DMC wanted

DeLorean Cars For Sale or DeLorean Cars Wanted

DMC wanted

Postby dmc-joe » Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:48 pm

Hey all. I’m a brand new member on here and I’ve joined as I’ve finally decided to bite the bullet and (hopefully) become a DMC-12 owner! :D

I’ve been after a “D” now for quite some time now and I’ve really seriously thought about buying one over this past 12 months. This last year I’ve been noseying around on forums to glean some information from you experts. I’ve been looking at possibly exporting one from the US but don’t know if that’s the way to go for many reasons such as not actually seeing what you are buying and of course all the red tape with importing it, the fees, and making it legal for UK road use – the positives of course is the fact that there is a much greater choice in the US and they are cheaper to buy in most cases, although this is counteracted by the costs associated with importing it as mentioned.

I think what I really need to do is buy one locally - UK or Ireland (I live in Northern Ireland myself) but I think I should buy a cheaper one that is a little rough around the edges ie; needs some bodywork tlc but is mechanically good. My reasoning behind this is that I can get a feel for the car – owning it, driving it – and ultimately deciding whether it is something I would want to stick with permanently. If it’s the case that I want one permanently I would then sell this one as is in a year or so and spend bigger money on a good restored example. The last thing I would want is to go all out and spend 20 grand on one now, realise in a few months time that it isn’t for me and then have trouble getting my money back when I go to sell it what with the market being the way it is…at least if I can buy a roughish one now for reasonable money I should always get it back.

Therefore I am in the market for one for somewhere around the £10-12k mark – I fully realise that it’s not going to be a clean example but I would want one that is mechanically good. I won’t be doing a resto job on one as I don’t have the time or knowhow so I would be selling again in the same condition it was when I bought it and buying another one which has been restored already. I have seen a few on ebay and dmc forums around this price range over the last while but I had either spotted them after they had sold or I didn’t have the funds available to buy at the time.

If anyone can help me out with something in this price range please do let me know by dropping me a message and we can talk.

Thanks for reading!

Joe.
dmc-joe

Re: DMC wanted

Postby jerzybondov » Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:23 pm

Hi Joe. Welcome to the forum.

I think you'll struggle to pick up a UK-based D in good mechanical condition for £10-12k. If you want one that's in good mechanical condition but needs work cosmetically you're looking at at least £15k IMO.

I'd question your logic on finding it easier to get your money back on a rough car than a good car - I think you'll find it easier to sell a good car than a project one (even given the higher price). And the ownership experience will be that much better to boot.

If you're dead set on picking one up for less than £12k you'll have to look to the US - but bear in mind it'll take at least 3-4 months between buying it and actually being able to drive it legally in the UK. And the odds of a roughish one you import needing all sorts of things sorting on it are really quite high.
VIN 7176
Official Club Reaper Extraordinaire.
jerzybondov

VIN #: 7176
Spaxed

Postby dmc-joe » Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:33 pm

jerzybondov wrote:Hi Joe. Welcome to the forum.

I think you'll struggle to pick up a UK-based D in good mechanical condition for £10-12k. If you want one that's in good mechanical condition but needs work cosmetically you're looking at at least £15k IMO.

I'd question your logic on finding it easier to get your money back on a rough car than a good car - I think you'll find it easier to sell a good car than a project one (even given the higher price). And the ownership experience will be that much better to boot.

If you're dead set on picking one up for less than £12k you'll have to look to the US - but bear in mind it'll take at least 3-4 months between buying it and actually being able to drive it legally in the UK. And the odds of a roughish one you import needing all sorts of things sorting on it are really quite high.

Hi.

You may be right, although I have seen a few (albeit few and far between) in that price range so I'm kind of just hoping another one may be laying around. I understand what you're saying about it being easier to sell a good car rather than a rough one but there will always be someone in the same position as myself wanting to start off with a cheaper one just to test the waters so to speak. I know the US import is an option and I may have to go that route but I just want to see what's around. I'm not on here trying to scrounge around for a bargain motor - I am genuinely interested in owning one but as I said I do not want to splash out 20k on a good car to find that owning a DMC is not for me (although I don't think that will happen to be fair as I love these cars). Although as with everything else sometimes the grass can seem greener on the other side and maybe there are a few downsides to owning the actual thing.

Thanks.
dmc-joe

Postby bozzzydmc » Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:52 pm

Your really not going to find anything for less than 15 k in the UK

Likewise there are reasons why $15k cars come up in the US

Mike
Bozzzy | DCUK 003 | Yorkshire, UK

DeLorean Club
bozzzydmc

Postby jwrayth » Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:21 pm

I can second that. I've been looking for a UK DMC for a sub £20k mark in the UK for the past year and haven't found the right one.

You either need to raise your budget if you want a UK car, or look at bringing a US car across.
jwrayth

VIN #: 4494
Spaxed

Postby jerzybondov » Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:26 pm

dmc-joe wrote:
You may be right, although I have seen a few (albeit few and far between) in that price range so I'm kind of just hoping another one may be laying around.

Thanks.

There's been the odd car in the UK going for that money in the last couple of years but none that have been what you could call a passable runner.

dmc-joe wrote:Although as with everything else sometimes the grass can seem greener on the other side and maybe there are a few downsides to owning the actual thing.

Erm.... :shock: :D

But you're in good hands with the crew on here... :thumbsup: :dmcdoors:
VIN 7176
Official Club Reaper Extraordinaire.
jerzybondov

VIN #: 7176
Spaxed

Postby dmc-joe » Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:40 pm

jerzybondov wrote:
dmc-joe wrote:
You may be right, although I have seen a few (albeit few and far between) in that price range so I'm kind of just hoping another one may be laying around.

Thanks.

There's been the odd car in the UK going for that money in the last couple of years but none that have been what you could call a passable runner.

dmc-joe wrote:Although as with everything else sometimes the grass can seem greener on the other side and maybe there are a few downsides to owning the actual thing.

Erm.... :shock: :D

But you're in good hands with the crew on here... :thumbsup: :dmcdoors:

:D Thanks I appreciate it :thumbsup:

Yes I recall one in particluar on ebay back a few months ago - I think from memory it was running but had a very rough body and interior and I think it made £12500 or something like that?? It was discussed on one of the forums although I'm not sure if it was this forum.

If I could manage to get one around the 12k mark and it was a rough non runner how easy are they to work at? Are parts easy enough to get for them? I don't even know anyone here in NI who would know anything about them, although admittedly it is a renault engine which may help things.
dmc-joe

Postby Kenny » Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:02 pm

dmc-joe wrote:If I could manage to get one around the 12k mark and it was a rough non runner how easy are they to work at? Are parts easy enough to get for them? I don't even know anyone here in NI who would know anything about them, although admittedly it is a renault engine which may help things.

Hi Joe and welcome,
There are plenty of knowledgable owners in NI that know the cars inside out and a few that have done full restorations.

If you are looking to get a feel for the car and drive it I would question that a cheap car is the right decision.
You could end up under the car more than driving it which could sour your experience.
Even with a good condition car things break and the cars do need maintenance.

If you are looking for a mechanically sorted car but rough around the edges, bear in mind that the interior/ cosmetic trim can be expensive.
Mechanical parts on the other hand are generally easy to get.

There are a few cars for sale in NI/ Ireland at the moment but all high end price wise.
Kenny

VIN #: 1569

Postby dmc-joe » Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:16 pm

Kenny wrote:
dmc-joe wrote:If I could manage to get one around the 12k mark and it was a rough non runner how easy are they to work at? Are parts easy enough to get for them? I don't even know anyone here in NI who would know anything about them, although admittedly it is a renault engine which may help things.

Hi Joe and welcome,
There are plenty of knowledgable owners in NI that know the cars inside out and a few that have done full restorations.

If you are looking to get a feel for the car and drive it I would question that a cheap car is the right decision.
You could end up under the car more than driving it which could sour your experience.
Even with a good condition car things break and the cars do need maintenance.

If you are looking for a mechanically sorted car but rough around the edges, bear in mind that the interior/ cosmetic trim can be expensive.
Mechanical parts on the other hand are generally easy to get.

There are a few cars for sale in NI/ Ireland at the moment but all high end price wise.

Hi thanks for the input. I do know exactly what you mean - if I buy one that needs loads of work then it may put me off for good. Thing is that I really don't have 20k to spend just at the moment. There is a lovely one advertised on here for 23,500 - I'd love to take a look around it but I wouldn't want the guy selling it to think I'm wasting his time. Incidentally where did you see the others for sale in NI/Ireland?? I've seen that one on here but no others - I've tried to join delorean.ie but I haven't been authorised yet... perhaps there are some more on there?

Joe.
dmc-joe

Postby Kenny » Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:51 pm

I know Pauls car (Willinot) and it is a well sorted car with money put into it and well maintained.

The one below is in Galway. Dont know anything further about it.

http://classifieds.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/delorean/all-models/delorean-dmc-with-gas-flap/855458

The delorean.ie forum should automatically authorise your membership, try checking your junk mail.
Kenny

VIN #: 1569

Next

Return to DeLorean Cars For Sale / Wanted