vin 11789 unusual to have this missing?

Describe these cars here or do a restoration blog of your DeLorean

Start up attempt #2 of vin 11789

Postby Spudmurphy » Tue May 08, 2018 8:49 am

With my restoration of vin 11789, the latest state of play is that I had installed all the new injectors after flushing fuel through all the lines.

I checked delivery of the fuel using the "Bottle Test" and all was good, the levels of fuel captured in the bottles were pretty much even and all the fuel captured was clean as a whistle

Then bloody "Murphy's Law!" kicked in and one banjo bolt snapped on the metering head, THE last one too!!
- I'll need to order a replacement from Arran, as I don't have a spare banjo.

My intention was just to blip the engine over - I still hadn't filled it back up with water for the blip so on Sunday I checked all hose clamps - every one had been replaced along with new water pipes. , thermostat, water pump etc.

So I filled it up through the expansion tank ,with the top (small) pipe off the top of the rad and the bleed nipple open.

After tightening the front rad pipe, I heard the dreaded drip drip - quite a bit actually, coming from the "screw in" otterstat upgrade.

I had to grind down a 60 year old spanner to fit it and had to wedge the ali coolant pipe with pieces of wood so that I could get some "torque" on the otterstat.

That one was sorted .. then water was spilling out of the bleed nipple - I'd tightened it but still it poured out.

It was a nipple that just kept on "giving". I tried it again adding a copper washer - nope the brand new bleed nipple is SNAFU.

So I installed the original brass one, much better ... and jobs a good un.

A small weep then showed up around the thermostat - where it mated to the water pump - so I had to take the horns off - nip up the bolts - there was still a small weep and I'll check again tomorrow .

I may even contemplate using some gasket sealant !!! .. but am loath to do so? any advice ?

Finally after fixing an earth problem I bridged the otterstat wires and the fans came on - cool [Image: 1f642.png][Image: 1f642.png]

Almost there!!!
Vin 11789 one of the 50 Middle Eastern Cars
Spudmurphy

VIN #: 11789

Re: Start up attempt #2 of vin 11789

Postby andyd » Tue May 08, 2018 10:03 am

Spudmurphy wrote:
I may even contemplate using some gasket sealant !!! .. but am loath to do so? any advice ?

I did, and always would. Even with a new gasket. We all have our favourite sealants, mine is Yamabond.
andyd

VIN #: 814

Re: Start up attempt #2 of vin 11789

Postby Spudmurphy » Tue May 08, 2018 10:33 am

Cheers Andy.
I still have some hylomar left over - I used to use it on the VW aircooled split cases. There was no gasket at all on them - just a smear of hylomar and all was good.
Spudmurphy

Vin 11789 - 3rd time lucky - it runs!

Postby Spudmurphy » Sat May 26, 2018 5:58 pm

Effort #1 - it fired up and ran on 3 or 4 cylinders . Initially I was ecstatic thinking an adjustment here and there would get it all ok? I posted on here saying that it was "Alive", well be that as it may, but it was "under the weather"!

Effort #2 I got nowhere - wouldn't even run!

Effort #3 Investigation showed that a PO had put in the distributor 180 degrees out . the valve clearances were tight. and (my fault) a vac leak was spotted on the w pipe - which was not seated correctly and a turn of the distributor - it caught and it burst into life and revved nicely too.

Will now do some minor work to the engine - check for leaks - swop the rad and expansion tanks over for the new ones I have - onwards and upwards or in my case downwards as I will take the car off the concrete blocks.

I tried to upload the video but it won't seem to play.

It's on the Facebook - Delorean Restoration Projects page.
Spudmurphy

Re: Vin 11789 - 3rd time lucky - it runs!

Postby Dave M » Sat May 26, 2018 7:44 pm

Nice one spud - looks like you are just that little bit closer to next years mini meet at Carew castle then !?!?!?
Dave M

VIN #: 5345

Postby gary290 » Sat May 26, 2018 7:58 pm

well done Spud!! i'm sure you have a great feeling after all the hard work, keep going as every little bit counts
gary290

VIN #: 17005

Postby TristanC » Sun May 27, 2018 9:34 am

Well done mate!
Tristan J Carroll
#11477 Jan '82 Grey Manual
Member No.: 187
TristanC

VIN #: 11477

oil pressure and oil warning light.

Postby Spudmurphy » Sun May 27, 2018 10:04 am

The gauge shows good pressure, but the warning light stays on.
The pressure sender is the one by the oil filter?
Is the oil light sender on the drivers side of the engine just above the exhaust manifold - if so then I'm guessing that I need to work back from there?

Any pointers/hints/tips greatly appreciated?
Spudmurphy

Re: oil pressure and oil warning light.

Postby arranj » Sun May 27, 2018 3:07 pm

The light switch is in line with the main crank pulley - just to left of it. More likely to leak rather than stay on, but leak it does, and stay on it might, and it's a cheap part to replace.
Easy enough to rip the wire off of it and have a test fiddle to see what happens to the light. It's only a switch.
Arran | DCUK 004 | VIN #1764 | Official DeLorean Club World Headquarters, Norfolk, UK

Das Webmeister
DeLorean Club

arranj

VIN #: 1764
Spaxed

Postby Spudmurphy » Mon May 28, 2018 10:00 am

I just posted the video to youtube
https://youtu.be/5Ca2B5Bo_m4
Spudmurphy

PreviousNext

Return to Members Cars or Unique DeLoreans