Eurofest 2016 Roadtrip member
2019 Hamburg Official Convoy Member

DeLorean Club
mec

VIN #: 4395
Spaxed

Re: 7161 Chassis restoration

Postby eric » Sun Oct 25, 2020 6:03 pm

Thanks Mec and thanks for keeping me going... Its helped with you treading the path before...

Just managed 2 out of the 4 accumulator bolts today, took me about 2 hours to work out how to reach them and find the extensions and 10 mins to do per hole so well chuffed...... those bad boys have been sitting on my shoulder since I got the chassis back as access is a pig.... Hoping to make some big strides this next week.

There is only one thing in life worse than not owning a DeLorean.
Owning one which is not running...
eric

VIN #: 7161
Spaxed

Postby Darrenre » Sun Oct 25, 2020 8:55 pm

The force is with you !
Darrenre

Postby eric » Mon Nov 09, 2020 1:59 pm

I am taking it easy from a pace perspective and its keeping me positive and happy, a lot of the ancillary items are on and lined up, need a fair whack of new pipe clips.

It does start to look a lot better once you get some of the main things in.

Surface Pro is my friend here, I must be honest I haven't used it much other than as a normal desktop PC in the 7 or so years I have owned it but being able to compare before vs after and check what goes where is saving me hours.

eric

Spaxed

Postby Rissy » Mon Nov 09, 2020 2:02 pm

Exciting stuff!
Rissy
Chris M. Morionem qui loquitur multus sine cogitatione.

May 1981 vin#1458
"LEX" - Officially used in Britain's Greatest Machines (80's episode) with Chris Barrie.
Grey Wheels
Grooved, flapped Bonnet
Black Leather Interior
Chassis: #1073
Engine: #2839

Main Car(s):

2005 BMW M3 E46 Shape 3.246 Straight Six in Velvet Blue
1999 Honda Civic MB6 Shape 1.8VTi VTEC in Pirates Black
Rissy

VIN #: 01458

Postby Darrenre » Mon Nov 09, 2020 5:15 pm

Great to see your making progress
Darrenre

Postby eric » Mon Nov 09, 2020 6:35 pm

Thanks chaps, it doesn't look much but that's the worst of it done... It will be nice to get the wheels back on but I lose a lot of access/space at that point so will leave it until later.

eric

Spaxed

Postby cis6409 » Tue Nov 10, 2020 4:04 pm

:D Brilliant progress very encouraging to see,
cis6409

VIN #: 6409

Postby mec » Wed Nov 11, 2020 9:53 pm

Awesome mate, lots of good progress ! Keep Going ! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
NTH347X... now DMC 81X
Mike C aka MEC
vin - #4395

2009 DMC Europe open house Roadtrip member
Official 2010 Silvercoast "Chaved Banana"
Unofficial 2011 Eurofest Autotest WINNER ! 128.7 secs
2013 Silvercoast DMC Roadtrip Representitive
Eurofest 2016 Roadtrip member
2019 Hamburg Official Convoy Member

DeLorean Club
mec

VIN #: 4395
Spaxed

Postby eric » Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:14 pm

Getting there with some good progress on Sunday.

All of the tank plate chassis nuts are re-tapped.

Some lovely new bolts for the tank plate which for once.... wait for it.... came from my bolt selection box and didn't cost me a penny.

Working on some of the cooling pipes, which is giving me a chance to replace the hoses along with shiny new stainless clips, although in reality all of my clips are pretty much ok so I wouldn't bother if I was doing it again.

No labels so comparing like for like, this is the only one I had any doubt on as the original looks like a straight hose which has been bent over the years, but the only matching is an identical length but with a similar "proper" bend in it. Hope its the right one and not something at the water pump I haven't found yet.

These are all on the underside of the Chassis which makes a pleasant change from working on the top. Lots of pipe clips (double) ones needed to finish the top so I am waiting until I have enough to be able to do a final count before ordering.

I had to backtrack a little and release the gear linkage in order to be able to get the gearstick connected.

I am not going further with getting the gearstick attached as there are still a few holes in there which need connections. Key word being "may" as some of the holes are just that, a drilled hole which wasn't used. Maybe some were for LHD/RDH thinking.

Interestingly you can see the bolt for the linkage in the previous pic top left. That's the one with the hole hand drilled for the bolt which I loved so much for some reason.

Main brake biping is pretty much complete and re-tapped easily enough.

I was going to pop the fuel tank in but again there are some holes which may need filling/re-drilling so I don't want to risk it and there are also the cooling tubes which go under/around it so I will leave it a bit.

The big pile of stuff I had has massively diminished to a handful of items now. Radiator etc been one of the biggies. Looking forward to getting suspension done as that will mean I can pop the engine back in and re-gain lots of space. I have opted for the radiator bleed kit upgrade as well which should make refilling the cooling system a lot easier.

Everything bush wise seems ok so they are all going back on. I was having a read of other folks and came across PJGRADY post which said they would trust an original Steering rack bush over any replacement which was good. They felt fine.

If anyone has a clue on Cooling and vending machines my other side project is in need of an Cooling unit replacement.

The cooling deck is simple enough but I need to retrofit a compressor (with switch/start/relay which are currently missing and the main issue) etc which is fairly simple but nobody commercially wants to touch it as its a small job and not worth the effort.

I don't fancy cutting into the cooling tubes and re-soldering as I have never done anything like that and wouldn't know how to re-gas.

I thought I had hit the jackpot with complete replacement deck from the US but then the whole lack of 240v reality hit me :(

eric

Spaxed

PreviousNext

Return to Members Cars or Unique DeLoreans