imported from tennesse, to norfolk.. restoration begins!

Describe these cars here or do a restoration blog of your DeLorean

imported from tennesse, to norfolk.. restoration begins!

Postby clocktown64dd » Sat Jan 03, 2015 2:04 pm

ive owned the car for about 3 months now, only the last 6 weeks has it been in my garage as I waited until my new house went through okay.
:text-imnewhere: :text-imnewhere:
over the last few days ive received a lot of advice from Alistair on this forum so id firstly like to thank him and nick who he also put me into a whatsapp chat with, so again, much appreciated!
Story behind this car is its been sat under someones carport, for 10 years +, as the owner died at 86years old :violin:
his wife then finally sold the car onto another gentleman locally, very friendly indeed, who owned stacks of cars. he was then about to move house and didn't have the time for the car, so I purchased it from him and it went from there. it came with a copy of the mans death certificate which was strange, cause of death, time, everything... so the car has been named Charles, after him...lol :violin:
so far ive replaced all gas struts, cleaned the tank, drained the fuel lines, replaced the fuel pump, replaced the HT leads, coil lead, the coil itself, rotor arm and distributor cap. car turns over very well with key, I made the mistake of taking the metering head apart and as I went to get her started the other day it was weeping fuel, I cried. :( Alistair advised me not to continue until that's fixed. carl from dereham lent me a new RPM relay, as my pump wasn't working unless I jumped the points. although this didn't solve it, ive just bought a new one so hopefully I had 2 faulty ones... maybe.
im no mechanic- cars are quite new to me and this is challenging so any help is appreciated. :thumbsup: im 24 and from Norfolk, my name is alex, car is 1981 auto. inertia has been bypassed. front end of chassis is rotten, rest seems okay. I plan on doing a frame off restoration, im a welder and fabricator so I can make new parts where possible.
thought id show my face! thanks!
your friend in time, alex :text-imnewhere:
clocktown64dd

Re: imported from tennesse, to norfolk.. restoration begins!

Postby Dan 6511 » Sat Jan 03, 2015 2:49 pm

Welcome to the forum. There are lots of us on here who can help out, we've all been there. Looking forward to seeing some pics of it.

Is it this car by any chance? http://www.deloreaneurotec.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=4194&p=55445#p55445
Sell it Or Sorn it

Road trips:
2008: Mervyn's Delorean Weekend, Ireland
2008: DMC Europe Open House
2009: DMC Europe Open House
2009: Royal Delorean Weekend, Ireland
2010: Silvercoast, France
2010: Shanefest, Ireland
2010: Luxemburg & Nurburgring
2011: Eurofest, Belfast
2019: International DeLorean Meeting, Hamburg
Dan 6511

Postby jerzybondov » Sat Jan 03, 2015 3:58 pm

Hi Alex, welcome! Sounds like quite a job you've taken on, here is the right place to find advice and assistance :D
VIN 7176
Official Club Reaper Extraordinaire.
jerzybondov

VIN #: 7176
Spaxed

Postby clocktown64dd » Sat Jan 03, 2015 5:46 pm

hi! thanks for the replies, friends are what I need! and no that's not mine, I put a cover over mine so it was not seen where I took it in case someone sole it, not that it starts.... even now lol! struggling to find a new metering head for mine, apparently theyre not available new :(
clocktown64dd

Postby Dan 6511 » Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:01 pm

Don't worry, no one is daft enough to steal one of these! I don't know of one in this country that has been stolen or even attempted?

Your metering head might be able to be refurbished. Give these chaps a call: http://www.kmipetrolinjection.co.uk/
Sell it Or Sorn it

Road trips:
2008: Mervyn's Delorean Weekend, Ireland
2008: DMC Europe Open House
2009: DMC Europe Open House
2009: Royal Delorean Weekend, Ireland
2010: Silvercoast, France
2010: Shanefest, Ireland
2010: Luxemburg & Nurburgring
2011: Eurofest, Belfast
2019: International DeLorean Meeting, Hamburg
Dan 6511

Postby mec » Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:16 pm

Welcome Alex, sounds like you've got a bit of work to do ! lol It will be a love hate relationship i guarantee ! :D :lol:
NTH347X... now DMC 81X
Mike C aka MEC
vin - #4395

2009 DMC Europe open house Roadtrip member
Official 2010 Silvercoast "Chaved Banana"
Unofficial 2011 Eurofest Autotest WINNER ! 128.7 secs
2013 Silvercoast DMC Roadtrip Representitive
Eurofest 2016 Roadtrip member
2019 Hamburg Official Convoy Member

DeLorean Club
mec

VIN #: 4395
Spaxed

Postby ALEXAKOS » Sun Jan 04, 2015 8:48 pm

I assure you, The name Alex has good Karma when it comes to Delorean Restoration.
Welcome and enjoy!
VIN 5992/Body 5697/Frame 6000/Grey/Manual/LEDs/HALOs/SPAX/DMOCO SS shifter/MOMO/Custom SS exhaust/K&N/SS: f.fascia mounts,brake+clutch lines+tank cover+heat shlds/Posi-quiet brake pds/Poly bushing: steering +f.sway bar +radius.
ALEXAKOS

VIN #: MMMMMCMXCII
Spaxed

Postby Dangermouse » Mon Jan 05, 2015 3:43 pm

Congrats and welcome.

A mighty auto also - good choice :thumbsup:

How long has the car been in the UK? - was it an American carport or a British one? ;)

VIN?

Photos?

:greetings-waveyellow:
Dermot
vin 2743
Ex-Dunmurry-ite,
but now nr. Atlanta GA
US o'A

Vin 2743 – Black, Auto, non-lowered, non-Spaxed, non-carbed, non-turbo’d, non-de-catted, just as Neal drove it on the boat in August ‘81
Dangermouse

VIN #: 2743

Postby dannyj75 » Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:22 pm

also post photos! we love photos of restoration projects! - Ok well I like photos!
What state is the front suspension in? Lower control arms, ball joints ok?
dannyj75

VIN #: 3320

Postby clocktown64dd » Thu Jan 08, 2015 7:25 pm

wow I didn't think id even get any replys!
vin is 3643. im sure that reveals something to someone smarter than me!
yes its a mighty auto, im now purchasing a new metering head as I took mine apart, after this it should ( I say should lol) start finally!
ive just printed a very large wiring diagram so this should come in handy. front suspension is very high at the moment, front end of the chassis is rotten so il have to buy/ fabrivcate and weld up parts myself. as for the other parts im yet to see, its going to be a frame off job, im just rather impatient! :)
pictures soon!!!
clocktown64dd

Next

Return to Members Cars or Unique DeLoreans