VIN 3283 Restoration

Describe these cars here or do a restoration blog of your DeLorean

Re: VIN 3283 Restoration

Postby delorean12uk » Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:12 am

certainly looks impressive what the brothers are doing, maybe give Chris N a job. :lol:
Vin: Friday afternoon car, because the bastard thing likes to break all the time

Daily Maintenance a Certainty

Delorean Enthusiasts Love Official Reunions Especially At Norfolk

DeLorean Club

The Future's Bright....
The Future's
DeLorean Club
delorean12uk

VIN #: 4989

Postby jamesrguk » Tue Apr 19, 2016 9:55 pm

Looks great.

I'll genuinely be very interested to see how your paint job on the Fascias hold up.

Were you using rattle cans? If so the only issue I keep coming up against is the lack of flex in the lacquer coat, I get about 4years then suddenly the lacquer starts to crack.

I can actually achieve a very good looking finish from off the shelf cans but it's the lacquer which seems to cause me the problems.

I even wrote to Practical Classics magazine to see if they knew of a flexible lacquer available off the shelf, indeed they published the question in the magazine, but the consensus is that they're really aren't any available.

When I redo mine this summer I think I'll ditch the lacquer coat.

J
jamesrguk

VIN #: 5462
Spaxed

Postby mec » Wed Apr 20, 2016 12:56 am

you will struggle to get any real shine if you don't use lacquer James, it doesn't have to be flexible lacquer as all paint and lacquer have a certain amount of flex anyway, think how many cars you see with dents in and the paint doesn't crack, obviously it will of if goes to far but a little flex in the plastic shouldnt effect it, I can highly recommend this lacquer ...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PRO-XL-CLEAR- ... SwyQtVlUZk

mike
NTH347X... now DMC 81X
Mike C aka MEC
vin - #4395

2009 DMC Europe open house Roadtrip member
Official 2010 Silvercoast "Chaved Banana"
Unofficial 2011 Eurofest Autotest WINNER ! 128.7 secs
2013 Silvercoast DMC Roadtrip Representitive
Eurofest 2016 Roadtrip member
2019 Hamburg Official Convoy Member

DeLorean Club
mec

VIN #: 4395
Spaxed

Postby jamesrguk » Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:51 pm

mec wrote:you will struggle to get any real shine if you don't use lacquer James, it doesn't have to be flexible lacquer as all paint and lacquer have a certain amount of flex anyway, think how many cars you see with dents in and the paint doesn't crack, obviously it will of if goes to far but a little flex in the plastic shouldnt effect it, I can highly recommend this lacquer ...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PRO-XL-CLEAR- ... SwyQtVlUZk

mike

Yes sorry I'm talking about paint/lacquer from a rattle can.

When painted by professionals I understand that a plasticiser is included in the mix to give flexibility in the paint/lacquer and you can't do this with a rattle can.

Mine was absolutely fine for a good few years when I first painted and lacquered it, but then a fatty at a wedding perched on the corner and a crack in the lacquer appeared, then I pushed the car into the garage hands on the bumper and more cracks.

I will probably redo it in the summer, but it will always be a temporary job from a rattle can, that said it's very cheap fix.

I'm waiting for new fibreglass front and rear fascia, potentially from Chris N which I will then have professionally painted. I don't want to pay for a professional paint job when my original Fascias are so poor.

J
jamesrguk

VIN #: 5462
Spaxed

Postby jerzybondov » Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:18 am

You not worried about slapping a load of weight onto the ends of your car with fiberglass fascias James? They're proper heavy!
VIN 7176
Official Club Reaper Extraordinaire.
jerzybondov

VIN #: 7176
Spaxed

Postby mec » Thu Apr 21, 2016 1:06 am

Yea I know you meant rattle cans James, We didn't use any plasticiser on mine when i had them painted at work in a oven so i don't see why rattle cans should crack any more than a "professional" paint job, the problem with using plasticiser is that it makes the paint lose its adhesive qualities so then you end up with paint peeling off like mine did before I had them done, that link I attached was lacquer in a rattle can, I have used quite a few different makes and this one in my opinion is best, the quality of the paint/laquer can vary which maybe why yours has cracked

mike
NTH347X... now DMC 81X
Mike C aka MEC
vin - #4395

2009 DMC Europe open house Roadtrip member
Official 2010 Silvercoast "Chaved Banana"
Unofficial 2011 Eurofest Autotest WINNER ! 128.7 secs
2013 Silvercoast DMC Roadtrip Representitive
Eurofest 2016 Roadtrip member
2019 Hamburg Official Convoy Member

DeLorean Club
mec

VIN #: 4395
Spaxed

Postby delorean12uk » Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:10 am

jamesrguk wrote:I'm waiting for new fibreglass front and rear fascia, potentially from Chris N which I will then have professionally painted. I don't want to pay for a professional paint job when my original Fascias are so poor.J

James, I think the original front and rear fascia's would be better than fibre glass. As long as they are prepared properly. I know they warp but that's nothing for a heat gun to sort out. Mine had some severe warping in places and and I straightened them out okay. As long as plasticiser is used in the paint job they would be okay. They also have a lot more give and flexibility than fibre glass, fibre glass would crack a lot easier
Vin: Friday afternoon car, because the bastard thing likes to break all the time

Daily Maintenance a Certainty

Delorean Enthusiasts Love Official Reunions Especially At Norfolk

DeLorean Club

The Future's Bright....
The Future's
DeLorean Club
delorean12uk

VIN #: 4989

Previous

Return to Members Cars or Unique DeLoreans