DMC wanted

DeLorean Cars For Sale or DeLorean Cars Wanted

Re: DMC wanted

Postby jerzybondov » Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:49 pm

dmc-joe wrote:Yes I recall one in particluar on ebay back a few months ago - I think from memory it was running but had a very rough body and interior and I think it made £12500 or something like that?? It was discussed on one of the forums although I'm not sure if it was this forum.

If I could manage to get one around the 12k mark and it was a rough non runner how easy are they to work at? Are parts easy enough to get for them? I don't even know anyone here in NI who would know anything about them, although admittedly it is a renault engine which may help things.

If we're thinking of the same car at £12500 then this definitely wouldn't have classed as a passable runner. There is a big difference between a car in which the engine 'runs' and a car you can actually drive reliably.

They're not wildly difficult to work on, but some mechanical knowledge and experience would definitely be a big plus. Parts aren't a problem bar the left front wing, although cross ref engines and parts are becoming harder to get hold of as the Volvo donors all get scrapped. DMC EU and US have all plenty of engine spares but they're more expensive.

My advice would be to visit some of the NI owners and get a feel for the car that way. Perhaps go to a meet if they're having one over there in the near future?
VIN 7176
Official Club Reaper Extraordinaire.
jerzybondov

VIN #: 7176
Spaxed

Postby Dangermouse » Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:27 pm

As with any classic car, I would advise you to buy the best one you can afford (unless you are the sort of person who gets more enjoyment out of working on a car than actually driving it, which you imply that you are not)

If you are able to get a 12k runner, vs a 22k runner, (and you will always get your money back on either one), the odds of you enjoying a 22k car are much greater than a 12k car.
Dermot
vin 2743
Ex-Dunmurry-ite,
but now nr. Atlanta GA
US o'A

Vin 2743 – Black, Auto, non-lowered, non-Spaxed, non-carbed, non-turbo’d, non-de-catted, just as Neal drove it on the boat in August ‘81
Dangermouse

VIN #: 2743

Postby Admin-bloke » Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:53 pm

There is one nearer your price range and in N Ireland but it needs a bit of work to get it through an mot and interior clean. I have spoken to the person and they will contact you via a pm on here. It does run by the way.

Expect to pay nearer £15k all in for a basic runner.

Good luck on your quest and let us know how you get on.
Admin-bloke, "The D Whisperer"
Pie n Pint Northerner....
Vin #4068 - y'official "Mighty Auto" test car for Admin-bloke tuning.

https://www.justgiving.com/campnibble

Forum Founder [means I just installed it........] and Tech Help
DeLorean Club

The Future's Bright....
The Future's
DeLorean Club
Admin-bloke

VIN #: 4068
Spaxed

Postby dmc-joe » Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:03 pm

Admin-bloke wrote:There is one nearer your price range and in N Ireland but it needs a bit of work to get it through an mot and interior clean. I have spoken to the person and they will contact you via a pm on here. It does run by the way.

Expect to pay nearer £15k all in for a basic runner.

Good luck on your quest and let us know how you get on.

Thank you good sir, much appreciated ;)

I will look out for the pm :thumbsup:
dmc-joe

Postby dmc-joe » Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:14 pm

Thanks all the rest of the lads for the input and comments - keep them coming along with any suitable cars for sale you know of :thumbsup:

I don't know what the problem is with delorean.ie - I've requested for the activation link to be sent to my email 3 times but it just won't come and I've checked junk mail and everything. It is the correct username and email address I've entered so I don't know what to do now :?:
dmc-joe

Postby Kenny » Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:21 pm

I will send an email to John Dore who set up the Irish forum/site. He can manually activate your account
Kenny

VIN #: 1569

Postby dmc-joe » Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:29 pm

Kenny wrote:I will send an email to John Dore who set up the Irish forum/site. He can manually activate your account

Thank you
dmc-joe

Postby RobvdVeer » Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:23 pm

Biggest advice i can give on any d is to check for frame rust/rot. Your 12k car may become a money pit very easily.

To quote a good friend: "Heed my advice!"
Rob van der Veer
RobvdVeer

VIN #: 0b111001101111
Spaxed

Postby lukebrynycz » Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:21 am

Pay £20k minimum for a good one (at least in the UK) or pay £12k for one from the US and then plough another £10-15k into it to repair everything. The choice is yours, I know which one i'd take ;)
Ex 1981 Delorean Time Machine owner (unofficial replica) officially.
Hire a Delorean or Delorean Time Machine - http://www.deloreanhire.com
lukebrynycz

Previous

Return to DeLorean Cars For Sale / Wanted