VIN #2307 Arriving soon from BHCC

Describe these cars here or do a restoration blog of your DeLorean

Re: VIN #2307 Arriving soon from BHCC

Postby Darrenre » Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:10 pm

DMC1983 wrote:Mine are the same. Im still working up the courage to drill out the rivets. You dont want to slip and hit the torsion bar. Ive seen people use some garden hose to help protect the bars. You also need to be careful when riveting the new rubber as you can easily dent the top of the door. I may have found another way using sheet screws

Oh dear, I obviously have not done my homework yet on fixing this then! Will have to put the car under cover till I get my next brave pill. Is the procedure documented? Sorry have not looked yet!
Darrenre

Postby DMC1983 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:23 pm

It is on the american forum dmctalk. I dont think these ones matter quite so much for now and water will channel out anyway. Its the inner door seal thats probably most important so as long as thats intact, water shouldnt creep in via the door.
Ive driven in torrential rain a couple times now and the car has been fine. My advice is to try and focus more on the bigger things. Its easy to get side tracked on the smaller details.
Myself, this is what i do but if i have trouble with something, i will do a smaller job just to feel that victory feeling. I (like every owner) struggled with the accumulator (its a real bitch of a job), so to feel like I had a win, i changed the gear stick boot.

Basically you have to drill out the old rivets. The garden hose slips over the torsion bar which should protect it if you have a slip. Part of the rivet inside will fall into the door. Apparently it will rattle for same time in an inaccessible part of the door but will eventually work its way out of a drain hole. You then remove the old rubber, glue the new one in place and rivet back on the door. Im looking into sheet screws so if i had to change them again (which isnt likely) then no drilling is required.

Whatever job you do, take your time and dont rush. Its worked very well for me. Anything youre not sure about ask here. Guaranteed we've already done that job and have some tips or tricks, actually even if you're sure sometimes it can pay to ask anyway.

Regarding arran... hes damn quick. Its like you get your order before youve even ordered it. Make a list (there is a wishlist option on the DGo site) and order what you can when you can. Dont expect that list to shorten though. It grows. Just as you think youre making a dent, more gets added. Feels like it will never end.

Here is a picture of arran with all our delorean money :lol: :lol: :lol:

photostudio_1589921351157.jpg
photostudio_1589921351157.jpg (1.63 MiB) Viewed 9584 times
DeLoryan
VIN 5219 - Oct 81
Grey Interior, Manual
Grooved Hood
Reg:  FNP 478W (Finding Numerous Problems)
Travelling And Recreation Developed In Style
Member of the Beverley Hills Car Club Club
DMC1983

VIN #: 5219
Spaxed

Postby Darrenre » Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:37 pm

DMC1983 wrote:It is on the american forum dmctalk. I dont think these ones matter quite so much for now and water will channel out anyway. Its the inner door seal thats probably most important so as long as thats intact, water shouldnt creep in via the door.
Ive driven in torrential rain a couple times now and the car has been fine. My advice is to try and focus more on the bigger things. Its easy to get side tracked on the smaller details.
Myself, this is what i do but if i have trouble with something, i will do a smaller job just to feel that victory feeling. I (like every owner) struggled with the accumulator (its a real bitch of a job), so to feel like I had a win, i changed the gear stick boot.

Basically you have to drill out the old rivets. The garden hose slips over the torsion bar which should protect it if you have a slip. Part of the rivet inside will fall into the door. Apparently it will rattle for same time in an inaccessible part of the door but will eventually work its way out of a drain hole. You then remove the old rubber, glue the new one in place and rivet back on the door. Im looking into sheet screws so if i had to change them again (which isnt likely) then no drilling is required.

Whatever job you do, take your time and dont rush. Its worked very well for me.

I jumped to a conclusion that those holes would be letting in water. Should have checked. I agree the bigger things are the prime concern. I have started with the Engine and the chassis is next when I can get it lifted. DMC badge is missing from the front though which is bothering me loads! That’s a job for a quick win I suppose. But pricey too
Darrenre

Postby DMC1983 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:43 pm

It will let in water if the inner seals are shot. Otherwise it just channels down the sides and out of a drain hole

Advice given to me was focus and sort the mechanicals first then move onto the cosmetic. Would you like prefer an eyesore you can drive and enjoy or a really nice and shiny garden ornament?

To be fair i have done some cosmetic stuff but didnt start till at least i had the car running and sorted the brakes.
DeLoryan
VIN 5219 - Oct 81
Grey Interior, Manual
Grooved Hood
DMC1983

Spaxed

Postby eric » Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:05 am

If you want to borrow a cover I have one for outside use.....

There is only one thing in life worse than not owning a DeLorean.
Owning one which is not running...
eric

VIN #: 7161
Spaxed

Postby Darrenre » Fri Aug 28, 2020 11:05 pm

DMC1983 wrote:It will let in water if the inner seals are shot. Otherwise it just channels down the sides and out of a drain hole

Advice given to me was focus and sort the mechanicals first then move onto the cosmetic. Would you like prefer an eyesore you can drive and enjoy or a really nice and shiny garden ornament?

To be fair i have done some cosmetic stuff but didnt start till at least i had the car running and sorted the brakes.

Ordered a few bits yesterday to help me get the rear Louvre open and Deloreango “Arran” got them to me 11 am today!

I am big into cylinder rust at the moment. Also my auto gear select is stuck in N and was very wet as water has been running in through the (missing) interior light socket) Dropping right on top of it for a dEvade or two!

Looks great though!
Darrenre

Postby Darrenre » Fri Aug 28, 2020 11:09 pm

I tried to open the fuel cover screws today in the funky trunky but they just appear to spin. So need to crack that soon.

As such Went back into the engine bores Yuk!

Pics soon
Darrenre

Postby Darrenre » Fri Aug 28, 2020 11:14 pm

eric wrote:If you want to borrow a cover I have one for outside use.....

Thank you

Will be in touch soon. May have it under control
Darrenre

Postby Darrenre » Sat Aug 29, 2020 6:05 pm

Finally got the 6th plug out today/ pumped Seafoam and wd40 in and out of the bores and tubes are yuk! The stuff that has come out is not nice. Couple of pics below. All bores full of wd40 tonight to get a good soak before I try to hand spin the motor. Is that best via the flywheel?
Attachments
F3DDFF20-5D87-44A1-B094-B9A5E4E94E40.jpeg
F3DDFF20-5D87-44A1-B094-B9A5E4E94E40.jpeg (2.99 MiB) Viewed 9515 times
0_U4Dg2UTnqv9d0nr2edIA 2.jpg
0_U4Dg2UTnqv9d0nr2edIA 2.jpg (159.34 KiB) Viewed 9515 times
jVuxIVfZQqiQIGzyhk1sqA 2.jpg
jVuxIVfZQqiQIGzyhk1sqA 2.jpg (79.93 KiB) Viewed 9515 times
Darrenre

Postby DMC1983 » Sat Aug 29, 2020 6:12 pm

I would get a 35mm ring spanner on the crank pulley. You could use a socket but you would need to remove the muffler to do it that way.

What is that in the 2nd picture?
DeLoryan
VIN 5219 - Oct 81
Grey Interior, Manual
Grooved Hood
DMC1983

Spaxed

PreviousNext

Return to Members Cars or Unique DeLoreans