Vin 5823 arrived in The Netherlands today.

Describe these cars here or do a restoration blog of your DeLorean

Re: Vin 5823 arrived in The Netherlands today.

Postby Admin-bloke » Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:29 pm

Horsebox wrote:You could try stopping the intake vacuum getting to the charcoal canister from the cold start pipe. This is how I did it on mine, and it lowered the idle back to normal. Pretty easy too!

Horsebox, that symptom is usually a missing rubber blanking plug on the charcoal canister on the vacuum stub labelled "carb" or a poor vacuum connection back to the fuel tank.
Admin-bloke, "The D Whisperer"
Pie n Pint Northerner....
Vin #4068 - y'official "Mighty Auto" test car for Admin-bloke tuning.

https://www.justgiving.com/campnibble

Forum Founder [means I just installed it........] and Tech Help
DeLorean Club

The Future's Bright....
The Future's
DeLorean Club
Admin-bloke

VIN #: 4068
Spaxed

Postby Delta Delorean » Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:25 pm

Horsebox wrote:Did you get a printed emissions report when you went for the test? If you did then that should have the CO value.

Mine doesn't have a gasket between the cold start valve and the brass tube either, but there is a little o-ring there. Mines a bit flat on one side too, but my idle is OK so I haven't done anything about it.

Bitsyncmaster on DMCTalk has written quite a bit about the way the idle valve works. I think it should move to half open when you put the ignition to Run, and then slowly close after a while if you don't start the car. I can't see how you'd be able to eyeball the valve with the engine running, as all the pipe work would have to be open and that really would be a bit of a vacuum leak :-) Unless you've got an endoscope and can plumb it in to a closed system?

We never get a printed report for emissions. If it is not good the car will not pas the inspection. The guy just told me it was good.
No o ring and no gasket on the cold start. So have to change that. Oil filler does not seem to be very tight, so I try to find a new o ring for that.
I was thinking to leave the idle valve not installed only hooked on the electric and plug the big hole in the fuel distributeur. And the see what it does. But your sugestion is much better. Can not do it at this moment, all cables are removed from the engine and the alternator and starter have been taken of. So no electric power on the wires.
For now I just move on working on other things that need atention and try to order all parts in one order.
Have started on the roof box repair, but somebody glued the t pannel to the car.
Have taken the steering rack out today, that also needs some work, it just turns to heavy, making the car hard to drive at high speed.
Delta Delorean

VIN #: 5823

Postby Delta Delorean » Tue Dec 13, 2016 7:11 pm

Thanks Admin - bloke,
Must have overlooked your post yesterday.
Yes I have the car in pieces and the idle valve is no longer connected.
I would like to know if it is working, so I will test it tomorrow with a battery.
Thank you for the clear instructions!
Delta Delorean

Postby Admin-bloke » Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:16 pm

Delta Delorean wrote:Thanks Admin - bloke,
Must have overlooked your post yesterday.
Yes I have the car in pieces and the idle valve is no longer connected.
I would like to know if it is working, so I will test it tomorrow with a battery.
Thank you for the clear instructions!

You're welcome. Good luck !

DeLorean Club

The Future's Bright....
The Future's
DeLorean Club
Admin-bloke

Spaxed

Postby Horsebox » Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:55 pm

You can get the cold start valve o-ring from Ed, part 102373, a few pence.

PM me your address and I'll send you a non-OEM rubber seal for the oil filler cap, free of charge because they're cheap and it's Christmas!
Horsebox

VIN #: 06042

Postby Horsebox » Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:10 am

Admin-bloke wrote:Horsebox, that symptom is usually a missing rubber blanking plug on the charcoal canister on the vacuum stub labelled "carb" or a poor vacuum connection back to the fuel tank.

Food for thought....I replaced the 'carb' bung which fell to bits when I pulled it off but the new one made no difference to the idle. Shutting off the intake vacuum from the cold start pipe to the charcoal made a huge difference.

I remember the fuel tank used to hiss when I opened it up for refuel, and now it doesn't, even though it's still plumbed to the charcoal canister. I have replaced everything in the tank tho.....so maybe I've created leaks or the fuel cap has gone bad. I'll look into it. Thanks, I hadn't thought along that angle.
Horsebox

VIN #: 06042

Postby Admin-bloke » Wed Dec 14, 2016 1:38 pm

Or a poor seal around the fuel pump cover/ fuel sender cover

DeLorean Club

The Future's Bright....
The Future's
DeLorean Club
Admin-bloke

Spaxed

Postby Delta Delorean » Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:18 pm

Horsebox wrote:You can get the cold start valve o-ring from Ed, part 102373, a few pence.

PM me your address and I'll send you a non-OEM rubber seal for the oil filler cap, free of charge because they're cheap and it's Christmas!

Thank you for the offer! I have a few boxes with o rings but nothing this big.
Pm sent.
Delta Delorean

Postby Delta Delorean » Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:34 pm

After looking at a video on you tube from Martin i noticed that he can turn the shaft of the steering rack with his hand. This is not possible on mine. Need a pair of pliers to do this. This results in the crapy steering at high speed. I gues the po never drove it very fast in the usa. The bearings and shaft look to be in very good condition. Just need to make some of these shims so everything is not so tight and i can turn the shaft easy. Don't think the club sells these shims?
I will try to make them from gasket paper.
Attachments
image.jpeg
Steering rack
image.jpeg (287.63 KiB) Viewed 4287 times
Delta Delorean

Postby Delta Delorean » Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:50 pm

Took the waterpump of today. I was hoping to use it agian but now i can see it is a bit wet around the hole. I have never seen it leak and the bearings feel fine. But having the car this far appart it would not be smart to leave it like this.
I don't like to spend 150€ on a new one. Car has to stay of the road until the first of March. Where can I have the pump rebuild?
Would this be the original pump? Noticed it has some blue spots of paint on them like on other parts of my engine. The back of the pump has the date 1981 on it. The hose clamps are not stainless and have some red paint on the midle bit.
The short hoses are from Kleber.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (222.57 KiB) Viewed 4278 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (219.32 KiB) Viewed 4278 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (203 KiB) Viewed 4278 times
Delta Delorean

PreviousNext

Return to Members Cars or Unique DeLoreans