Badger-tec!

Planned Meet ups, events, car shows, tech meets etc

Badger-tec!

Postby carl hammond » Mon May 09, 2011 1:16 am

Yes, you read that right!

Although there won't be any badgers involved (well apart from the bits that I have to pick off my car!!) :sick:

On the way home tonight one ran out right in front of me and with no time to brake or swerve, the car took the impact! Hit the front offside and then over the rear wheel! :shock:

Fortunately, it happened 5 mins from home, so I was able to pull into town and take a quick look at the damage...

Immediately noticed a few drops of water coming from what looked like the rad or perhaps a hose? So, guessing that took the brunt of the impact! However, the worst was 5 mins later as I pulled into my garage, there was an almighty loud whirring sound coming from the front of the car!! I am guessing this was the fans (although I didn't recall the temp being hot enough for them to come on?!) and it sounded like they were rubbing against the rad or something?!

To be honest I can't assess the full impact of the damage yet until at least the morning and even then I am not sure what else I am looking for elsewhere that might have been hit in the impact?!

I know it's not ideal, but I could really do with some help here guys. :(
Carlos
#VIN11777 - Middle East. ;)

Dubai Rep
DeLorean Club

DeLorean Club - "Friends with benefits"
carl hammond

VIN #: 11777
Spaxed

Re: Badger-tec!

Postby arranj » Mon May 09, 2011 1:33 am

lol at the title!

Could be a bit of badger stuck in the fans making the noise?

I think it would be pretty hard for the radiator itself to be stuck in the fans, and also pretty unlikely that a badger could damage the fan housing, so my guess would be *something else* in the fan - either a bit of badger, or a bit of car. I think pics in the morning are needed! :?
Arran | DCUK 004 | VIN #1764 | Official DeLorean Club World Headquarters, Norfolk, UK

Das Webmeister
DeLorean Club

arranj

VIN #: 1764
Spaxed

Postby bozzzydmc » Mon May 09, 2011 7:06 am

Gee that's bad luck buddy :(

Are you talking about the D ?

I was with someone years ago who hit a badger it was probably the first one I had seen, from the size of the damage I thought he had hit a bollard or something !
Bozzzy | DCUK 003 | Yorkshire, UK

DeLorean Club
bozzzydmc

Badger-tec!

Postby A Van » Mon May 09, 2011 7:34 am

Check coolant level see if you have lost some? If it's low then its leaked out of radiator or hose , very bad luck that would explain the fans cutting in, was the noise still there when stationary and ignition on?
Alistair V

Vin 11753 - B/Auto - Kuwait, painted black
Ex Vin 11766 - B/Auto - Dubai
Ex 11622, 6064

RIP Mike 'Bozzy' Bosworth 19/04/1969 - 31/12/2015

Official Spokesperson and Media Liaison Officer, and off road Buggy flipper
DeLorean Club

The Future's Bright....
The Future's
DeLorean Club
A Van

VIN #: 11753
Spaxed

Postby carl hammond » Mon May 09, 2011 10:27 am

bozzzy wrote: Are you talking about the D ?

I was with someone years ago who hit a badger it was probably the first one I had seen, from the size of the damage I thought he had hit a bollard or something !

Afraid so Mike! Jesus, can they really do that much damage?! In that case as far as body work is at least concerned, I have got off scott free!!

In fact, after a quick look this morning and a chat to Al just now, the damage doesn't appear to be as severe as first suspected.

I have lost some coolant, but not all of it. The bottle was half full yesterday when I left for Sheringham and when I checked this morning, it was well under a quarter but certainly not empty. As Al said, this could mean that it's only leaking when the engine is running. I'll test this theory by popping back at lunchtime and filling up the bottle again, then wait and see if there's any loss between then and later...

I'm also going to have a look at the fans later and see if there's any bits of... badger that need dislodging! :sick: Half expecting to pull an arm out, as I did notice claw marks on the top of the tub!! :shock:

Certainly feel a lot better this morning than I did last night as I think given the circumstances I have been very fortunate!

Pics to follow later...

Cheers!
Carlos

Dubai Rep
DeLorean Club

carl hammond

Spaxed

Postby bozzzydmc » Mon May 09, 2011 11:31 am

Is yours an origional radiator Carl with the plastic end tanks ?

You really need to have a good look round to see that when the car is cold /hot to make sure these arent fractured especially around the connections. if so these could blow at any time.

The noise can really only be the fans catching in my book, you can turn on the AC to make them come on, take a look to make sure they are both on and not catching the fan cowling or radiator ... mind your fingers thou :)

Hope its something simple old bean

Mike

PS: Have you seen my mummy ???...

Bozzzy | DCUK 003 | Yorkshire, UK

DeLorean Club
bozzzydmc

Postby arranj » Mon May 09, 2011 11:49 am

This thread couldn't be any more Norfolk! :lol:
Arran | DCUK 004 | VIN #1764 | Official DeLorean Club World Headquarters, Norfolk, UK

Das Webmeister
DeLorean Club

arranj

VIN #: 1764
Spaxed

Postby bandit » Mon May 09, 2011 1:36 pm

Never liked Badgers me, they are all Newcastle Utd fans you know!
bandit

VIN #: 7024
Spaxed

Postby carl hammond » Mon May 09, 2011 2:53 pm

bozzzy wrote:Is yours an original radiator Carl with the plastic end tanks?

PS: Have you seen my mummy ???...

LOL! Don't Mike! I felt bad enough as it is... mind you, if the little facker had put a dent in newly brushed stainless I probably would've gone back for the rest of the family! :twisted:

It's a second hand brass radiator on the car, so I'm guessing will be a lot stronger than the original?

Right, I popped home at lunchtime so I could get a good look at the damage... No more leaking, so I've topped her up to the first mark on the bottle and will check later to see if she's lost anymore. Tried to move the fans to little avail. Could only get each of them to half-turn before they get wedged. My initial feeling is that nothing is blocking them, as they both do the same thing. This leads me to think the housing has been dislodged in the impact... Also looks like there is some damage to the rad, it's difficult to tell as it's a second hand one anyway.

Maybe the following pics might help to shed some further light... :?

Carlos

Dubai Rep
DeLorean Club

carl hammond

Spaxed

Postby delorean12uk » Mon May 09, 2011 3:13 pm

arranj wrote:lol at the title!

Could be a bit of badger stuck in the fans making the noise?

I think it would be pretty hard for the radiator itself to be stuck in the fans, and also pretty unlikely that a badger could damage the fan housing, so my guess would be *something else* in the fan - either a bit of badger, or a bit of car. I think pics in the morning are needed! :?

judging by the pictures, the front bumper which is fairly plyable has been forced back which has hit the rad which isn't so flexable
Vin: Friday afternoon car, because the bastard thing likes to break all the time

Daily Maintenance a Certainty

Delorean Enthusiasts Love Official Reunions Especially At Norfolk

DeLorean Club

The Future's Bright....
The Future's
DeLorean Club
delorean12uk

VIN #: 4989

Next

Return to Events and Meet Ups