vin 814

Describe these cars here or do a restoration blog of your DeLorean

Re: VIN 814

Postby andyd » Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:42 pm

Hi Chris,

Yes, would be good to meet up some time mate.

Shame I missed the weekend there, but other plans unfortunately. And you'll understand that I am trying to keep the missus very sweet just now....!

"Ah yes, so I'm pregnant, and you've just spunked all our money on a two-seater? Why thank you!"

Cheers, first technical post to follow...

andy
andyd

VIN #: 814

vin 814 MOT'd

Postby andyd » Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:30 am

Hello guys

Just a note to say that last weekend I got a year's ticket for vin 814. Thanks to all for advice, help, parts, support etc ec. Very much appreciated.

Its had a lot of work done over the last 18+ months, and a lot of parts too (Spax, Ed's springs and DPMW's ARB kit, ball joints, wheel bearings, TRE's, column bush and UJ up front. At the rear, just TAB's and bushes). To help it go, I cleaned out the tank, replaced the pump (working but noisy) and the lines, and pump boots. And to make it stop, a new 50-50 master cylinder, flexi lines, rebuilt the calipers with stainless pistons, and fresh redstuff pads all round.

Of course there is still loads to be done, especially once all the niggles start becoming obvious again. And yes, of course the clutch master cylinder has developed a weep... And is the clutch slipping?? I think so...!

Silver car! Take my money! Do with it as you will! Destroy my relationships and push my patience to the limit. And reward me with squeaks, rattles, skinned knuckles and an unrefined drive....

Do I love it? Grudgingly yes.

Thanks all, would be in a bind without the tech know-how (not to mention parts) from here,

andy
andyd

Re: vin 814 MOT'd

Postby RobvdVeer » Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:53 pm

andyd wrote:Silver car! Take my money! Do with it as you will! Destroy my relationships and push my patience to the limit. And reward me with squeaks, rattles, skinned knuckles and an unrefined drive....

Do I love it? Grudgingly yes.

Lol, my exact same thoughts.

Congrats on the MOT
Rob van der Veer
RobvdVeer

VIN #: 0b111001101111
Spaxed

Postby andyd » Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:48 pm

Thanks mate. Feels good to have an MOT, but I was a bit f'cked off at how much still needs to be done.

Perhaps I am moving the goal posts. Its better than it used to be, but still not how I want it. And knowing how much will have to be done to get it how I want it, well, its a bit depressing sometimes really, isn't it??

I will ignore it for a while, and see if I feel less pissed off!!

a
andyd

Postby RobvdVeer » Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:00 pm

How'd you feel if everything was done and ready? Bit boring if you ask me. The thing turned into a hobby, and when you're done there is a feeling of emptiness. It's better to keep a few thing open for improvement. Meanwhile, you get the chance to save up for new parts and talk about your adventures with other (ex-)owners!

Chin up!
Rob van der Veer
RobvdVeer

VIN #: 0b111001101111
Spaxed

Postby andyd » Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:02 pm

RobvdVeer wrote:How'd you feel if everything was done and ready? Bit boring if you ask me.

Chin up!

Yeah, cheers mate, I know exactly what you mean! I do feel like that. It just pisses me off when I get an MOT, then the clutch gives a bit of slip, and while tying some wires up under the dash I noticed at master was weeping. The idea is to get it good enough to drive to London without it arriving on the big yellow lorry, and once there fettle it as a running resto.

I'm in two minds whether to take the box out in glasgow (bigger, better garage, better tools, comfortable), or to get it down here with a still usable clutch and drop the box here....

Its also a pain having to travel 450 miles every few weekends to spanner it for 2 or 3 days. On the plus side, when I'm in Glasgow, my wife and kid are not, so I have no obligations and can work the whole day & into the night.

I don't really trust any workshops enough to let them do the clutch!! Paranoid and tight?? Yep!

( However, these really are first world problems!! :lol: )

a
andyd

Postby jerzybondov » Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:02 pm

andyd wrote:Thanks mate. Feels good to have an MOT, but I was a bit f'cked off at how much still needs to be done.

Perhaps I am moving the goal posts. Its better than it used to be, but still not how I want it. And knowing how much will have to be done to get it how I want it, well, its a bit depressing sometimes really, isn't it??

I will ignore it for a while, and see if I feel less pissed off!!

a

I know EXACTLY how you feel :roll: :)
VIN 7176
Official Club Reaper Extraordinaire.
jerzybondov

VIN #: 7176
Spaxed

vin 814

Postby andyd » Sun Apr 26, 2015 11:40 pm

Today is a good day!

I finally got vin 814 back on its own wheels and a little spin round the block just to test it out.

I bought the car in summer 2011, and sorted a few bits and pieces around the front end before laying it up when my son was born in november 2011. I live in London, but laid the car up in my mum's garage in Glasgow.

At this point the fuel pump was getting noisy, the boot was a mess, and the front fuel lines pretty rough. The drivers door strut had also torn out the fibreglass. The clutch had always been terrible,
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=2433

and the master had started leaking. So I started a slow fettle I also replaced the brake master which was also wet. Bleeding the brakes shared off a nipple, so when I had the caliper off, I decided to rebuild it properly. Meaning of course you do all 4 with stainless pistons, flexis etc. I opted for redstuff pads.

I put spax and eds springs on the front, and the dpnw sway bar kit, and replaced tabs and ta bushes. After this work, I got an mot on it in June 2013.

On the way back from the mot the clutch started slipping. I took it for alignment, and they said 2 wheel bearings were past it, so no point trying to get alignment done. Great!

So I decided to drop the box to do the clutch. Flywheel was past it, so this needed ground.
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=4043

New clutch from dave h. With release and pilot bearings and rear crank seal. I also took the rear cover off the box to sort a leak from the oil seal. New clutch slave and cross gate cable too.

I changed 4x wheel bearings, all poly bushes up front (apart from sway bar). New rubber bushes in the lateral arms, viewtopic.php?f=20&t=4438

new spax in the rear.

When I had the driveshafts out, I stripped the cv joints, which were of course gubbed, so 4 new ones.
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=4505
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=4044

when I had the front end apart, I took the opportunity to replace the leaking radiator, so also did all hoses with silicone and stainless clamps. dpnw coolant bleeder seemed like a good idea too.

Fuck, that sounds like quite a lot!!

So this was good!

20150426_170956.jpg
20150426_170956.jpg (1.49 MiB) Viewed 13936 times

Still looks rough, and is utterly filthy, but drives a whole lot better. The clutch is a revelation. Not only much lighter but smooth and progressive. The ride has no clunks or bangs which is a bit of a novelty too. Gear shift is really nice too with a new correctly adjusted x-gate cable and pivot bolt. Grease on the linkage and new oil in the box probably helps too.

The front looks high here, but I had just had the jack up derived the front to seat that wheel properly.

So there is still a pretty big list to do, but it's probably just about mot-able. I've refitted the fog light and am looking at my lada front indicators as the mot guy didn't really like the yellow running lights. But it's close!

See you in the summer!! Thanks to all those who have helped me out, beer on me, I promise!

Cheers. Now, time for a large malt

Andy
Attachments
20150426_171008.jpg
20150426_171008.jpg (1.39 MiB) Viewed 13936 times
andyd

Re: vin 814

Postby jerzybondov » Mon Apr 27, 2015 3:36 pm

Great work Andy - you're right, that was a LOT!
VIN 7176
Official Club Reaper Extraordinaire.
jerzybondov

VIN #: 7176
Spaxed

Re: vin 814

Postby andyd » Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:54 pm

Yes, not done yet tho, not even nearly. Are they ever done? That's why we "love" them tho eh?? Should be usable for the summer tho. I look forward to getting out and about for a few events.

Thanks for the thread merge too, great housekeeping. I had forgotten about the previous one.

Cheers

A
andyd

PreviousNext

Return to Members Cars or Unique DeLoreans