HUGE store of parts here NOW in the UK for next day delivery

Post your DeLorean Parts for sale here - all welcome!

Re: HUGE store of parts here NOW in the UK for next day deli

Postby jamesrguk » Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:07 am

I have these on my car and I am very pleased with my brake berformance. However I would say that the main things which you should do in order of importance.

1) Check calipers are not seized, replace seals and clean pistons.

2) Full brake system flush with new fluid, very easy with a gunson power bleeder.

3) New pads

4) New brake lines

5) Vented discs
jamesrguk

VIN #: 5462
Spaxed

Postby drdelorean » Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:59 am

Excellent! Thank you for the check list. On my last drive the brakes overheated, and started to feel way more spongee, and started to squeak more then normal.

I have also been looking at this kit right here:

http://www.delorean.co.uk/delorean_performance.html

It's a bit more pricy then ED's kit. Does anyone have any experience with this brake kit, or the guy selling it for that matter?

Cheers :D
Proud owner of VIN 10625 Grey 1982, Stage 2 upgrade, eibach suspension, 3200 miles
drdelorean

VIN #: 10625

Postby jamesrguk » Tue Sep 13, 2016 2:55 pm

drdelorean wrote:Excellent! Thank you for the check list. On my last drive the brakes overheated, and started to feel way more spongee, and started to squeak more then normal.

I have also been looking at this kit right here:

http://www.delorean.co.uk/delorean_performance.html

It's a bit more pricy then ED's kit. Does anyone have any experience with this brake kit, or the guy selling it for that matter?

Cheers :D

I had a brake fade issue when doing my daily commute which involved a few heavy repeated braking sessions. That has now gone, maybe due to vented disks or simply because I changed the fluid and pads at the same time, either way the vented discs can't make it any worse.

Regards Martin's brakes,

I've never seen that setup in the flesh but I know Chris Hawes has them on his car. I don't now how active he is on the forums these days.

Stock brakes **when well maintained*** can be really quite good. I would say Martin's set up is a little over kill with stock engine.

J

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
jamesrguk

VIN #: 5462
Spaxed

Postby drdelorean » Tue Sep 13, 2016 4:11 pm

Alright good to know, would be fun to hear from Martin in regards to his setup. I agree it looks a bit overkill even though I have a Stage ll upgrade.

Looks like I will go for ED's kit, with braided brake lines :)
Proud owner of VIN 10625 Grey 1982, Stage 2 upgrade, eibach suspension, 3200 miles
drdelorean

Postby MikeWard » Tue Sep 13, 2016 4:57 pm

Stock brakes with working calipers, decent discs and pads is more than sufficient.
DeLorean Club

The Future's Bright....
The Future's
DeLorean Club
MikeWard

VIN #: 04708

Postby Chris Hawes » Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:50 pm

MikeWard wrote:Stock brakes with working calipers, decent discs and pads is more than sufficient.

Mike's spot on in that for general driving a properly serviced/maintained stock system is sufficient. I live in MK and with the high 'legal' speeds you can get up to between roundabouts means that even a nicely setup stock system starts to struggle. I've had my 4 pot upgraded system on my car since early 2010 and it has braked over nearly 40000 miles. I drive my car hard some of the time and with the miles I've done and will do can justify the outlay as I use the upgrade in a way that the stock system couldn't manage.
Regards,

Chris Hawes
Ex-owner of VIN 5255 Grey, 5-speed
Chris Hawes

VIN #: Ex owner of 5255

Postby drdelorean » Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:31 am

Interesting, what kind of upgrade did you do?

For just my driving around and cousin in the neighbourhood the stock setup works fine. But a few times a year we go on a Mountain Rally weekend driving up and down amazing "spaghetti" roads, the brakes overheat, start to squeal and start feeling very spongee and start loosing power..
drdelorean

Postby MikeWard » Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:59 pm

drdelorean wrote:Interesting, what kind of upgrade did you do?

For just my driving around and cousin in the neighbourhood the stock setup works fine. But a few times a year we go on a Mountain Rally weekend driving up and down amazing "spaghetti" roads, the brakes overheat, start to squeal and start feeling very spongee and start loosing power..

While I am running the stock brake setup, I do have up-rated pads, I have EBC Yellow Stuff pads which work really well. These are the part numbers for the YellowStuff pads;
Front - DP4291R
Rear - DP4101R

https://ebcbrakesdirect.com/automotive/ ... 1983/51418
DeLorean Club

The Future's Bright....
The Future's
DeLorean Club
MikeWard

Postby drdelorean » Wed Sep 14, 2016 1:03 pm

Ahh thanks you, I will definitely grab a set, someone also recommended the redstuff pads, any idea on the difference from yellowstuff pads to redstuff pads?
drdelorean

Postby MikeWard » Wed Sep 14, 2016 1:05 pm

drdelorean wrote:Ahh thanks you, I will definitely grab a set, someone also recommended the redstuff pads, any idea on the difference from yellowstuff pads to redstuff pads?

The restuff pads require warming up in order to get full effectiveness from them. The YellowStuff pads work just as well as redstuff when hot, and crucially provide good stopping power from cold.

I was tied on the two as well. I went with jwrayth recommendation after discussing with him. He spoke with EBS at length regarding the greenstuff vs redstuff vs yellowstuff - the outcome was that the yellowstuff pads are best suited to our application.
DeLorean Club

The Future's Bright....
The Future's
DeLorean Club
MikeWard

PreviousNext

Return to DeLorean Parts for Sale