Vin 2703

Describe these cars here or do a restoration blog of your DeLorean

Vin 2703

Postby IGB » Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:04 pm

Over the past couple of months in between work and rest of life I have finally got around to replacing all the fuel lines, fuel filter, HT leads, distributor, rotor arm and vacuum lines.

Unfortunately last weekend after completing the rebuild it wouldn't start. I suspected an HT problem, but waited until this weekend to await delivery of a CTEK 5 charger (which I have been going to buy for ages) and HT tester.

Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (72.48 KiB) Viewed 4650 times

Anyway with battery fully charged the HT tester (very useful tool for £7.59) showed the output from the coil was pulsing as it should.

However on testing all the individual spark plugs only the plug on cylinder 2 was getting a spark. So took a deep breath and disconnected some of the fuel lines to move the fuel distributor out the way. Stripped down the distributor and the rotor arm was in this position.

Capture2.JPG
Capture2.JPG (55.84 KiB) Viewed 4650 times

Took off the rotor arm and found that I had managed to fit it 90 degrees out. The notch wasn't lined up. What an absolute idiot I am. Correctly fitted it should have been like this

Capture3.JPG
Capture3.JPG (34.72 KiB) Viewed 4650 times

Re-assembled everything and the engine started with the first turn of the key. So even though the rotor arm is keyed so it should not be possible to fit it incorrectly it can be done. As an Engineer I made a foolish error, but at least the other moral of the story is if it doesn't start after you have worked on it logically check through as it's probably something you have done.

Ian
IGB

VIN #: 2703
Spaxed

Re: Vin 2703

Postby A Van » Sun Apr 12, 2020 7:52 am

Glad it’s sorted Ian, and thanks for posting the pictures etc
If it happens to you it will happen to others !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Alistair V

Vin 11753 - B/Auto - Kuwait, painted black
Ex Vin 11766 - B/Auto - Dubai
Ex 11622, 6064

RIP Mike 'Bozzy' Bosworth 19/04/1969 - 31/12/2015

Official Spokesperson and Media Liaison Officer, and off road Buggy flipper
DeLorean Club

The Future's Bright....
The Future's
DeLorean Club
A Van