Drone Discussion - Split From Norfolk 9th July Weekend

For anything else not specifically DeLorean related....

Re: EuroTec Meet-up - Norfolk 9th July Weekend

Postby Daniel Shane » Fri Jul 16, 2021 2:05 pm

Hahahaha, I understand what your saying, just some people can get upset. I understand about the legal limits of the CAA and the limits of consumer drones and that drones can be flown close to isolated property. Just some people will always take offence.

Don't forget that now anything with a camera is covered by GDPR, If you take a video or photo of someone where they can expect privacy, such as inside their home or garden, you’re likely to be breaking data protection laws here in the UK.
Dan Shane
DCUK 008
Ex VIN 4754

The Black Stig
DeLorean Club

The Future's Bright....
The Future's
DeLorean Club
Daniel Shane

VIN #: Ex 4754

Postby DMC1983 » Fri Jul 16, 2021 2:26 pm

All i have to do is blur their faces really. Theres a lot of rules and regs surrounding drones and photography but also slightly different rules if youre doing it as a hobby or getting paid. If your youtube account is monetised then technically your getting paid careless of your content so consent would be needed otherwise blurring.

There was a guy recently who got fined £5k but he was flying his drone over MI6. Pretty much all of london is a no drone fly zone (its all in red on the drone apps) so to fly over a high security area was just dumb. I believe now the police are being trained in dealing with drones and the operators but more so if drones are being flown dangerously and in high security areas (it started when drones were used to traffic drugs into prisons). They also have the tech now to monitor the signal between operator and drone and find out exactly where i am positioned. Its crazy really. But even if the crazies called the police, i would have been ok discussing with the police and i would have just been asked to move on. I dont think many people know about being licensed and taking a test of the dos and donts. Obviously people can choose not to do that but frankly i felt that if i were to deal with the police at any time, i have the license etc to act in my favour. Its shows to them that actually i am a sensible drone operator and that the people i encountered, foaming at the mouth are likely lying about what they claimed i did simply because they are angry and would say pretty much anything to get me into trouble. It also would help my case being calm and co operating with the police too so that alone would go in my favour.

Personally, as long as i fly safe and dont fly in zones i shouldnt then i should be fine and told to just pack up and move on each time. I doubt the police would know every bit of the drone code and the CAA put out not to mention everything layed out with the A2CoC also.
DeLoryan
VIN 5219 - Oct 81
Grey Interior, Manual
Grooved Hood
Reg:  FNP 478W (Finding Numerous Problems)
Travelling And Recreation Developed In Style
Member of the Beverley Hills Car Club Club
DMC1983

VIN #: 5219
Spaxed

Postby eric » Sun Jul 18, 2021 3:05 pm

Daniel Shane wrote:Don't forget that now anything with a camera is covered by GDPR, If you take a video or photo of someone where they can expect privacy, such as inside their home or garden, you’re likely to be breaking data protection laws here in the UK.

Ahh good old GDPR :) the thing is a public place is a public place and there should be no expectation of privacy of what can be seen from such places.

There is an excellent set of videos on "you tube" of a chap with a camera with a lens the size of a shoe box who sits outside GCHG/NUCLEAR/GOVERNMENT/POLICE etc places. Each time they come out in force and shift him on and each time he says..... "its a public place I am well within my right" and he is correct and they always end up backing down.

9 times out of ten the police are incorrect and say "you cant take pictures of me or the station"

You can sit with a camera with a zoom lens outside anywhere as long as its in a public area.

FAST FORWARD to 4 MINS...

Of course this all falls down if it comes down as suspected of something else in which case they will have you but if you are generally taking pics of "the area" its all fine.

There is only one thing in life worse than not owning a DeLorean.
Owning one which is not running...
eric

VIN #: 7161
Spaxed

Re: Drone Discussion - Split From Norfolk 9th July Weekend

Postby DMC1983 » Sun Jul 18, 2021 7:56 pm

This is the thing. Youre supposedly not allowed to film the police but they are always filming you. Strange how that works. Also, the police go on the hopes that you dont actually know your rights and when you show you do, they start to back down. Of course a courteous, humble approach goes further than if you tell them to F off cos you know your rights.

As for drones, i was on public land and the drone was sent up from public land. People do not own the air above their house so im legally allowed to fly over houses within a certain distance. Obviously, flying around their house and peeking into windows for example is a privacy concern and against the drone code unless you have the home owners permission, otherwise theres not much they can do except ask you not to and its up to the operator to comply or not (i would just to avoid further conflict as i think most operators would).

Thing is, there are many dos and donts, some of it contradicts itself but what i was doing should not have illicited the reaction i got. From a legal and lawful POV i did nothing wrong. From any POV i did nothing wrong as i was not filming them (why would anyone want to?) And its their choice to ignore me when i was willing to show them all that i had filmed and rather just have a meltdown and start filming me like a child tit for tat mentality.

All i can say to anyone who is thinking about buying a drone or flying one for fun, get the operators license, pass the theory, fly sensibly and when dicks act like this, stay calm, try to reason with them, pack up and leave. If the police get involved, stand your ground and tell them youve done the course and want to do everything legally and sensibly and you tried to explain what you were doing to the angry babies. The police will likely take your side and tell you to be on your way.
DeLoryan
VIN 5219 - Oct 81
Grey Interior, Manual
Grooved Hood
Reg:  FNP 478W (Finding Numerous Problems)
Travelling And Recreation Developed In Style
Member of the Beverley Hills Car Club Club
DMC1983

VIN #: 5219
Spaxed

Previous

Return to Off Topic