Automatic Transmission Filters

Post your DeLorean Parts for sale here - all welcome!

Re: Automatic Transmission Filters

Postby Dangermouse » Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:53 pm

delorean12uk wrote:
arranj wrote:Here is the thread in question Jason: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=2228

cheers Arran, it has been discussed before, as Al, Admin and myself posted on it!!!
getting back to this thread, unless your filter has a hole in it I wouldn't understand why you would want to replace it

reanult 4141.jpg

I ordered one from here, but a week later they returned my money, saying that it was unavailable :(

I since sourced 3 official Renault ones.
Dermot
vin 2743
Ex-Dunmurry-ite,
but now nr. Atlanta GA
US o'A

Vin 2743 – Black, Auto, non-lowered, non-Spaxed, non-carbed, non-turbo’d, non-de-catted, just as Neal drove it on the boat in August ‘81
Dangermouse

VIN #: 2743

Postby Dangermouse » Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:58 pm

delorean12uk wrote:
Horsebox wrote:Good point. How would it need to fail in order to trash the box though? Fall to bits and then the metal gets dragged through the gears?.

It's basically a fine wire gauze that trap any particulates that have accumulated in the oil over time. The transmission operates wet clutches, so if debris gets in between the plates it can hinder there performance, even damage it. I have a Renault 4141 automatic transmission service schedule somewhere from the Renault 25/30. I forget what the service interval is, but when you change the transmission fluid, you must drop the sump and unbolt the filter, and basically back flush it through with any spirit, white spirit, petrol etc etc. Then bolt back up. I have never heard of one failing, I did hear a bizarre story somewhere that the automatic Delorean owners were running them without filters in the U.S. and claimed it made them run better????
I have my suspicions of anything after market from any Delorean supplier at the moment because of the failure rate we have been having on all there after market stuff, none of it's tested !!!!

Perhaps it's documented in the link that AJ quoted, but the argument is that the filters plug with material reading to fluid starvation.

Houstons argument was that, as D's usually are relatively low mileage vehicles, the safer option is to remove the filter and just change the fluid every year. A minor amount of wear is preferable to a complete failure. (never heard that it made them run better, though)

As mentioned elsewhere, the filter is impossible to clean properly without disassembly.
Dermot
vin 2743
Ex-Dunmurry-ite,
but now nr. Atlanta GA
US o'A

Vin 2743 – Black, Auto, non-lowered, non-Spaxed, non-carbed, non-turbo’d, non-de-catted, just as Neal drove it on the boat in August ‘81
Dangermouse

VIN #: 2743

Postby delorean12uk » Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:12 pm

Dangermouse wrote:As mentioned elsewhere, the filter is impossible to clean properly without disassembly.

I don't agree with that, I've cleaned mine out just by back flushing it with spirit , all the particulates came out no problem, clean as a whistle afterwards. I think they were mean't to be re-usable, otherwise the manufacturers would have made them disposable like paper cartridge filters on modern vehicles today
Vin: Friday afternoon car, because the bastard thing likes to break all the time

Daily Maintenance a Certainty

Delorean Enthusiasts Love Official Reunions Especially At Norfolk

DeLorean Club

The Future's Bright....
The Future's
DeLorean Club
delorean12uk

VIN #: 4989

Postby Admin-bloke » Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:06 am

Dangermouse wrote:
delorean12uk wrote:
Horsebox wrote:Good point. How would it need to fail in order to trash the box though? Fall to bits and then the metal gets dragged through the gears?.

It's basically a fine wire gauze that trap any particulates that have accumulated in the oil over time. The transmission operates wet clutches, so if debris gets in between the plates it can hinder there performance, even damage it. I have a Renault 4141 automatic transmission service schedule somewhere from the Renault 25/30. I forget what the service interval is, but when you change the transmission fluid, you must drop the sump and unbolt the filter, and basically back flush it through with any spirit, white spirit, petrol etc etc. Then bolt back up. I have never heard of one failing, I did hear a bizarre story somewhere that the automatic Delorean owners were running them without filters in the U.S. and claimed it made them run better????
I have my suspicions of anything after market from any Delorean supplier at the moment because of the failure rate we have been having on all there after market stuff, none of it's tested !!!!

Perhaps it's documented in the link that AJ quoted, but the argument is that the filters plug with material reading to fluid starvation.

Houstons argument was that, as D's usually are relatively low mileage vehicles, the safer option is to remove the filter and just change the fluid every year. A minor amount of wear is preferable to a complete failure. (never heard that it made them run better, though)

As mentioned elsewhere, the filter is impossible to clean properly without disassembly.

Without quantitive data showing wear rates, I wouldn't believe their "hypothesis" on the belief that it's ok to use the auto transmission without a filter.

I think it's stupid to run the auto without the filter personally. I think the auto owners said they "run better" because after the removal of the filter and an oil change, that the right amount was put in afterwards hence the difference.

Keep it real Mighty Auto owners, keep that filter on and keep it clean. Respect. .
Admin-bloke, "The D Whisperer"
Pie n Pint Northerner....
Vin #4068 - y'official "Mighty Auto" test car for Admin-bloke tuning.

https://www.justgiving.com/campnibble

Forum Founder [means I just installed it........] and Tech Help
DeLorean Club

The Future's Bright....
The Future's
DeLorean Club
Admin-bloke

VIN #: 4068
Spaxed

Postby arranj » Fri Aug 07, 2015 7:13 pm

Just to confirm I have a big batch of these coming over. Will be listed in the shop in September.
Arran | DCUK 004 | VIN #1764 | Official DeLorean Club World Headquarters, Norfolk, UK

Das Webmeister
DeLorean Club

arranj

VIN #: 1764
Spaxed

Postby A Van » Fri Aug 07, 2015 9:45 pm

An excellent addition
Alistair V

Vin 11753 - B/Auto - Kuwait, painted black
Ex Vin 11766 - B/Auto - Dubai
Ex 11622, 6064

RIP Mike 'Bozzy' Bosworth 19/04/1969 - 31/12/2015

Official Spokesperson and Media Liaison Officer, and off road Buggy flipper
DeLorean Club

The Future's Bright....
The Future's
DeLorean Club
A Van

VIN #: 11753
Spaxed

Postby Admin-bloke » Fri Aug 07, 2015 9:55 pm

arranj wrote:Just to confirm I have a big batch of these coming over. Will be listed in the shop in September.

It's always appreciated when the mighty autos are supported ;)
Admin-bloke, "The D Whisperer"
Pie n Pint Northerner....
Vin #4068 - y'official "Mighty Auto" test car for Admin-bloke tuning.

https://www.justgiving.com/campnibble

Forum Founder [means I just installed it........] and Tech Help
DeLorean Club

The Future's Bright....
The Future's
DeLorean Club
Admin-bloke

VIN #: 4068
Spaxed

Postby arranj » Sat Aug 08, 2015 12:20 am

Listed up here for pre-ordering: http://www.deloreanclub.uk/automatic-tr ... ilter.html - if we get a rush on pre-orders I still have time to get some more over.
Arran | DCUK 004 | VIN #1764 | Official DeLorean Club World Headquarters, Norfolk, UK

Das Webmeister
DeLorean Club

arranj

Spaxed

Postby arranj » Fri Sep 18, 2015 3:14 pm

All now here in the country and in stock: http://www.deloreanclub.uk/automatic-tr ... ilter.html

All pre-orders have been sent today.

Das Webmeister
DeLorean Club

arranj

Spaxed

Previous

Return to DeLorean Parts for Sale