Project 3193

Describe these cars here or do a restoration blog of your DeLorean

Re: Project 3193

Postby InoX » Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:39 pm

thanks chaps. you're all being polite, but i get the impression you think I'm a fuggin nutter for taking it on. anyway...back to the grind...

The car was parked on the guy's drive for seven years. It last 'ran' in 2001. a start was attempted in 2003, but failed. it was parked there until July 2008 when I had it picked up.

The guy's house is located in Boynton Beach Florida. His house is about 70yds away from the sea, which I think I'm guessing is the reason behind the corrosion. I don't *think* Katrina went that far across (east coast Florida), but i could be wrong. I think it's just weather. I don't think it was in a river or elsewhere no evidence it was flooded for an extended period of time, but as you can see when it arrived at my house, it had two inches of water in the battery box and passenger footwell. I'm assuming that this came from the illfitting door open window and the hold in the fibreglass roof section, but i could be wrong.

Just got more parts in today from Ed. Headlight bins and brackets and H1 inners plus the windshield grill thing I've been trying to get hold of for ages, that sits between the glass and the hood. Unfortunatly the grille was broken and in two pieces, so I'm delayed again while i sort that out. I'll probably strip the pedal box, the bins and brackets just received, windscreen trim parts and door glass trim parts and get them powder coated while i wait.
InoX

Postby tourettes tony » Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:07 pm

Mine was a shed when i got mine, and i brought it blind, i do have to admit i admire your resolve on taking this on. And by the looks of what you have done so far, i reckon its going to be a decent car in the end :D TT
vin# freedom :)
X factor winner 2009
Yorkshire squirt winner 2009
Officially no more engine rebuilds well maybe 2 more :)

If you need any Tech help, don't ask
Club Cultural Ambassador and Official Tourettes Tutor
DeLorean Club

The Future's Bright....
The Future's
DeLorean Club
tourettes tony

VIN #: 30035

Postby InoX » Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:24 pm

alright, dudes. :)

What a sure fire way of un seizing caliper pistons? I don't have an air line to utilise... :(

I've googled and people are talking about using a grease gun?

the calipers are apart already (will have to reassemble if I'm to use a line/grease gun...)

I've sprayed with light oil to see if that'll do anything overnight, but not holding out much hope..

Anyone in the UK sell REAR re-build kits? :)
InoX

Postby arranj » Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:31 pm

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=651

The rear calipers are Jag Limo / Aston Martin
Arran | DCUK 004 | VIN #1764 | Official DeLorean Club World Headquarters, Norfolk, UK

Das Webmeister
DeLorean Club

arranj

VIN #: 1764
Spaxed

Postby A Van » Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:15 am

http://www.psautoparts.co.uk/

Ring these guys, send them down the calipers..and they send them back like new...and from what I remember wasnt much more than a rebuild kit!
Alistair V

Vin 11753 - B/Auto - Kuwait, painted black
Ex Vin 11766 - B/Auto - Dubai
Ex 11622, 6064

RIP Mike 'Bozzy' Bosworth 19/04/1969 - 31/12/2015

Official Spokesperson and Media Liaison Officer, and off road Buggy flipper
DeLorean Club

The Future's Bright....
The Future's
DeLorean Club
A Van

VIN #: 11753
Spaxed

Postby InoX » Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:06 pm

all the pistons are now out. all are pitted/rusted at the top 6-7mm...new ones all around, looks like.

for into i used a combination of two flat headed drivers and a grease gun to remove the pistons. my knuckles are red raw...

Dave.
InoX

Postby Phil349 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:46 pm

Really impressed with the work on this, its a lot to take on! Its coming along now though. Do you live in Bolton? If so im close by as are a few other delorean owners.
Phil349

VIN #: 1128

Postby Dangermouse » Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:06 pm

InoX wrote:thanks chaps. you're all being polite, but i get the impression you think I'm a fuggin nutter for taking it on. anyway...back to the grind...

The car was parked on the guy's drive for seven years. It last 'ran' in 2001. a start was attempted in 2003, but failed. it was parked there until July 2008 when I had it picked up.

The guy's house is located in Boynton Beach Florida. His house is about 70yds away from the sea, which I think I'm guessing is the reason behind the corrosion. I don't *think* Katrina went that far across (east coast Florida), but i could be wrong. I think it's just weather. I don't think it was in a river or elsewhere no evidence it was flooded for an extended period of time, but as you can see when it arrived at my house, it had two inches of water in the battery box and passenger footwell. I'm assuming that this came from the illfitting door open window and the hold in the fibreglass roof section, but i could be wrong.

Major resurrection there Dave. Very impressive.

A little insight -Florida costline gets hit with a couple of hurricanes every season, maybe not as big as Katrina, as well as several tropical storms.

I looked at moving to Tampa a few years ago, and when I was down house hunting I asked the realtor (aka estate agent) why there were no brick houses, just "stucco" (a hard concrete mix) on the outer wall. She told me that when it really rains down there, during a storm, the wind will drive the rain through the brick and you will get mould between the brick and the inside wall of the house (drywall etc). So if it can penetrate brick, it may just be able to find its way through those fine panel gaps our cars have.

:shock:
Dermot
vin 2743
Ex-Dunmurry-ite,
but now nr. Atlanta GA
US o'A

Vin 2743 – Black, Auto, non-lowered, non-Spaxed, non-carbed, non-turbo’d, non-de-catted, just as Neal drove it on the boat in August ‘81
Dangermouse

VIN #: 2743

Postby KMC-DMC » Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:31 pm

Wow - this is an amazing restoration log. Well done!
Kevin
KMC-DMC
Ex owner of VIN 2969
London
KMC-DMC

VIN #: Ex 2969
Spaxed

Postby InoX » Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:38 pm

windscreen surrounds, door glass surrounds and pedal box are off at the powder coaters. The brake calipers are at the blasters.

Tomorrow hopefully i should be able to re-fit the hood seal and / or backing plate inside the hood where the hinge attaches. Got the plates re-made out of 4mm stainless. will post pics as soon as I'm able.

cheers for the support guys! payday next week.

Dave.
InoX

PreviousNext

Return to Members Cars or Unique DeLoreans