Legend (?) Engine For sale

Post your DeLorean Parts for sale here - all welcome!

Postby Dangermouse » Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:14 pm

Is this PJ Grady selling the ex-D-1 Legend "Prototype" engine?

http://london.craigslist.co.uk/pts/2631822424.html

DELOREAN ORIGINAL TWIN-TURBO PROTOTYPE ENGINE £2960 (Ilford)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

by Legend Industries

"THE FASTEST DELOREAN AUTOMOBILE ENGINE IN THE WORLD"

original twin-turbo engine, transmission and rolling display stand that was featured with the car when it was introduced at the

National Automobile Dealers Association meeting in Los Angeles, California, January 1980.

John DeLorean asked Legend Industries of Hauppauge, New York,who had an excellent reputation for their turbo-charging systems,

to help develop the turbo version of his car.

DeLorean's requirements were: added horsepower, fuel efficiency and a wide power band.

This engine features the original I.H.I. Ishikawajimi-Harima Heavy Industries RHB52 TURBOS.

The engine, including its rolling display carrier, was purchased in 1983 by Ed Bernstein, the owner of DeLorean One

located in Chatsworth, California, after the closing of the DeLorean automobile manufacturing plant in Northern Ireland.

The engine remained on display in the reception area of DeLorean One for many years until it was removed and installed into Ed's DeLorean automobile. Ed's DeLorean automobile had an automatic transmission. Therefore, the manual transmission mounted on the display stand, behind the engine has never been remove or installed in a car.

Several modifications had to be performed on the display engine to permit it to perform in a similar manner to its original design specifications:

When modified, the engine accelerated from 0 to 60mph in 5.6 seconds and was driven at highway speeds in excess of 146mph

After a period of about 3 months, the engine was removed from Ed's DeLorean and replaced on its original, rolling display stand.
Dermot
vin 2743
Ex-Dunmurry-ite,
but now nr. Atlanta GA
US o'A

Vin 2743 – Black, Auto, non-lowered, non-Spaxed, non-carbed, non-turbo’d, non-de-catted, just as Neal drove it on the boat in August ‘81
Dangermouse

VIN #: 2743

Re: Legend (?) Engine For sale

Postby jerzybondov » Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:29 pm

I didn't know they had an original Legend engine? In fact I thought the only Legend engines were still in the car(s)?
VIN 7176
Official Club Reaper Extraordinaire.
jerzybondov

VIN #: 7176
Spaxed

Postby tourettes tony » Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:37 pm

i think that is missing the internals but i could be wrong :shock:
vin# freedom :)
X factor winner 2009
Yorkshire squirt winner 2009
Officially no more engine rebuilds well maybe 2 more :)

If you need any Tech help, don't ask
Club Cultural Ambassador and Official Tourettes Tutor
DeLorean Club

The Future's Bright....
The Future's
DeLorean Club
tourettes tony

VIN #: 30035

Postby RobvdVeer » Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:39 pm

I'm just glad its states 'original', instead of some word closely related to it and backed up by paperwork.
Rob van der Veer
RobvdVeer

VIN #: 0b111001101111
Spaxed

CAUTION! Legend (?) Engine For sale

Postby Kajcienski » Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:28 am

Hello! Just wanted to give a BIG warning to everyone that this is a scam that was pulled a year or two back as well. The engine posted in the Craigslist ad (that came from DeLorean One's old showroom as pictured) was bought by Rob Grady a few years back. I just saw Rob today and the engine is crated away safely in his Long Island shop. Now the good news, Rob did actually mention to me that he is thinking of selling it. If anyone is interested, they should contact him directly. It is a shame that scams involving DeLoreans pop up once in a while, but luckily someone usually spots it!
Kajcienski

VIN #: 16793

Postby bozzzydmc » Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:09 am

Thanks for the heads up !

Oh .. and welcome
Bozzzy | DCUK 003 | Yorkshire, UK

DeLorean Club
bozzzydmc

Postby Dangermouse » Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:03 pm

As a follow-up, it looks like Josh from DPI is working to buy the actual unit from Rob Grady, so it may be changing hands after all.
Dermot
vin 2743
Ex-Dunmurry-ite,
but now nr. Atlanta GA
US o'A

Vin 2743 – Black, Auto, non-lowered, non-Spaxed, non-carbed, non-turbo’d, non-de-catted, just as Neal drove it on the boat in August ‘81
Dangermouse

VIN #: 2743

Postby A Van » Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:36 pm

Strange as there was someone advertising DeLorean parts years ago in Ilford, turned out to be a scam
Alistair V

Vin 11753 - B/Auto - Kuwait, painted black
Ex Vin 11766 - B/Auto - Dubai
Ex 11622, 6064

RIP Mike 'Bozzy' Bosworth 19/04/1969 - 31/12/2015

Official Spokesperson and Media Liaison Officer, and off road Buggy flipper
DeLorean Club

The Future's Bright....
The Future's
DeLorean Club
A Van

VIN #: 11753