Stainless Steel Fixings

Describe these cars here or do a restoration blog of your DeLorean

Stainless Steel Fixings

Postby Spudmurphy » Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:53 pm

My project car some bits have been taken off, some bits are duplicated, some bits are missing!! So along with refixing the fuel tank and bottom plate, door solenoids,window motors, air filter box, rear lights etc etc I'm going to need a considerable amount of s/s fixings... hex and screw.
So rather than order a load from the Delorean outlets my intention is to buy a load from a fixings supplier. It will be soooo much cheaper...
So far I'm thinking:-
M6 x 25 hex
M6 X 20 Hex
M6 x 16 hex
M6 12 screw
M5 x 12 hex
M8 x 16 hex
+ washers
+ whatever the rear numberplate screw threads are ?
Any more suggestions ?
Thanks.
(NB I wont be taking the tub off the frame!!!)

Cheers
Kevin
Vin 11789 one of the 50 Middle Eastern Cars
Spudmurphy

VIN #: 11789

Re: Stainless Steel Fixings

Postby arranj » Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:08 pm

As far the external screws go, black stainless looks nicer: http://www.deloreanclub.uk/exterior-screw-kit.html - some of the screws can be found easily enough in stainless, but they look better black and they are not as easy to find. I've also had many of the interior screws made in black stainless (none of which are listed on the site) - but will be at some point. Your middle eastern car possibly won't have had the correct fixing nuts for the numberplate bezel, but I do have a load of captive nuts here that match the correct (black stainless) screw.

Regarding all of the other (hex head) screws, in many cases using stainless isn't a good idea, you want high tensile steel. I have about 5000 screws of various sizes - some in stainless, some not, and I can bring over what you need to Amsterdam on Saturday at "fixings" prices, not "DeLorean" prices, but I'd need a list with part numbers. Your idea might work, but there are quite a few different sizes required, you'd be better off buying a load of slightly longer ones in bulk off of Ebay and cutting some of them down if you're looking to save a few pence.
Arran | DCUK 004 | VIN #1764 | Official DeLorean Club World Headquarters, Norfolk, UK

Das Webmeister
DeLorean Club

arranj

VIN #: 1764
Spaxed

Postby andyd » Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:40 pm

Quite a lot of threads in the motor are m7.

Get nylocks too. And penny washers. And maybe some rivnuts. And a gun, and maybe a dremel too when you get there! When I was doing these sorts of jobs after I bought the car (without the benefit of the club stock we now have) I would just buy 50 or a hundred of each- you'll soon get thru them.

But if I were to repeat this now, I would buy thru the club. Its effectively at cost, with a bulk discount. Look at prices on ebay.

See you at the weekend!

Andy
andyd

VIN #: 814

Postby InoX » Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:58 pm

Namrick are a good supplier.
InoX

Postby Spudmurphy » Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:21 am

Thanks guys - yeah I saw little point in just buying them as I went along - I'd much prefer to get a load in and use them during the refurb.
Arran has said that he has a good stock too.

Good call on the rivnuts - something I've never really come across before - but I know that I'll come across them soon.

I've checked e bay and some fixings suppliers who have great prices - effectively less than the 1/3 of the price if you to buy "Delorean" ones.
I'd better get a rivnut gun too (added to the new tools list) so any recommendations appreciated.

Yeah look forward to seeing you on the weekend - I should be out of the airport around 10:00 still awaiting firm details from Arran but the arrangements are pretty loose :-)
Where are you guys staying ? - don't know if we could meet up for the onward journey to Ed's - otherwise I'll catch the train to Eds (station = 5 miles away)

InoX thanks for the suggestion of Namrick
Vin 11789 one of the 50 Middle Eastern Cars
Spudmurphy

VIN #: 11789

Return to Members Cars or Unique DeLoreans