VIN 12306 'Auryn' : RHD twin turbo rebuild

Describe these cars here or do a restoration blog of your DeLorean

VIN 12306 'Auryn' : RHD twin turbo rebuild

Postby Starglider » Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:35 pm

I've ordered a RHD conversion DeLorean, rebuilt with 'new old stock', reconditioned and some new parts, from P J Grady. I've modified the parts list a little to try and avoid some of the most common issues (e.g. melting fuse block and headlamp switch, underpowered alternator, noisy fuel pump, fuel tank overheat, low-current front fans, all bulbs replaced with LEDs etc). I've also added a few toys and cosmetic detail (remote door release / engine start, small side stripe, SS bumper letters etc). Needless to say owning one has been a long term personal ambition.

Also working on a couple of ideas for the car, but not sure if they're financially and technically feasible yet;
* Twin-turbo engine supplied by delorean.co.uk, reproducing the original Legend setup as much as possible (e.g. central throttle and V ducting), although Martin is insistent that the air-to-air intercoolers are horrible should be replaced by air-to-water charge coolers.
* Bracket for removable tow bar (wife is a SCUBA instructor, wants to use the car for day trips to south coast w/zodiac).

Build is expected to take about six months, will post updates when possible.
Starglider

VIN #: 12306

Re: VIN 12306 'Auryn' : RHD twin turbo rebuild

Postby arranj » Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:56 pm

Sounds very nice! There is someone on here with a tow bar - Willinot (Paul) from Northern Ireland.

I'm sure someone with personal experience of replacing one of Martin's turbo engines with a stock engine will be replying shortly.. I'm not aware of a turbo engine that Martin has worked on that actually runs, not that I'm suggesting there is a link. But I think you'd be forever tinkering.
Arran | DCUK 004 | VIN #1764 | Official DeLorean Club World Headquarters, Norfolk, UK

Das Webmeister
DeLorean Club

arranj

VIN #: 1764
Spaxed

Postby Starglider » Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:20 pm

arranj wrote:I'm not aware of a turbo engine that Martin has worked on that actually runs, not that I'm suggesting there is a link. But I think you'd be forever tinkering.

Well, I'd be interested to hear what the DPI guys suggest for a twin-turbo setup. I am reasonably good with electricals & programming but I wouldn't be able to fix/debug a bad turbo configuration myself.
Starglider

Postby Dangermouse » Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:32 pm

Looking forward to seeing this come to fruitition. Another RHD conversion.

I am a little confused. Are DPI involved in this as well as PJ Gardy (UK) and Martin?

And can you check the VIN again. I don't think 12306 is a valid number :?
Dermot
vin 2743
Ex-Dunmurry-ite,
but now nr. Atlanta GA
US o'A

Vin 2743 – Black, Auto, non-lowered, non-Spaxed, non-carbed, non-turbo’d, non-de-catted, just as Neal drove it on the boat in August ‘81
Dangermouse

VIN #: 2743

Postby Starglider » Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:50 pm

Dangermouse wrote:I am a little confused. Are DPI involved in this as well as PJ Gardy (UK) and Martin?

No, I'm just interested in what different people have done regarding twin-turbo setups. e.g. I saw another member on here (Nico) with a self-built twin-turbo using air-to-air intercoolers and a V-duct setup, which looked ideal (in terms of trying to reproduce the Legend setup without the teething problems it had). Tried to get hold of Willinot earlier, to see how he managed to safely mount his towing gear, but no response as yet.

And can you check the VIN again. I don't think 12306 is a valid number :?

Haven't actually seen the plate - number came from Chris N - but sounded reasonable to me since the original Wooler Hodec RHD cars were in the 121XX range.
Starglider

Postby Dangermouse » Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:48 pm

I think 12199 was the last number in the 12 thousands. Grady's are/were doing a RHD conversion on 10458 though.
Dermot
vin 2743
Ex-Dunmurry-ite,
but now nr. Atlanta GA
US o'A

Vin 2743 – Black, Auto, non-lowered, non-Spaxed, non-carbed, non-turbo’d, non-de-catted, just as Neal drove it on the boat in August ‘81
Dangermouse

VIN #: 2743

Postby tourettes tony » Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:49 pm

Don't do it mate if you don't understand the inner workings of a turbo set up.they are very complex and to run at peak performance all of the time requires a jap tech team from Toyota.
If you want to go down that route get a Renault 25 set up and throw the lot in that's the best way. And don't buy an engine off a certain vendor promising fantastic performance because it won't happen ( well it might for about a day).
Fantastic news getting a car off Chris I wish you all the best with it , his cars are proper minters and Chris is a really nice person to do business with TT
vin# freedom :)
X factor winner 2009
Yorkshire squirt winner 2009
Officially no more engine rebuilds well maybe 2 more :)

If you need any Tech help, don't ask
Club Cultural Ambassador and Official Tourettes Tutor
DeLorean Club

The Future's Bright....
The Future's
DeLorean Club
tourettes tony

VIN #: 30035

Postby Manxmann » Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:55 pm

arranj wrote:I'm sure someone with personal experience of replacing one of Martin's turbo engines with a stock engine will be replying shortly..

:)
The Manx 'D' - VIN 17152
Manxmann

VIN #: 17152
Spaxed

Postby A Van » Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:08 pm

Nice one, I have only seen one decent twin turbo in the last ten years, and that's Nico's
I would be very wary about splashing cash onto an engine which no one else has?
Alistair V

Vin 11753 - B/Auto - Kuwait, painted black
Ex Vin 11766 - B/Auto - Dubai
Ex 11622, 6064

RIP Mike 'Bozzy' Bosworth 19/04/1969 - 31/12/2015

Official Spokesperson and Media Liaison Officer, and off road Buggy flipper
DeLorean Club

The Future's Bright....
The Future's
DeLorean Club
A Van

VIN #: 11753