VIN# 3662 Twin Turbo Black Manual Holland

Describe these cars here or do a restoration blog of your DeLorean

Re: VIN# 3662 Twin Turbo Black Manual Holland

Postby jerzybondov » Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:03 pm

Slight thread deviation here, but speaking of twin turbo PRVs - I don't suppose anyone has any particular knowledge of this: http://www.geocities.com/motorcity/trac ... Turbo.html

Theoretically speaking, how difficult would it be (should you be able to find one) to take one of these engines and drop it into a D?

One other thought... over here we tend to Volvo-erise D engines to mod them, whereas in the States swapping the engine out for a 3.0l Eagle Premier PRV is often done due to that engine's availability.

Anyone ever heard of anyone who has, or thought about taking a 3.0 from a Safrane? 165bhp straight up before you even muck about with it... and wouldn't be that difficult to find one on autotrader or ebay (there's one on AT at the moment)...
VIN 7176
Official Club Reaper Extraordinaire.
jerzybondov

VIN #: 7176
Spaxed

Postby DeLorean Cars » Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:35 pm

jerzybondov wrote:Slight thread deviation here, but speaking of twin turbo PRVs - I don't suppose anyone has any particular knowledge of this: http://www.geocities.com/motorcity/trac ... Turbo.html

Yes. I have a brand new Saf BiTurbo engine sitting in the workshop waiting to be installed in a DeLorean. You will struggle to find donor cars though.

Theoretically speaking, how difficult would it be (should you be able to find one) to take one of these engines and drop it into a D?

Theoretically almost as easy as a 2.5. Upgrading the rest of the car so it'll take the power is the biggest problem. The 3 litre turbos were de-tuned to prevent them breaking the transmission in both the production cars they were fitted in. I had one in my Venturi 300 and my A610, and even on a stock map, they're violent. A DeLorean isn't designed for that kind of power/torque.

One other thought... over here we tend to Volvo-erise D engines to mod them, whereas in the States swapping the engine out for a 3.0l Eagle Premier PRV is often done due to that engine's availability.

No, we change B28F odd-fire stuff for B28E odd-fire stuff, and you can get donor parts just as easily (ie not) from early Renault 25's and late 30's. The Eagle premier engine is a poor-man's Renault Laguna/Safrane engine.

Anyone ever heard of anyone who has, or thought about taking a 3.0 from a Safrane? 165bhp straight up before you even muck about with it... and wouldn't be that difficult to find one on autotrader or ebay (there's one on AT at the moment)...

The problem isn't the engine, it's the engine management. That's where the £££ start to rack up... and all for the sort of power the original D engine can push with B28E parts.

The best bang-for-buck engine swap would be a GTA Atmo carb'd odd-fire on a free-flow zorst.
DeLorean Cars

VIN #: 4772, 3352

Postby jerzybondov » Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:21 pm

DeLorean Cars wrote:Yes. I have a brand new Saf BiTurbo engine sitting in the workshop waiting to be installed in a DeLorean. You will struggle to find donor cars though.

Theoretically almost as easy as a 2.5. Upgrading the rest of the car so it'll take the power is the biggest problem. The 3 litre turbos were de-tuned to prevent them breaking the transmission in both the production cars they were fitted in. I had one in my Venturi 300 and my A610, and even on a stock map, they're violent. A DeLorean isn't designed for that kind of power/torque.

Where did you find that engine? How long have you had it for? Quite a find!

The gearbox can take the power more or less can't it? It's the brakes and suspension that I'd have thought need the help (and perhaps your rear anti-roll bar might be useful here too).

The problem isn't the engine, it's the engine management. That's where the £££ start to rack up... and all for the sort of power the original D engine can push with B28E parts.

The best bang-for-buck engine swap would be a GTA Atmo carb'd odd-fire on a free-flow zorst.

Wouldn't that Ecotec Vauxhall engine that your mate is putting into a D have the same management issues, in addition to the physical mounting issues etc?

And to bring this deviation back on topic... how different is the Safrane Bi-turbo engine to the adapted DeLorean one in 3662?
VIN 7176
jerzybondov

Spaxed

Postby DeLorean Cars » Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:24 pm

jerzybondov wrote:
Where did you find that engine? How long have you had it for? Quite a find!

Since just before Chrismas. Bought brand new for a customer ;)

The gearbox can take the power more or less can't it?

The limit for them is around 300hp and 300ft-lbs. The 3 litre in standard Renault setup and a new ECU will push in excess of 360ft-lbs. It'll apparently push near 350hp with a decent zorst.

Wouldn't that Ecotec Vauxhall engine that your mate is putting into a D have the same management issues, in addition to the physical mounting issues etc?

Being GM, it uses the standard 36/1 trigger and it's therefore easy to rig up a trigger wheel and run the original ECU.

Chris has done his conversion by modifying parts of the car that most DeLorean owners wouldn't want to. The advantage of the PRV is always that it'll drop straight in.

And to bring this deviation back on topic... how different is the Safrane Bi-turbo engine to the adapted DeLorean one in 3662?

Different intake manifold required, larger injectors, better intercooling, taller right hand rocker cover with balance shaft (note position of alt), internally: larger valves, 73mm stroke, 93mm bore. The 2.5 is 63mm stroke, 91mm bore. Also completely different water pump setup and no water takeoffs at the rear of the cylinder heads.

Oh, and the clutch is over £500 retail.
DeLorean Cars

Postby Admin-bloke » Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:35 pm

For those that don't know:

"zorst" is slang for "exhaust" / "exhaust pipe"

"dizzy" - "distributor"

"boots" - "tyres"

"shocks" - "shock absorbers" [although technically the springs are the shock absorbers, the word should be "Dampers"

etc........
Admin-bloke, "The D Whisperer"
Pie n Pint Northerner....
Vin #4068 - y'official "Mighty Auto" test car for Admin-bloke tuning.

https://www.justgiving.com/campnibble

Forum Founder [means I just installed it........] and Tech Help
DeLorean Club

The Future's Bright....
The Future's
DeLorean Club
Admin-bloke

VIN #: 4068
Spaxed

Postby jerzybondov » Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:11 pm

What about atmo?

Is this a reference to atmospheric pressure, and something to do with boost or the lack of it?
VIN 7176
jerzybondov

Spaxed

Postby A Van » Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:13 pm

I had one in my Venturi 300 and my A610, and even on a stock map, they're violent. A DeLorean isn't designed for that kind of power/torque.

Gez,
Venturi = Mindblowingly quick with astonishing torque, I know as I drove it a few times.
If that engine was in DeLorean well....the first corner you tried to put sort of power in..then it would be over.
Alistair V

Vin 11753 - B/Auto - Kuwait, painted black
Ex Vin 11766 - B/Auto - Dubai
Ex 11622, 6064

RIP Mike 'Bozzy' Bosworth 19/04/1969 - 31/12/2015

Official Spokesperson and Media Liaison Officer, and off road Buggy flipper
DeLorean Club

The Future's Bright....
The Future's
DeLorean Club
A Van

VIN #: 11753
Spaxed

Postby bozzzydmc » Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:45 pm

DeLorean Cars wrote:
Admin-bloke wrote:I don't know why but this pic reminds me of Tony-TD:

Tony Turbo-Diesel?

LOL :).. not quite ...keep guessing... :)
Bozzzy | DCUK 003 | Yorkshire, UK

DeLorean Club
bozzzydmc

Postby DeLorean Cars » Wed Jul 08, 2009 5:35 pm

jerzybondov wrote:What about atmo?

Sorry - I'm very used to the RAOC forum!

Atmo is a French contraction of "atmospherique" and means naturally aspirated. It's a term that's been adopted by the UK Alpine crowd so you'll see reference to "GTA turbo" or "GTA atmo". While the turbo is a 2.5 even fire with EFI (the first of the "modern" PRV's), the Atmo is a 2.8 odd-fire just like the DeLorean, but higher compression, more agressive cams and twin solex carbs. They're very quick. Matt Clarke's car has a set of Atmo cams in his DeLorean - sounds fabulous and has a distinct power band above 4500.
DeLorean Cars

Postby jerzybondov » Wed Jul 08, 2009 5:48 pm

So all naturally aspirated GTAs were carbed or some people have removed the fuel injection system to carb them themselves?

My sister had a n/a 1988 GTA and I was pretty sure she had issues with the fuel injection on it...
VIN 7176
jerzybondov

Spaxed

PreviousNext

Return to Members Cars or Unique DeLoreans