Vin #4454

Describe these cars here or do a restoration blog of your DeLorean

Re: Vin #4454

Postby Reinsch » Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:17 pm

Hello Restoration Nation!
It been a while since my last post. Now I have THE CAR.

For future reference, if you are considering using ShipMyCar.co.uk I would not recommend them. As far as it was all OK on beginning (they subcontract big shipper - CFR Rinkens). Once car arrived to UK to their warehouse, I had bad experience. There was no damage to car during transportation, but as a car was non runner and neglected, it required some protection for transport on trailer. I asked them to seal windows (they were stuck open) and doors with tape as all seals were falling apart. Also some parts were loose so I asked them to remove and put inside. I was assured by one of directors of the company that it will be done. I requested that in my e-mail as well when paying.
Nothing was done... plus guy who delivered car to my garage didn't secure it on trailer properly (strapped only by one wheel to trailer) and was in such rush to leave, he didn't even give me documents for it....

Luckily, car survived, but when you are buying your D after 15 years of saving... it is really making me angry as those people charge you premium money for their service and you getting nothing in exchange.
AVOID !!!

back to car... I stripped down the engine first to check why it is a non runner. Fuel Distributor piston was stuck and cooling system completely blocked. Lot of crap in water pump. Car still had stock air and oil filter.
It turns freely, but for me it requires total rebuild, so as planned I'm putting L7X (3.0 V6 24V 210HP from Laguna2). Stock engine will be refurbished and available for grabs on exchange basis.
I'm not pioneer in putting this engine as there is guy called Chris in Germany that is doing same thing for his customer. Looks promising. You can find photos here : https://photos.app.goo.gl/8ZfIHxE1QklG54S02

There will be some challenges, but hey, that is something I was looking for, for last 15 years!

Last weekend I manage to divorce body from frame. Frame looks really good, so it will be easy job. First I need to fabricate engine mounts and adapter for transmission. After that I will strip epoxy, hot zinc dip and powder coat/paint. I would appreciate any recommendations of companies and cost, I'm based in Banbury OX15.

Meanwhile, I will be removing engine from Laguna and designing necessary parts. Body is unfortunately outside due to storage space inside garage, but it is on nice wooden frame with wheels and secured from rain with brand new, high quality cover.

All photos can be found in my google album :

https://goo.gl/photos/MyUhSJogzmvQLfYR7

My thoughts so far... Strange feeling when all bolts on your car ale loose - frame bolts, seatbelt bolts, seat nuts, literally every single bolt is loose. Engine was torqued properly, but it came assembled from Renault...

I'm not sure of history of the car as even Delorean museum in TX didn't know it existed until I contacted them asking for history. I will send letter to person from title I received from US. Maybe somebody still lives there and know history of the car. It seems to be one owner only!

cheerios!
Marek "Reinsch"
Reinsch

VIN #: 4454

Postby Domi » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:43 pm

Good luck for the restoration on the car, you'll need it!
Anyway, you seems to have done a lot of job so far :)
Domi Vin#16951
Domi

VIN #: 16951
Spaxed

Postby cis6409 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:51 pm

Massive job but congrats on the purchase saw that car up for sale was wondering where it went..
Best of luck with it !

Shane
cis6409

VIN #: 6409

Postby Admin-bloke » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:46 pm

Good luck with the project, keep us updated :thumbsup:
Admin-bloke, "The D Whisperer"
Pie n Pint Northerner....
Vin #4068 - y'official "Mighty Auto" test car for Admin-bloke tuning.

https://www.justgiving.com/campnibble

Forum Founder [means I just installed it........] and Tech Help
DeLorean Club

The Future's Bright....
The Future's
DeLorean Club
Admin-bloke

VIN #: 4068
Spaxed

Postby Reinsch » Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:11 am

I thought I will give bump to my car restoration topic.
I'm over a year into restoration.
Frame was galvanized and now suspension is assembled on polibushes and Protech shocks. Currently finishing off brakes. Soon to start swapping engine.
A lot happened during those months. Trying to work on it everyday when I'm home.
Here is link to my photo gallery
https://goo.gl/photos/MyUhSJogzmvQLfYR7
There are over 2000 photos documenting my restoration. Good luck in viewing them all!
Reinsch

Postby jerzybondov » Sat Mar 09, 2019 3:32 pm

Good stuff Marek! How are you planning to handle the EFI on the new engine? What kind of fuel controller are you going to use?
VIN 7176
Official Club Reaper Extraordinaire.
jerzybondov

VIN #: 7176
Spaxed

Postby Reinsch » Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:13 pm

I'm trying to keep stock Bosch ECU. Engine has variable intake cams and handling that with aftermarket ECUs might be challenging. I'm currently in process of removing immobilizer and changing software to manual gearbox mode.

At this part of my ownership, I want to focus on customizing interior as I currently have none. In coming years I might come back to engine topic. I want to have it on the road by 2021.
Reinsch

Postby A Van » Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:50 am

Keep going Marek!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Alistair V

Vin 11753 - B/Auto - Kuwait, painted black
Ex Vin 11766 - B/Auto - Dubai
Ex 11622, 6064

RIP Mike 'Bozzy' Bosworth 19/04/1969 - 31/12/2015

Official Spokesperson and Media Liaison Officer, and off road Buggy flipper
DeLorean Club

The Future's Bright....
The Future's
DeLorean Club
A Van

VIN #: 11753
Spaxed

Postby BABIS » Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:37 pm

the work you are doing with the AC/heater box looks great!
BABIS

Previous

Return to Members Cars or Unique DeLoreans