use the right rail line. The C2C line is really good, but the Obello line is really poor, Ironically I live 8 minutes walk form from Rayleigh station which is Obello, but my Alex drives to Benfleet which is C2C. It costs her about 4k a year to commute, but the line is very good compared to the other one and they compensate you if the train is late/delayed as well.
I don't know whether you are planning to buy or rent, but properties in Essex are getting very expensive as well, climbing up in price along side the properties in and around London. Would it be permanent or temporary move??? The house next to me is forsale, I think because the neighbours can't stand me, you could move in there, Mandy could chat with Alex, whilst we go out and play knock down ginger and set fire to bags of dog shit planted on peoples door steps
Vin: Friday afternoon car, because the bastard thing likes to break all the time

Daily Maintenance a Certainty

Delorean Enthusiasts Love Official Reunions Especially At Norfolk

DeLorean Club

The Future's Bright....
The Future's
DeLorean Club
delorean12uk

VIN #: 4989

Postby Dangermouse » Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:29 pm

mnickels wrote:The company are keen that I relocate but a room for me only, and flights each week is around £900 per month.

If you are thinking about commuting back and forth from Belfast, don't. My cousin did it for a couple of years and while it was fun to be in the big city with no responsibilities (bars, shows etc), looking back, he regrets it as he missed so much of his kids growing up.
Dermot
vin 2743
Ex-Dunmurry-ite,
but now nr. Atlanta GA
US o'A

Vin 2743 – Black, Auto, non-lowered, non-Spaxed, non-carbed, non-turbo’d, non-de-catted, just as Neal drove it on the boat in August ‘81
Dangermouse

VIN #: 2743

Postby mnickels » Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:55 pm

delorean12uk wrote:
mnickels wrote:Gents, I am contemplating a potential job opportunity in London. More specifically in the Holborn area.

It would mean a major change for the family and me, so I am trying to weigh up if it is worth it. It does pay a good chunk of change but if costs rise by the same amount to survive, then there is no point in making the change.

The suggestion has been to commute from Essex. I know there are a few natives on here. What areas are recommended? I can maybe weigh up costs from that.

Hi Matt, I'll put my 2 pennys worth in, Commuting from Essex isn't so bad if you use the right rail line. The C2C line is really good, but the Obello line is really poor, Ironically I live 8 minutes walk form from Rayleigh station which is Obello, but my Alex drives to Benfleet which is C2C. It costs her about 4k a year to commute, but the line is very good compared to the other one and they compensate you if the train is late/delayed as well.
I don't know whether you are planning to buy or rent, but properties in Essex are getting very expensive as well, climbing up in price along side the properties in and around London. Would it be permanent or temporary move??? The house next to me is forsale, I think because the neighbours can't stand me, you could move in there, Mandy could chat with Alex, whilst we go out and play knock down ginger and set fire to bags of dog shit planted on peoples door steps

Thanks Jay! The knock down ginger puts a whole new perspective on the opportunity. It would be permanent but initially be renting with no reason why I wouldn't buy if it was more beneficial.

All hypothetical at this point but have to be prepared if the opportunity presents itself. Accommodation costing £1.4k per month or more, plus commute, would leave me no better off than I am now though. For my large family I may take at least that...
Previous restoration progress on http://www.deloreaneurotec.co.uk/forum/ ... php?t=1069

Ireland Rep
DeLorean Club

The Future's Bright....
The Future's
DeLorean Club
mnickels

Spaxed

Postby mnickels » Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:56 pm

Dangermouse wrote:
mnickels wrote:The company are keen that I relocate but a room for me only, and flights each week is around £900 per month.

If you are thinking about commuting back and forth from Belfast, don't. My cousin did it for a couple of years and while it was fun to be in the big city with no responsibilities (bars, shows etc), looking back, he regrets it as he missed so much of his kids growing up.

Agree. Would hope we could all go but need serious coin to exist there

Ireland Rep
DeLorean Club

The Future's Bright....
The Future's
DeLorean Club
mnickels

Spaxed

Postby mec » Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:22 pm

I have spoken to Gem and she was paying £2364 per year for a yearly travel card
NTH347X... now DMC 81X
Mike C aka MEC
vin - #4395

2009 DMC Europe open house Roadtrip member
Official 2010 Silvercoast "Chaved Banana"
Unofficial 2011 Eurofest Autotest WINNER ! 128.7 secs
2013 Silvercoast DMC Roadtrip Representitive
Eurofest 2016 Roadtrip member
2019 Hamburg Official Convoy Member

DeLorean Club
mec

VIN #: 4395
Spaxed

Postby Admin-bloke » Fri Apr 29, 2016 1:51 pm

Chuff.... that's some serious wallet depleting expenses there. ..
Admin-bloke, "The D Whisperer"
Pie n Pint Northerner....
Vin #4068 - y'official "Mighty Auto" test car for Admin-bloke tuning.

https://www.justgiving.com/campnibble

Forum Founder [means I just installed it........] and Tech Help
DeLorean Club

The Future's Bright....
The Future's
DeLorean Club
Admin-bloke

VIN #: 4068
Spaxed

Postby RobvdVeer » Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:12 pm

Admin-bloke wrote:
Daniel Shane wrote:Hi

My company have an office in Holborn and I have a mate that commutes in. It's about an hour and a half on a good day on the train each way. Costs is about 3k a year and trust me it's a tough commute. I travel in from Kent and on a bad day can take 3 hours each way!

Make sure it's job you like otherwise you will end up hating the travel. Also as its west end the cost of food and drinks is high pluse it's full of tourists making getting about and into places hard work

Dan

£3k for the pleasure of 3 hours commute each way? That's a day's work in itself.

I won't ever complain about the 20 minute drive into work ever again. ....

Chuff me.....

I had 'some issues' with my health, but i've actually found a job 5mins from here. 12min on a bike if i feel good and the weather's nice. :shock: massive difference with my previous job that had a 3h commute every day.
Rob van der Veer
RobvdVeer

VIN #: 0b111001101111
Spaxed

Postby Admin-bloke » Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:25 pm

Great news Rob :thumbsup:
Admin-bloke, "The D Whisperer"
Pie n Pint Northerner....
Vin #4068 - y'official "Mighty Auto" test car for Admin-bloke tuning.

https://www.justgiving.com/campnibble

Forum Founder [means I just installed it........] and Tech Help
DeLorean Club

The Future's Bright....
The Future's
DeLorean Club
Admin-bloke

VIN #: 4068
Spaxed

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic