DeClock dashboard clock replacement

Post your DeLorean Parts for sale here - all welcome!

Re: DeClock dashboard clock replacement

Postby RobvdVeer » Mon Nov 03, 2014 4:43 pm

jwrayth wrote:Received mine today, and intend to fit it before the end of the week :)

Thanks for letting me know it arrived safely! Do you like what you saw so far?
Rob van der Veer
RobvdVeer

VIN #: 0b111001101111
Spaxed

Postby jwrayth » Mon Nov 03, 2014 6:29 pm

Certainly do! Very professionally packed, detailed instructions and all the components arrived both safe and packed neatly. I read through the instructions over lunch and think I'll have time to install the clock and test it Wednesday night :)
jwrayth

VIN #: 4494
Spaxed

DeClock dashboard clock replacement

Postby A Van » Mon Nov 03, 2014 6:33 pm

Can we have a dclock demo and fitting session in eurotec in June rob?
Alistair V

Vin 11753 - B/Auto - Kuwait, painted black
Ex Vin 11766 - B/Auto - Dubai
Ex 11622, 6064

RIP Mike 'Bozzy' Bosworth 19/04/1969 - 31/12/2015

Official Spokesperson and Media Liaison Officer, and off road Buggy flipper
DeLorean Club

The Future's Bright....
The Future's
DeLorean Club
A Van

VIN #: 11753
Spaxed

Postby RobvdVeer » Mon Nov 03, 2014 6:36 pm

Absolutely. But i try to be able to do another batch much sooner than that!
Rob van der Veer
RobvdVeer

Spaxed

Postby jwrayth » Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:07 pm

Got started on my installation tonight... hit a few snags with the instructions. Removal step 11 references an image that isn't present. As such, I'm not sure on the best (e.g. least destructive) way to pull the pins out of the clock connector. On that note, a tool to pry out the pins isn't mentioned earlier in the "tools" section.

Got to say I'd prefer the clock to have come with it's own housing to simplify the installation. Even just as a optional element I would have chosen it, as I've now cracked my OEM lens taking the existing housing apart :( Also the tape to hold the rheostat knob to the new adjuster seems a bit flimsy :(

I'll have to leave it there tonight as I only grabbed the shifter plate and recommended tools when I swung by the garage, so can't proceed any further.
jwrayth

Spaxed

Postby RobvdVeer » Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:00 pm

I'm sorry about these issues. Thank you for letting me know! I will certainly improve on this if a next version is developed.

On the matter of the housing, I agree that it would make the installation much more a plug-and-play installation. It is far from ideal. But I had to make do with it as I was unable to find a good way to create my own housing .

I'm sorry about the damage done to you OEM lens. What kind of damage? How did it happen? When I started working on my clock, it simply fell off, as it did too when I installed the clock in the car of a Dutch acquaintance.

I have noticed that using the right amount of tape on the rotary encoder (about 2-3 inches) works far better than any adapter knob i could have come up with. I've attached a picture that should demonstrate the way I applied the tape. This will make sure that the dial sits properly.

encoder_tape.png
encoder_tape.png (1 MiB) Viewed 4129 times

I do hope you will be able to finish the installation without further issues. Please, do not hesitate to contact me directly via PM or Email with any issues or questions. I'm here to assist.
Rob van der Veer
RobvdVeer

Spaxed

Postby jwrayth » Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:27 am

The lens was stuck fast on my housing. at the edge where it clips on to the housing it would barely budge. I had to pry it gently on one side to ease the clips out, but even with the little amount of pressure it managed to crack along the retaining clip. Wouldn't be visible if the lens was re-installed, but would likely need glued to hold together if I wanted to go back to OEM. I was hoping to get away with no damage as my OEM clock currently works perfectly :(

I'll be swinging by my lock-up tonight to pick up an appropriate tool to wedge in and get the connector out :) I'm sure the tape on the dial works, but it doesn't feel up to the quality of the rest of the engineering you've put into the project to be honest!
jwrayth

Spaxed

Postby RobvdVeer » Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:32 am

"if it cannot be done the way it should be done, do it as is can be done" - Dutch proverb.

I've got the perfect glue to repair acryl plastics. if you email me a picture of the damaged lens, i'm sure we can work things out.
Rob van der Veer
RobvdVeer

Spaxed

Postby jwrayth » Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:59 pm

I appreciate the offered assistance, but don't sweat the lens Rob. I was the one who broke it, and I'll fix it up based on what I decide to do with my OEM Clock.

I more wanted you to know so you can weigh up the feasibility of making a full enclosure for possible future production runs. Hopefully I'm the only one to have issue with it, but if others do then potential future customers may be willing to pay a bit more to avoid damage to the OEM clock.
jwrayth

Spaxed

Postby RobvdVeer » Wed Nov 05, 2014 3:05 pm

Much appreciated, and thank you for sharing your suggestion. Let me know when you got the clock working! I am as excited as you are!
Rob van der Veer
RobvdVeer

Spaxed

PreviousNext

Return to DeLorean Parts for Sale