7161 Chassis restoration

Describe these cars here or do a restoration blog of your DeLorean

7161 Chassis restoration

Postby eric » Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:17 am

At last I have taken the coil springs out at the front and the LCA's are out. Ready for SPAX and new LCA's.

I wanted to attack some of the rust elements below the LCA as it is a weather prone area and nigh impossible to get to when they are fitted. The problem is inside the box section as shown in the pics is also peeling and I can see the rust.

I did think it would just be the outside edge. So I have purchased POR15 along with the degreaser and pre-paint etching solution. But keeping in mind access and lack of and the fact these are water based and need washing off I cant see me getting much progress on the inner box section.

Can I seek some advice ? I was thinking just get as much of the loose stuff off then get some waxoil in there. I know its a marmite product but its going to stop rust worsening.

https://imgur.com/1Kz2nIY

https://imgur.com/7XWrf8L

There is only one thing in life worse than not owning a DeLorean.
Owning one which is not running...
eric

VIN #: 7161
Spaxed

Re: Chasis box section treatment

Postby Rissy » Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:57 am

I managed to work on those tunnels to derust, and paint with four layers of paint using a combination of squeezing a hand in there, and/or using a paint brush on the end of a stick with gaffer tape to hold them together. Horrible job. Was at it for about a week each side. Best of luck.
Rissy
Chris M. Morionem qui loquitur multus sine cogitatione.

May 1981 vin#1458
"LEX" - Officially used in Britain's Greatest Machines (80's episode) with Chris Barrie.
Grey Wheels
Grooved, flapped Bonnet
Black Leather Interior
Chassis: #1073
Engine: #2839

Main Car(s):

2005 BMW M3 E46 Shape 3.246 Straight Six in Velvet Blue
1999 Honda Civic MB6 Shape 1.8VTi VTEC in Pirates Black
Rissy

VIN #: 01458

Postby eric » Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:40 am

Thanks Rissy, That's a good shout I will not rush to get the LCA's and wheels back on and take my time with it I guess....not much point in rushing to take a leisurely sit in the drive with her with the way things are.

My biggest worry was needing to wash off the de-rust and de-greaser which would inevitably put water into the box section twice, but I guess that's happening in the rain anyway and I can heat gun it off.

eric

Spaxed

Postby CFI » Sat Apr 25, 2020 4:06 pm

I recently used an Eastwood product to do some rust converting/stopping/preventing on my roof box. It comes with a flexible 2 ft hose to enable you to reach hard to get places. Perhaps something like that could help reach those awkward places on the frame?

https://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-inter ... rosol.html
CFI

Postby eric » Mon May 04, 2020 2:39 pm

Initially I didn't think it was too bad .

But then I made it through, it looks rusted through to the other side at the bottom.

How bad is this ? I have always expected major chassis repair would be needed eventually but hadn't hoped so soon.

Class as minor corrosion lash it with paint and primer and worry about it in a few years ?

or

Admit defeat bit the bullet with a full body off resto ?

eric

Spaxed

Postby bandit » Mon May 04, 2020 4:15 pm

That don’t look great does it! You could have it done & back together before lockdown has ended, perfect time to do it :D
bandit

VIN #: 7024
Spaxed

Postby jerzybondov » Mon May 04, 2020 9:01 pm

What kind of condition is the rest of your chassis in Eric?
VIN 7176
Official Club Reaper Extraordinaire.
jerzybondov

VIN #: 7176
Spaxed

Postby eric » Thu May 07, 2020 12:51 pm

Quite honestly, I always worried about the front the rear I always thought needed definite TLC but wasn't too bad. But my Delorean is like my todger, I am proud to say I have only ever seen one so happy for some advice.

I have read MEC's frame off resto and I think mine has probably had the same kind of plate welded to what I think would be the front frame extension. It may be I only need that, and a bit of TLC on the rest. Annoyingly I have it 1/2 on ramps at the back (up) and on Axle stands at the front so I cant get a clean pic of the front.

I can tell the PO or whomever he took it to clearly never heard of using a pad when jacking it up.

As you can see its always had a tear in the front extension, assume he ran onto something at some point. It was a good price so I did expect something like this... Question is the frame directly above the LCA part of the front frame extension or cross member ?

But inside didnt look too bad.

Below steering column

Rear

Inside the box rear.

Earth Strap rear

Misc

Annoyingly due to the way its parked on ramps I cant do a chassis off now without putting LCA's back on and re-attaching the wheels/shocks/springs. So some of me is thinking strip it back as much as I can paint it up in the accessible areas.

This one inside the front box in particular

Then hopefully get sorted for Ireland next year whilst planning the whole frame off shebang….for winter by the time I have saved up :violin: .

eric

Spaxed

Postby eric » Mon May 11, 2020 9:18 am

Thanks MEC and Alex D, I am going in :)

No point polishing a turd and putting new LCA's on it and having to re-do later so after a miserable Sunday debating it I chatted with Alex in the evening and I will be cracking on the separation.

eric

Spaxed

Postby mec » Mon May 11, 2020 9:37 am

Awesome ! I look forward to seeing a thread on this, as you say its better to have a solid chassis to build from rather than bolting nice bits on rust, that was my thinking too, i had a set of spax sitting in my garage for about 8 years cause i didnt wana bolt em on a rusty chassis :lol:
NTH347X... now DMC 81X
Mike C aka MEC
vin - #4395

2009 DMC Europe open house Roadtrip member
Official 2010 Silvercoast "Chaved Banana"
Unofficial 2011 Eurofest Autotest WINNER ! 128.7 secs
2013 Silvercoast DMC Roadtrip Representitive
Eurofest 2016 Roadtrip member
2019 Hamburg Official Convoy Member

DeLorean Club
mec

VIN #: 4395