VIN 4566 Restoration

Describe these cars here or do a restoration blog of your DeLorean

Re: VIN 4566 Restoration

Postby Dan Willis » Tue Mar 29, 2022 12:38 pm

Hello all, here is a little update as it has been a while...

I've held off on registration because the DVLA are being unhelpful. Despite the car's age, they insist I pay a year's road tax because the rule for mine isn't true until 1st April, so on Friday I'm sending the docs (i.e. after the 1st, and who knows how long they'll take to do it).

In the meantime, there's still a laundry list of things to do on the car, not least running the engine in and getting it tuned (chicken/egg).

I had Covid last week so in order to keep out of my wife/daughter's way, I had a few hours to myself on the car (I wasn't ill, but I'm on a vaccine trial programme so they literally bled me dry for science!) and did a few jobs.

The battery died; despite being on a trickle charger, I think I bought it when I got the car so it's been nearly 8 years and it died a death. I had to roll the car out of the garage to get to the battery and the bloody seat wouldn't move. I had to remove the seat, and whilst it was out I oiled up the runners and got a nice smooth action. I put it back in...

ImageDeLorean works by Dan Willis, on Flickr

...and it still won't move. I guess I'll need to washer the bolts and raise it ever so slightly as it must be interfering with the carpet. I'll have to do that when I get a new battery as my back did not enjoy doing that :)

I put the new steering wheel on too:

I was missing a door strap, so two new ones:

I was missing this lense too, so I switched out the bulbs for LEDs and replaced this:

My luggage net was... ruined, so I replaced it. I may repair the old one; the elastic had turned to dust but the webbing itself is fine:

The plate mounting the rear bumper to the frame was missing (there were odds and sods from the partial engine disassembly missing over the years), so this tightening things up a bit:

And lastly I removed the lights. I have new boards and LEDs and my existing boards are a bit rusty and the lights don't all work very well. I have a fog light kit and reverse-sensor kit to go in so I had to stop here as that is going to be a lot of work:

I also removed the door sill trim (from the doors) as mine was brittle and solid. I have new rubber to fit but it'll need cutting up; so again, another job for another day. I have a new gear knob and a piece of missing trim from the frunk to fit too, but it requires bonding, so... yeah, time.

Whilst doing the work I realised I have no rear view mirror (it never did) and the airbox to pontoon hose is missing, so they're now on order. Once the battery arrives I'll be fitting a cut-off switch and cabled-in trickle charger to keep things neat.

Hopefully between that lot and a set of number plates I'm not far off getting her out for a run!
Dan
VIN 4566
Ex VINs 5284, 5641
Dan Willis

VIN #: 4566

Postby cis6409 » Tue Mar 29, 2022 3:13 pm

Great to see the updates, it's coming along very nicely!
cis6409

VIN #: 6409

Postby Dan Willis » Sun Nov 20, 2022 4:22 pm

Ohhhkay, so somehow the year just disappeared. Hmm, that's disappointing.

In any case, as of yesterday afternoon... then not for a bit, and now again (for a bit?) I have a driveable DeLorean. The last few months have been trying to get my rear lights working correctly. I bought new boards and LEDs and the fog light kit (and some parking sensors, since.. why not?) and proceeded to fit it all. Then, well, it all went wrong. For a while I had double fogs and no brakes, then neither, then.. well, you get the picture. Then when it DID all work, the lights wouldn't go back on as the screw clips were worn out, so I've had to replace them all.

THEN, well, the clutch reseviour popped and dropped all the fluid. And I've noticed a gearbox and engine oil leaks (luckily they both look like from the drain plugs, so they're being replaced soon).

So yesterday, it was all working (and as of today, the rear lights BOTH work since one stopped.. but you know, old car). I even drove it up the end of the road - all 100m maybe - and back.

Shame the weather sucks!

ImageDeLorean lights by Dan Willis, on Flickr
Dan
VIN 4566
Ex VINs 5284, 5641
Dan Willis

Postby A Van » Tue Jan 03, 2023 9:53 pm

Well Dan

I suppose that’s good progress even it seems too steps back!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Alistair V

Vin 11753 - B/Auto - Kuwait, painted black
Ex Vin 11766 - B/Auto - Dubai
Ex 11622, 6064

RIP Mike 'Bozzy' Bosworth 19/04/1969 - 31/12/2015

Official Spokesperson and Media Liaison Officer, and off road Buggy flipper
DeLorean Club

The Future's Bright....
The Future's
DeLorean Club
A Van

VIN #: 11753
Spaxed

Postby Dan Willis » Wed Jan 04, 2023 12:33 pm

Yep; no news at the moment - the weather and other stuff (like the small person being home over Crimbo) means my last attempt at bleeding the clutch hasn't happened yet. It'll probably need another master.
Dan
VIN 4566
Ex VINs 5284, 5641
Dan Willis

Postby Dan Willis » Thu Apr 20, 2023 10:59 am

Quick one!

Plenty done recently:
1. Some more fettling of the rear lights
2. A new dashboard PCB as mine had split and I was getting intermittant lights (and in some cases, none at all)
3. The speedo has been rebuilt after a spring broke. It would count miles but there was no speed reading.
4. GPS speedo conversion
5. A clean!
6. Finally, wheel alignment. I can now actually drive the thing!

ImageOff for tracking by Dan Willis, on Flickr
ImageAll tracked by Dan Willis, on Flickr

Next steps are, really... really... exciting stuff. Taking her to the petrol station for the first time, and running the engine in a smidge before an oil change. Then, basically, confidence building. 8, nearly 9 years of work.. so I'm not rushing in to a cross-country drive just yet ;)
Dan
VIN 4566
Ex VINs 5284, 5641
Dan Willis

Postby cis6409 » Thu Apr 20, 2023 3:06 pm

Great to see it out and about a dam nice feeling well done!

Was the alignment front and rear out by much?

Shane
cis6409

VIN #: 6409

Postby Dan Willis » Thu Apr 20, 2023 3:12 pm

cis6409 wrote:Great to see it out and about a dam nice feeling well done!

Was the alignment front and rear out by much?

Shane

The rear was bob-on; it's not adjustable anyway! The rest of the car was hand built, so the front was me doing it by eye; it wasn't far out in reality but enough to feel "off".
Dan
VIN 4566
Ex VINs 5284, 5641
Dan Willis

Postby andyd » Sat Apr 22, 2023 6:47 pm

Well done! Nice feeling!

Rear adjustable with the shims? But if none needed then all the better, looks nice,

a
andyd

VIN #: 814

Previous

Return to Members Cars or Unique DeLoreans